PRP/ACell Experience - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default PRP/ACell Experience

Hey, all. I'm a 27-y.o. guy with pretty bad genetics - both grandfathers are very bald, and my dad started thinning and balding at a young age. Been on finasteride as prophylaxis since I was 20/21 (although the right temporal corner continued to recede slowly since I was 18). About a year ago, my hair began to thin throughout the top, and the hairline receded visibly by at least 1 cm. I suspect this may have been triggered by the stress of a tough breakup, but in any case... I started using Nizoral last winter, and I honestly don't really think it helped at all. Also started using minoxidil in select areas, and again - no appreciable results from >7 months of use.

I decided to get PRP/ACell ("Hair Regeneration") by Prasad in NY, and I had the injections in late September. Figured I'd let you know about the experience.

They'll tug back your hair with headbands and get a bunch of pics during the preliminary appointment, and it's kind of scary when you see, unfiltered, how bad things have gotten. They also take some hair samples to be able to compare hair quality down the road to pre-procedure quality.

Procedure itself is pretty painful, to be honest, but I've never cared about that - I'd happily take that pain every single month if it meant keeping my hair.

I went for a 3-month follow-up last week, and the people in the practice tried to convince me that there was measurable improvement, but I know that my shedding hasn't stopped - it continues apace. With that said, Dr. Prasad does say that the results really can only be fairly expected at least six months post-procedure, so I'm fine with waiting patiently.

Something positive I've noticed is that many of the hairs I shed do seem to be significantly healthier (thicker, and with more color) than those I was shedding several months ago. I'm hoping that, if nothing else, the procedure will aggressively slow the thinning on top and hairline recession. I'm assuming that I'm going to get a transplant down the road, but the goal is to buy myself a few years.

I'm about 4 months out from the procedure, and my impression thus far is that while it's somewhat effective in improving hair caliber, it does nothing to halt loss. So, it'll improve your hair, but won't save it.

If I hadn't gotten the procedure, I'd have wondered "What if?" for the rest of my life, but at this point, I'd prefer to have spent that $4500 on transplanting hairs from my chest (or even underarms - my underarm hair is straight and approximately the same color as my scalp hair) to my temples.

Are you doing BHT transplantation?
    Is Acell ineffective
    Prp difference hair health.
    Acell does not provide any data.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I am considering PRP too, but it is expensive for me. Seems to be a hit or miss for people. For most people its a miss. I will be following this.

Quote Originally Posted by Reester View Post
    Thanks for sharing your experience. I am considering PRP too, but it is expensive for me. Seems to be a hit or miss for people. For most people its a miss. I will be following this.
    Something else that's relevant is that I'm barely a Norwood 2 as far as my hairline goes, so one might reasonably assume that I would be the "ideal" candidate for a procedure that's supposed to be optimally undergone as early as possible. So, if it's not working for me...

Every doctor has a different PrP. Many PrP kit that doctors use are very affordable (inexpensive). Some surgeon takes your blood, shakes it in a vile and calls it PrP, but it is not. Before seeking treatment research what PRP kit they use. I believe Cytokine PrP is very impressive.

I also went to Prasad one month ago. I found him and his staff completely unprofessional and unethical. I still did the procedure because I have the possible hope it will somehow work. Prasad practically guaranteed stopping further hair loss. My initial consultation was much better and I felt good about him. He told me I can stop taking Avodart with this PRP. After I had the procedure he said I should stay on the medication. Strange. Also, the references they gave me were bogus. I had huge argument with him because of this and now I don't want to go back. Not sure what to do or where to go now.

Doc, I also went to Prasad about 2 months ago. The initial consultation was good but when I went for the PRP, I found him and his staff completely unprofessional. I still went through it, because I have to give every possibility a try. When it turned out that the references they gave me were bogus, I had a falling out with Prasad and he went ballistic. Needless to say I can't go back, nor do I want to. I don't know if he is a fraud, but it seems like he probably is. No ethical Dr would act this way. Even his staff told me things which made no sense and acted unprofessional. I'm not sure what to do now. Most of these Hair loss doctors are frauds and it's a terrible thing.

wen4663 what are the references that tuned out bad?

they were friends instead of unbiased patients