+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

JeanLuc gave some very bad advice, I second to ignore his comments. Also consider maybe waiting till your mid-twenties (If you can).

Quote Originally Posted by JoeTillman View Post
    Stop.

First off, don't listen to Jeanluc. I'm sorry, but no 22 year old should go to Turkey to get 4000 grafts into the "front". Just, no.

Second, yes, you are too young especially for strip. And while your hair may have thickened from Propecia you're still a NW3V with a thinning forelock. 1200 grafts may give you a "straight" hairline but it will have a low density as Jeanluc said. Your hairline shouldn't be straight to begin with. You should build in some temple recession like that of a NW2 at most.

I do not know Dr. Haber personally, but I have met him and I do think he's a very capable doctor based on cases I've seen but for anyone to suggest that one can "just put SMP into the donor scar" isn't giving you a valid option that has any sort of reliability or consistency.

SMP into donor scars is unpredictable. The pigment can disappear in a matter of weeks or it may stick around and spread into a confluence of color. Scar tissue is different from healthy skin tissue which is why test patches should be performed before fully committing to the procedure. In addition, I've seen several great looking results, of course, but in each one I can see the scar itself and where the SMP is done. In other words, it never makes it go away visually and in most cases it stands out and draws the eye. It would wind up being just one more thing to worry about if you ever did have to shave.

I think ultimately you should have not have a hair transplant and try to accept your current state. Look into using concealers like Dermatch to thicken the crown and forelock area and see how you like that. If you absolutely have to go with surgery then go conservative and try FUE. Don't straighten your hairline. It takes a lot of hair to get what you're talking about and it is hair you can't afford to waste.
    In general, what is the ideal age for a hair transplant?

What is the age which ethical surgeons would unanimously agree it is "safe" to get a transplant assuming no donor thinning or any other abnormal occurences? I.e. a good transplant candidate.

Just looking for maybe an average age for strip as everyone is different. I am guessing it is around 35 as Spencer Kobren said he doesnt recommend any guy get FUT under 35 on the radio show before. Thoughts?

Obviously it is not 22. I am 33 and still concerned about the future loss.

Quote Originally Posted by tedwuji View Post
    In general, what is the ideal age for a hair transplant?

What is the age which ethical surgeons would unanimously agree it is "safe" to get a transplant assuming no donor thinning or any other abnormal occurences? I.e. a good transplant candidate.

Just looking for maybe an average age for strip as everyone is different. I am guessing it is around 35 as Spencer Kobren said he doesnt recommend any guy get FUT under 35 on the radio show before. Thoughts?

Obviously it is not 22. I am 33 and still concerned about the future loss.
    Good debatable question. Lots of variables to consider. certainly one needs to have stabalized their hair loss, preferably naturally and minimally with finasteride. Even then there are no guarantees. I think anyone under 30 is risking it. Just my opinion. I think finding at least two reputable HT surgeons and getting candid advice from them and/or other knowledgeable souces is a great starter. Ultimately the decision comes down to you the patient. If surgery is something one truley desires I'm not sure waiting so late in life makes sense either. I would think wanting to enjoy it during ones more active years is also a consideration. Your 33 and worried about future loss. Im sure you will be 53 and worried about future loss. Thats one we all share. Its why some of us continue the drugs indefinitely.

No ideal age really, you have to take a calculated risk. In hair loss, really everything below 40 is young. You'll have to balance how your hair loss will evolve, what you will do if the procedure fails vs whether you can tolerate living like this.

I think the best thing to consider is preparing for the worst, which is "the life of endless procedures".

That's what I'm doing and I'm fine with it because I work my ass off to get money. I rather be rich and with hair then poor and bald.

I know it sounds easier than it is, but the truth is you can market a product for someone and if you work hard and research non-stop on google you'll have the money. Otherwise, I don't see how going in for an FUE surgery every 4-5 years is a pain. I love the feeling, it's like I'm telling my destiny FU !

