+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JeanlucBergman View Post
    Keto, along with DHT blockers like Saw Palmetto and Beta sitosterol have studies to back up their usefulness. You make yourself sound like a fool to call them snake oil when a lot of hair supplements get better reviews than FDA approved treatments like Rogaine. Keto is also clinically proven to decrease hairloss and improve growth. Studies suggest that keto 2% along with fin is indistinguishable to 5% minox along with fin. I can guarantee I know more than you about hairloss, you haven't looked at the science or any studies, you've looked at what the FDA has approved and made up your mind. Your close mindedness and rejection of the science hardly makes you deserving of respect.

Again, I am not saying that fin and minox are not worth trying as they are clearly the gold standard in hair loss treatment, however to go to these with minimal recession and thinning without trying less side effect prone treatment for six months is plain idiotic. Both Minoxidil and Fin are serious drugs, no one can deny that.
    I will not debate you here whether or not I have more knowledge than you about hairloss. But I can tell you I started loosing my hair at around 16. I have tried everthing you suggested above and a lot more. I have had a total of 7 hair transplants over 25 plus years. I have a literal library of everything from medical journals to university studies centering around hairloss and hairloss solutions. I've had one on one conversations with some of the worlds leading physicians and patient advocates concerning hairloss. If you dig deep enough into the real medical research about minoxidil you will find it is not a long term solution as a DHT inhibitor. It often provides a temporary slowdown and some minimal regrowth for some patients. As far as sides are concerned with Finasteride, the fact is Tylenol has not only more potential sides but those sides are more common than any from Finasteride. Please see Joe Tillmans website Hairtransplantmentor.com to educate yourself about this and maybe some other basic topics concerning hairloss. If you you don't know who he is that wouldn't surprise me either.

Anyone who has had SEVEN hair transplants isn't worth listening to. I agree with your point on Minoxidil, but as a short term means of sparking some regrowth it isn't a bad option. A formula without Propylene glycol in particular and one with DHT blockers like Lipogaine sensitive is well worth it if this sounds appealing. Minoxidil on it's own does not inhibit DHT AT ALL. Your point about Tylenol is nonsense, most people aren't taking Tylenol every day like they would be for fin, which can permanently alter hormonal balance and libido. I don't deny Hairtransplantmentor is a good resource either.

In all seriousness, how can you have had seven hair transplants? how many grafts have you had? Also what is your opinion on ketoconazole?

My latest recent HT was with Dr. Jerry Wong totalling 3197 grafts. My two prior sessions with now retired Dr. Bobby Limmer was approximatley 2000 grafts. Dr. Bobby Limmer is the inovator of MFU and the first to utilize microscopes for hair transplantations. Before those HTs I probably had a total of 1000 grafts. Its hard to say because those grafts were not follicular units. They were what was called mini micros, having anywhere between 1 and 8 hairs a graft. If they would have been MFUs it probably would be more like 2500. Yeah I had a lot of donor and according to Dr. Wong I have another strip left and can move on to FUE afterward if I so desire. Just so you're aware Joe Tillman, the foremost patient advocate for hair transplantation and owner of hairtransplantmentor.com has had a total of 9 transplants. I know you stated no one with 7 transplants would be worth listening to but Joe is the man. Like myself he has been through it all and then some. He was a NW6 and now has what appears to be a full head of natural looking hair. His first 2 transplants were done by an unkown unqualified Dr., however he was amazingly repaired by Dr. Jerry Wong. Please go back to his site, take the time to read his story look at his pictures and then maybe think about your former statement in regards who should or shouldn't be listened to.. Joe is a world known patient advocate that has the respect of the best hair transplant surgeons and hair loss experts alike. You like I could learn alot from him. http://www.hairtransplantmentor.com/...r-transplants/

Just to add I didnt mean to imply that minoxidil is a DHT inhibitor. It is a vasodialator which is why it is often used in adjunct with Finasteride. As far as ketoconazole is concerned, I have no real opinion. At most it may work as well as a low level dose of minoxidil at worst, which is probably the actual case for most it does absolutely nothing. There are certainly those who use it as part of their regiment but usually with a bunch of other "treatments" as well.

