+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by k9gatton View Post
    You're saying something that has no scientific proof, at all.
    I've had enough talking to such a bright bulb. Back to hibernation. Good luck BTT!

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7672621

Minoxidil is an inhibitor of lysyl hydroxylase, an enzyme involved in collagen production, and decreases collagen production in vitro.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11760039

Minoxidil inhibited LEC migration and proliferation in vitro, as well as collagen secretion. Collagen secretion may be essential for LEC migration and proliferation.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2826267

Two important findings related to the effect of minoxidil on human skin fibroblasts in culture are reviewed. Treatment of cells with minoxidil is associated with a specific loss of lysyl hydroxylase activity; this loss occurs gradually and is reversed by removing minoxidil from the culture medium. Experiments with inhibitors of protein and RNA synthesis reveal that minoxidil may inhibit the synthesis of lysyl hydroxylase by acting at the transcriptional level. Treatment of cells with minoxidil is also associated with inhibition of proliferation, without any sign of cytotoxicity. This effect of minoxidil is accompanied by inhibition of DNA synthesis. Since collagen is the major product of fibroblast activity and lysyl hydroxylase catalyzes a crucial reaction in collagen biosynthesis, the combined effects of minoxidil offer the potential for its use as an antifibrotic agent. Thus, minoxidil may prove to be beneficial in treating skin conditions associated with collagen accumulation.

In vivo study though, didn't show inhibition:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...MC3985251/#B27

Quote Originally Posted by bornthisway View Post
    I've had enough talking to such a bright bulb. Back to hibernation. Good luck BTT!

Minoxidil is an inhibitor of lysyl hydroxylase, an enzyme involved in collagen production, and decreases collagen production in vitro.

Minoxidil inhibited LEC migration and proliferation in vitro, as well as collagen secretion. Collagen secretion may be essential for LEC migration and proliferation.

Two important findings related to the effect of minoxidil on human skin fibroblasts in culture are reviewed. Treatment of cells with minoxidil is associated with a specific loss of lysyl hydroxylase activity; this loss occurs gradually and is reversed by removing minoxidil from the culture medium. Experiments with inhibitors of protein and RNA synthesis reveal that minoxidil may inhibit the synthesis of lysyl hydroxylase by acting at the transcriptional level. Treatment of cells with minoxidil is also associated with inhibition of proliferation, without any sign of cytotoxicity. This effect of minoxidil is accompanied by inhibition of DNA synthesis. Since collagen is the major product of fibroblast activity and lysyl hydroxylase catalyzes a crucial reaction in collagen biosynthesis, the combined effects of minoxidil offer the potential for its use as an antifibrotic agent. Thus, minoxidil may prove to be beneficial in treating skin conditions associated with collagen accumulation.
    What a waste of typing for you. Again, more scare mongering tactics.

Even your own studies are inconclusive. I guess when you're fear mongering isn't working on people.

Here's the conclusion from the first study, done in vitro on RABBITS (not humans). Some scientists would say they are different from humans. Would you agree with that?

CONCLUSIONS:
    The results indicated that minoxidil attenuated cellular activities of SCFs such as proliferation and migration in vitro. The exact mechanism of the inhibitory effects of minoxidil on these cellular activities is unknown. The findings suggest that the drug might help to prevent bleb scarring after glaucoma filtering surgery.

Why do you think that is?

Also, why don't you get the dosage.

You see, human beings have more BODY mass than rabbits. But you might not know that. It's true.

By the way, bornthisway chose to do a Minoxidil study done with rabbits.

Here's the exact title of his "proof":

Effect of lysyl hydroxylase inhibitor, minoxidil, on ultrastructure and behavior of cultured rabbit subconjunctival fibroblasts.

A "cultured" rabbit. Scare tactics. Poor job as well.

Second study done with rabbits. Once again. And probably a much HIGHER dose than five percent on humans??

Another fear tactic. Here's the title of his second link.

Effect of minoxidil on rabbit lens epithelial cell behavior in vitro and in situ.

Quote Originally Posted by NW9000 View Post
    In vivo study though, didn't show inhibition:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...MC3985251/#B27
    Nothing can be extrapolated from the studies to say the same effect will occur in a person including the 3rd using human skin fibroblasts. I was just showing cross species documentation of minoxidil collagen suppression activity. If the 3rd study could translate in vivo that's when I'd err on the side of caution and use a low % minoxidil treatment.

Nothing can be extrapolated from the studies to say the same effect will occur in a person including the 3rd using human skin fibroblasts. I was just showing cross species documentation of minoxidil collagen suppression activity. If the 3rd study could translate in vivo that's when I'd err on the side of caution and use a low % minoxidil treatment.

Then use a low one. Not everybody uses a high concentration like I do.

It's just Minoxidil doesn't suppress DHT. Only antri androgens/Progesterone
    can do that.

While I think the Fin sides are mostly nocebo effects, I do believe the Minox side of skin aging. Thing is, I've seen a LOT of Minox progress logs. I can say I've seen a very noticeable portion of these men(and women) look MUCH older within 2 years of starting Minox. Do people occasionally age a lot in 2 years? Yes, they do. But not in the numbers I've observed. Though I think it's a minority side-effect, I think it's a very common one. Maybe 1/3 experience something pretty significant.

And I'll also say I've witnessed more than a few examples of the reverse. Someone uses Minox for a while, and then stops, and starts looking better/younger afterwards(aside from the shedding). This is purely anecdotal. I was never going to use Minox, as it's just too much of a commitment. I know I'm too lazy to spend fifteen minutes a day scrubbing the stuff in my hair, and making it greasy. It's just not for me. I have no dog in this hunt, and I'd much prefer it to have no sides at all. But it seems to be quite common.

If you're considering it, go look for some logs of people who have a few years worth of pictures. See if you find what I have.

For the record, I take a thirty percent Minoxidil solution (yes, thirty percent). It's combined with topical Progesterone (.5%), and topical Finasteride (.1%). And I also believe there's not much benefit to taking Minxodil without an anti androgen DHT agent (either Finasteride or Dut). Because Minoxidil on its own will not keep your hair in, in the case of androgen alopecia.

And, I supplement my scalp with five percent foam. I've never had issues with my skin, or my face aging. Never.

And as I said, many people have allergic reactions to other ingredients that are mixed with the solution. Many people are allergic to glycerol. So, that said, I do believe people when they
    say they have side effects.

The foam usually doesn't irritate lots of people. I would highly recommend switching to that.

Can someone be allergic to Minoxidil? Yes they can. But its a very small percent in the solution.

Where do you get Minoxidil solution combined with topical Progesterone (.5%), and topical Finasteride (.1%)? Can you share the information? It looks like a good product.