+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Is hair loss really more distressing for women?

There seems to be this conventional wisdom that hair loss should be far more distressing for women than for men and I'm sorry but I just don't get it. Let's compare the two situations.

If you're male and start losing your hair, regardless of how young you are, you:

1) Get ridiculed by your friends with comments like 'getting a bit thin on top' and 'chrome dome.'

2) Are laughed at for taking medication to stop or slow down your baldness.

3) Are mocked if you try to cover up with Toppik or a toupe, especially in the media who think slap stick jokes about wigs falling off are hilarious.

4) Have no real prospect of any current medication working.

5) Are looked down on and considered 'unmanly' for worrying about your hair loss.

6) Create a first impression of subservience and insecurity that leads to many doors closing on various career paths (for example entertainment, politics, business management).

7) Have little prospect of the Government paying grants to research and cure your type of hair loss.

However, if you are a woman, you get:

1) Lots of sympathy from your friends and family who recognise that you have an undesirable condition.

2) Are expected to take medication to try and reverse your hair loss.

3) Some medications actually work for female hair loss and the chances of some regrowth are good.

4) Are not laughed at for wearing a wig (the NHS even provide wigs for female cancer patients as if it's the done thing). Ever seen slap stick humour on TV where a woman's wig falls off?

5) Are considered courageous if you embrace your baldness (e.g. Mo Mowlam, Gail Porter etc)

6) Have no fears for your career because you'll be seen as courageous (even if you wear a wig)

7) The Government will spend money trying to cure your condition.

The only downside for women is that transplants tend to be less effective. There is the argument that it is less common for women to go bald and there are conformity issues, but the statistics suggest that's nonsense, it's just that women have been allowed to cover up without mockery so they're more likely to do so and slip under the radar.

Also, when you speak of conformity, statistically men in their 20s are no more likely to lose their hair than women. So why are men berated for wanting to conform when women aren't?

I think it's time to accept hair loss affects both men and women just as hard and the jokes about male pattern baldness need to stop.

Hey, I agree AGAIN.

Men have it tougher than women for sure.

I am really curious what you think of eucapil/fluridil check out a thread that I made about it: http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=2557

I disagree. Id rather be a balding dude than a balding chick any day. I mean....I'd rather just not be balding, but If I had to choose.

I just feel like the pressure to "look good" is a bit higher for girls. Also there are a lot more bald guys so its less of a big deal. In addition guys are generally more visually than emotionally driven. What I mean is: I know a fair few ugly-ass guys with smokin hot girlfriends. I don't know too many if any hot guys going out with ugly girls.... but this is all just personal experience so I could be wrong.

Also, what do you mean they have more hairloss treatments? I know that is wrong. Women have 2% minox. Men have 5% minox and finasteride.

Things like Thymuskin work for a lot of female hair loss sufferers.

Hey fixed have you seen my recent posts about Spironolactone and fluridil? Eager to hear what you have to say.

I am going to give Spironolactone a try soon, going to order some anduse on my temples together with minoxidil 15%. I think otherwise I don't really have a good chance of any regrowth at the temples. I gotta use all the guns I have.

without a dobt its worse for women. How many bald guys do you see in a typical day? ( i see a ton) How many bald women do you see in a typical day?

Its acceptable for guys to be bald, we might think it sucks but you ask alot of people and they would say no one cares if a guy goes bald, you ask those same people about a woman going bald and people would say its a big deal.

Inactive

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Fixed by 35 View Post
    However, if you are a woman, you get: Lots of sympathy from your friends and family who recognise that you have an undesirable condition.
    Maybe women get more sympathy because hair loss is in fact much harder for women to have to live with, eh?

I doubt you could find a single bald guy who, if offered the opportunity, would willingly switch and become a bald woman instead.

Quote Originally Posted by gmonasco View Post
    Maybe women get more sympathy because hair loss is in fact much harder for women to have to live with, eh?

I doubt you could find a single bald guy who, if offered the opportunity, would willingly switch and become a bald woman instead.
    Also, women don't necessarily get more sympathy. They get more looks of "what's wrong with her?", "she must be sick", "she must not take good care of herself," etc. Whereas when people see a bald man, they just accept it for what it is rather than assuming it must be his own fault.

And many girls with thinning hair have to deal with nasty comments from some guys about it, sometimes even their own boyfriends. Not everyone is sympathetic and understanding. I know a girl whose fiance dumped her when he found out she was losing her hair.

There is a difference between a bald woman and a woman with thinning hair though. Honestly, between a bald man and bald woman, I would definitely say the bald woman has it worse because of the way society would view her. But between a balding man and woman with thinning hair...I really would say it's a toss up. Losing hair is more painful for a woman because of the emphasis on female looks in society, but then again it isn't nearly as noticeable and doesn't have as much of an effect on her overall appearance (except for the unlucky few women who get MPB).

Hair loss is worse for women.

A girl could be ugly, but if she has beautiful long hair, and thick hair, it really save her looks and do a lot for her.

Perfectly ok to vent here, but please don't project these negative views outside of here if you are trying to pick up a girl as it ain't going to happen.

You are describing hypocritical people and you should take your frustration out on them, not women who are victims too.