+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I found this and had to comment.

I don't think anyone can say it's harder for men or for women. It all comes down to the individual and how it plays a role in his or her life.

I would think if anything, going bald is more socially acceptable for a man than a woman, because it's more common and expected. Not to mention, women are judged for their looks WAY more than guys are, and looks are seen to be a bigger part of what gives a woman her worth. On the other hand, with hair loss in particular, it tends to be not nearly as severe or noticeable on women. I know many women who have lost a substantial portion of their hair, and because the loss is diffuse, most people wouldn't even notice unless it were specifically pointed out to them. Obviously the same cannot be said of a man's receding hairline and bald spot. Most women with hair loss, while they have thinner hair, don't have a hugely significant alteration to their overall appearance, since they still have the same hairline and can still frame their face the same way. But, at the same time...I can't emphasize how much it sucks for a woman to have thick, awesome hair as a teenager and then it just goes away and is thin and limp. Hairdressers make unwanted comments, people wonder if she is sick, etc. while with men, they'll just accept that you're losing your hair, not assume that there's something wrong with you. Honestly, given how much it sucks on both sides, I think I'd say it's a toss-up.

The only thing I would say is that it's harder for the people who have to experience it younger, than it is for the people who didn't have to deal with hair loss until their 40s or 50s. Personally, I don't see how this is even debatable, but I brought this up in another forum and got SLAMMED for it.

I think people should avoid trying to one-up each other claiming it's harder for them than it is for the other, and agree that hair loss sucks for everyone.

Go Histogen!

Inactive

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Fixed by 35 View Post
    Yes, but whereas it is acceptable for a woman to hide her condition and succeed in her career, it is not acceptable for a man. I'm thinking purely from a career perspective here.
    Really? So there isn't even one guy who wears a hairpiece and has a successful career?

Inactive

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Fixed by 35 View Post
    However, if you are a woman, you get: Lots of sympathy from your friends and family who recognise that you have an undesirable condition.
    Maybe women get more sympathy because hair loss is in fact much harder for women to have to live with, eh?

I doubt you could find a single bald guy who, if offered the opportunity, would willingly switch and become a bald woman instead.

Quote Originally Posted by gmonasco View Post
    Maybe women get more sympathy because hair loss is in fact much harder for women to have to live with, eh?

I doubt you could find a single bald guy who, if offered the opportunity, would willingly switch and become a bald woman instead.
    Also, women don't necessarily get more sympathy. They get more looks of "what's wrong with her?", "she must be sick", "she must not take good care of herself," etc. Whereas when people see a bald man, they just accept it for what it is rather than assuming it must be his own fault.

And many girls with thinning hair have to deal with nasty comments from some guys about it, sometimes even their own boyfriends. Not everyone is sympathetic and understanding. I know a girl whose fiance dumped her when he found out she was losing her hair.

There is a difference between a bald woman and a woman with thinning hair though. Honestly, between a bald man and bald woman, I would definitely say the bald woman has it worse because of the way society would view her. But between a balding man and woman with thinning hair...I really would say it's a toss up. Losing hair is more painful for a woman because of the emphasis on female looks in society, but then again it isn't nearly as noticeable and doesn't have as much of an effect on her overall appearance (except for the unlucky few women who get MPB).

Hair loss is worse for women.

A girl could be ugly, but if she has beautiful long hair, and thick hair, it really save her looks and do a lot for her.

Perfectly ok to vent here, but please don't project these negative views outside of here if you are trying to pick up a girl as it ain't going to happen.

You are describing hypocritical people and you should take your frustration out on them, not women who are victims too.