Dr Wong does great work especially on later norwoods, however only millionares can afford him. Koray Erdogan in Turkey is doing transplants of a similar standard, for less than half the price.

I stand by what I said, the studies make it pretty clear that in some people c02 extracted high % fatty acid saw palmetto alone has had a similar effect to finasteride, while there are studies showing similar reduction in free DHT and alpha 5 reductase in pumpkin seed oil, grape seed oil and nettle extract. Even on this regime some people get side effects similar to those on fin within the first week, so if someone is interested in trying finasteride I would highly recommend they go with this to start off with.

We all know minoxidil is clinically proven to regrow and maintain hair, even if after a 3-5 it might go back to the baseline, however regrowth is a desirable option for someone in their 20s. Something like lipogaine sensitive without Propylene glycol also avoids irritation in most users, and taking hydrolized collagen peptides can help with the effects it has on skin.

Plenty of studies on keto, and also those that depict results with a combinations such as fin and min, fin and keto and all three, fin and min along with fin and keto being similar, and both 20-30% more effective than fin alone. Keto and min alone have also shown strong results in studies during the first few years, which is a typical study length.

To say a more natural approach doesn't work is an outright lie and makes you sound like an idiot, the best beginner treatment for someone with minimal loss is a keto shampoo, minoxidil without Propylene glycol and a supplement like Lipogaine. If no results in 6 months, then they should be aware of finasteride as the next step, but one that the MAJORITY OF USERS DON'T MAKE IT PAST THE FIRST YEAR WITH.

Fin and minoxidil my man.

Quote Originally Posted by baldbrah369 View Post
    Fin and minoxidil my man.
    It will work wonders, but most people can't stay the course with fin.

I wouldn't recommend the shampoo unless a fungal infection is the cause of your hair loss. The Biotin as a natural supplement is gold, though.

I would take Minoxidil + Biotin + Saw Palmetto to start off; hold off on the Finasteride unless you're really desperate, because those side effects can be really nasty.

Hey jean what other vitamins would you recommend to help.with lowering DHT?

Quote Originally Posted by bmoreno299 View Post
    Hey jean what other vitamins would you recommend to help.with lowering DHT?
    There is a giant list of vitamins and supplements that supposedly lower DHT, off the top of my head: saw palmetto, pumpkin seed oil, grape seed oil, green tea, black tea, giant dodder, stinging nettle, beta sisosterol. The only three that have clear evidence and have been studied in reasonable detail are saw palmetto, pumpkin seed oil and beta sisosterol. High quality extracts rather than the plant itself are of much more use than the product itself. Beta sisosterol should have the best chance of making a difference according to the studies, however much more work has been done on saw palmetto research. I have also heard of a number of people getting sexual sides from beta sisosterol, which bodes well for its effectiveness. Most of these work by reducing the enzyme alpha 5 reductase which aids in DHT production but also sexual functioning, however there is another supplement S-equol that is supposed to bind to free DHT directly, and therefore reduce the possibility of sexual sides, the science is pretty clear but I can't find anyone who has success with it and people aren't clear about what dosage is necessary. Even if they don't work for you, at least if you're someone incredibly sensitive and get sides from natural remedies then you know you're not going to do well on finasteride.

I would say that the primary reason I came to believe in natural remedies as having a noticeable effect is I was on a creatine supplement for body building about 12 months ago, and within 4 months had lost about 2 years worth of hair at 22, despite the data suggesting hairloss is generally linear. I looked into it and there is substantial evidence that daily use of creatine can increase DHT by 50%. Drugs designed to manipulate hormones are always going to be stronger, however there is good reason to look into diet and supplements.