Richter101 is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

Born Oct ’89
    Began Seeing Gradual Hair Loss Oct ’09
    Began Seeing Gradual Hair Gain June ’15

My regimen includes:
    HT #1 2200 (ARTAS- FUE) grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2016
    Finasteride daily, since 2014
    Rogaine experimenter from 2012- ’13 RIP

Planning HT #2 By End of This Year

Quote Originally Posted by Hairbrain View Post
    Good debatable question. Lots of variables to consider. certainly one needs to have stabalized their hair loss, preferably naturally and minimally with finasteride. Even then there are no guarantees. I think anyone under 30 is risking it. Just my opinion. I think finding at least two reputable HT surgeons and getting candid advice from them and/or other knowledgeable souces is a great starter. Ultimately the decision comes down to you the patient. If surgery is something one truley desires I'm not sure waiting so late in life makes sense either. I would think wanting to enjoy it during ones more active years is also a consideration. Your 33 and worried about future loss. Im sure you will be 53 and worried about future loss. Thats one we all share. Its why some of us continue the drugs indefinitely.
    Completely ridiculous comment. No one cares about being bald or having a grafts at the front along with a bald top and crown when they're 45 years old. If you're a 20 year old balding guy, why not go for a transplant every few years and look like a guy with a beautiful mane? You shouldn't be sitting there suffering in your 20s because of hairloss, DO something about it and who cares about the future, in a decade there will probably be a cure. In the mean time, saying someone should live their 20s as a balding man is outright stupid. Shame on you, the amount of mens mental health issues that could be solved with decent transplants are huge. And I say Turkey is better than the US because their procedures, densities, aesthetics and graft survival rate is much higher. A quarter of the price of the US, and twice as good quality wise. Anyone who says the US is a good place for a transplant is conning people.

Quote Originally Posted by richter101 View Post
    I think the best thing to consider is preparing for the worst, which is "the life of endless procedures".

That's what I'm doing and I'm fine with it because I work my ass off to get money. I rather be rich and with hair then poor and bald.

I know it sounds easier than it is, but the truth is you can market a product for someone and if you work hard and research non-stop on google you'll have the money. Otherwise, I don't see how going in for an FUE surgery every 4-5 years is a pain. I love the feeling, it's like I'm telling my destiny FU !

Richter101 is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

Born Oct ’89
    Began Seeing Gradual Hair Loss Oct ’09
    Began Seeing Gradual Hair Gain June ’15

My regimen includes:
    HT #1 2200 (ARTAS- FUE) grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2016
    Finasteride daily, since 2014
    Rogaine experimenter from 2012- ’13 RIP

Planning HT #2 By End of This Year
    Well said, why live and suffer in silence because some idiots on a forum who went to dodgy, idiotic American surgeons at $10 grand for 1000 grafts in a back alley in Chicago didn't like their results? Find a good surgeon like Koray Erdogan in Turkey (who is also very competitively priced) and change your life for the better. Very happy for you.

