+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Shock loss or accelerated MPB ?

Hi all,

I discovered this forum after my ht and have found it very beneficial, in fact i wish i had stumbled across it before hand as i am kind of having mixed thoughts on my surgery.

Some back round on me. I am 24 and had been slowly receding since i was about 18 and this year it got to the point where i decided i wanted to do something about it. I looked up the non surgical route that is propecia but on further research i decided i did not want to take the risk of the potential side effect so opted against it. I then begun researching HT's and discovered the FUE procedure. It seemed great for a small surgery with scarring that was less obvious than FUT. I then got in touch with a clinic and the doctor decided that 2000 grafts would be suitable to rebuild my hairline and shortly after i went ahead with the procedure. The implants were done on frontal area that had no hair at all and a few between existing hairs on the front.

Now i am nearly at 8 weeks post op and the recovery process up until now has been very smooth. Scabs came off as advised and most transplanted hair had shed by about the fourth week as i had been told. However i am very concerned with a particular issue. Since around week two post op i have been shedding a huge amount of native hairs all over the top of my scalp paticularly when brushing. The hair themselves seem to be thick healthy hairs. My hair is already looking a lot thinner prior to surgery. I have informed my doctor and he has reassured me and said that it is nothing to worry about as it is just shock loss and the hairs will grow backin a few months. But reading from various sources on the internet some say it may be accelerated mpb due to the fact i had surgery at the early stages of mpb and at a young age.

So my question put simply is am i seeing shock loss or a case of accelerated mpb ? If it is shock loss should it start to subside around the 2 month mark or does it stop all of a sudden ?

I'm naturally a very anxious person and all this is really starting to play on my mind and is making me feel very self conscious. I sometimes think if i had discovered all this information beforehand i probably would not have even gone head with a HT at this stage.

Your advice and comment would be greatly appreciated as i have found very contradicting information on this topic so far.

Thanks.