Threaded View

Default What causes testosterone to raise in women?

Hi there,
    I have just got blood tests back showing I have high testosterone and low ferritin. I high SBH levels which is good but I think thats from taking the herb saw palmetto.I had blood taken in February while I was on the pill and had low ferritin then but normal/low testosterone. I stopped the pill (Yasmin) on advice it will lower copper which was extremely high for me at the time (and very low B12). Having come off the pill my hair loss has worsened, and it has fallen out at rates of 500 a day and I have also develeoped acne. The hair loss is a general thinning overall, but is especially bad on the sides of my head.
    I was on Diane 35 for years and had no problem but switched to Yasmin (because Diane35 was issued as a health warning for blood clots here in NZ). After switching to Yasmin my hair loss started. i stopped Yasmin in Feb this year. I have had hair loss for one year now and it's very aggressive.
    My GP has started me on Spironaltone at 25mg and she thinks I should consider going back on Diane35 but isn't sure as I'm sensitive to BCPs. She also wants me to be tested for PCOS because of the testosterone, acne and irregular periods. I don't have facial hair, body hair, middle wieght, the hair loss isn't patterned and am not insulin resistant (which she tested for too).
    My questuons are:
    1: What causes testosterone to go up in women? (I know coming off the pill has shown I have a high level, but want to work out WHY it's high so that I can treat the cause, ie is it ovaries, adrenals or pituitary).
    2: Does blocking testosterone stop the hair loss and growth will start?
    3: Can low ferritin and high testosterone cause diffuse thinning and rapid loss (200-500 hairs a day)? Is this TE or AGA and can you have both a once?
    It's all very confusing and any advice would be greatly appreciated