Quote Originally Posted by JeanlucBergman View Post
    Completely ridiculous comment. No one cares about being bald or having a grafts at the front along with a bald top and crown when they're 45 years old. If you're a 20 year old balding guy, why not go for a transplant every few years and look like a guy with a beautiful mane? You shouldn't be sitting there suffering in your 20s because of hairloss, DO something about it and who cares about the future, in a decade there will probably be a cure.
    Terrible advice. Anyone who starts getting transplants at the age of 20 will be chasing his hair loss for decades to come. Anyone who is balding at 20 will more than likely be a NW6 or 7. There are only so many grafts a NW6 or 7 can have harvested, to just start filling in areas that are thinning at the age of 20 can prove to be disastrous. There are many victims on this site and elsewhere around the world to prove that very case.. There probably isn't one IAHRS recommended doctor that would ever preform a HT on a 20 year old without a good reason (burn, accident, etc...). Try consulting with one of them and you will get the same reasoning I am offering here. Waiting for a cure? Really? I remember 20 years ago claims that a cure was right around the corner (it always is). A cure has been a threaded topic on this and other sites for decades. Someday maybe. Could be 30 years out could be 100. Who knows. I do know billions of dollars has been spent on the research to no avail. If the possibility of finding a cure is part of your plan to counter hair loss good luck. Not to mention the price of a cure. Funny comment about why not go for hair transplants at 20 and keep a beautiful mane. First transplants can not ever give back original density even for for somebody with limitless donor and I can promise you a balding 20 year old will never have limitless donor. Be careful who you listen to. Don't take my advice or especially the advice of anyone ever telling you to have a transplant. Talk to multiple recommended HT surgeons and get the advice you deserve. Make you decisions carefully and with time. Even then there are no guarantees but at least your odds become much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairbrain View Post
    Terrible advice. Anyone who starts getting transplants at the age of 20 will be chasing his hair loss for decades to come. Anyone who is balding at 20 will more than likely be a NW6 or 7. There are only so many grafts a NW6 or 7 can have harvested, to just start filling in areas that are thinning at the age of 20 can prove to be disastrous. There are many victims on this site and elsewhere around the world to prove that very case.. There probably isn't one IAHRS recommended doctor that would ever preform a HT on a 20 year old without a good reason (burn, accident, etc...). Try consulting with one of them and you will get the same reasoning I am offering here. Waiting for a cure? Really? I remember 20 years ago claims that a cure was right around the corner (it always is). A cure has been a threaded topic on this and other sites for decades. Someday maybe. Could be 30 years out could be 100. Who knows. I do know billions of dollars has been spent on the research to no avail. If the possibility of finding a cure is part of your plan to counter hair loss good luck. Not to mention the price of a cure. Funny comment about why not go for hair transplants at 20 and keep a beautiful mane. First transplants can not ever give back original density even for for somebody with limitless donor and I can promise you a balding 20 year old will never have limitless donor. Be careful who you listen to. Don't take my advice or especially the advice of anyone ever telling you to have a transplant. Talk to multiple recommended HT surgeons and get the advice you deserve. Make you decisions carefully and with time. Even then there are no guarantees but at least your odds become much better.
    I also noticed Joe recommended to someone else that 3000 grafts for the front of the hairline is a reasonable number, despite making fun of me and criticising me for suggest EXACTLY THE SAME THING. You guys have your idiotic little in club and criticise anyone who doesn't just reaffirm what you say, it's laughable. And there are plenty of IAHRS doctors such as Koray Erdogan who have done FUEs on 20 year olds.

"Funny comment about why not go for hair transplants at 20 and keep a beautiful mane. First transplants can not ever give back original density"

You only say this because you're obsessed with useless American doctors who don't do particularly good jobs. You're also focusing on your own experience and Joe's who had transplants over a decade ago. This isn't the 1980s, HAVE A LOOK and you'll see that people are getting natural, and full density results at 3500 grafts with strong NW1.5 temples and still leaving half their donor area in tact. Hair transplant surgeons particularly in the states are mostly idiots who charge 5 times the amount of typical transplant destinations at 2/3rds the density and graft survival rate, then go onto say "well at least you'll know you're safe with me!"

If you're worried about your hair at 22, try out minoxidil, nizoral and fin or DHT blockers, and if you can stabilize comfortable then GET THE TRANSPLANT! Don't sit in silence suffering throughout your 20s, it will be the worst decision you ever make.

PLEASE don't listen to Hairbrain and Joe who got badly done transplants decades ago and wasted their donor area, and now want to stop anyone else from getting better results and living a happy youth. Save your life, get the transplant! In saying that, try to stabilise your losses and spend a year looking around globally for your best option for a great transplant, but then GET IT DONE! Don't waste your 20s being bald.

I would also recommend to look solely at IAHRS surgeons.