+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Scheduled An FUE Session: Need Some Advice!

Hello,

I have an FUE session scheduled with a top hair transplant Doctor, and I wanted some last minute advice.

MY STATUS:

I am a Norwood 3 vertex with temple recession and a thinning crown.
    In the future, I will likely be a Norwood 5 or 6 (this can be seen by the already thinning hairs in the area between my temples and crown). It's passable for now, but will likely continue to thin out on the top of my head and bald over time.

My drug regimen includes nothing, as I can't handle the side effects of Minoxidil or Finasteride.
    I am 38 years of age.
    My loss is slow but steady, taking about 12 years to progress to where it is today.

MY PLAN:

I am looking to fill in my temples in the first hair transplant, and do a second hair transplant a year down the road to fill the crown.
    I am expecting to do a third hair transplant in the future, to address further balding in my hairline, forelock, and midscalp areas (that won't be filled in during my first two hair transplants).

All of these planned hair transplants are going to be FUE.
    Since I plan to do the entire top of my head, this will likely result in a significant amount of follicular units being used (I assume 5,000 FUEs? I dunno) as well as doing some damage to my donor area (since it is FUE).

MY GOALS:

1. My short term goals are... to give myself a nice framed hairline, and cover the bald spot in the crown...finally allowing me to sport a hairstyle that doesn't look like I am trying to hide bald spots.

2. My long term goals are... to provide some stubble all over my scalp, so it can look half decent when I shave it down to a one or two guard (after I've simply lost too many hairs to maintain a decent hairstyle) and hopefully not show any noticeable FUE scarring (so that nobody will ever know that I had a hair transplant).

I had hoped to do SMP to cover any FUE scarring and maybe fill out any gaps in the top of the head, but a lot of the SMP examples I've seen online do not look that great. Also, there aren't that many resources on finding a top SMP clinic, and there is also the health issue of constantly having to put ink in your scalp.

MY ASK TO ANYONE ON THIS FORUM...

Is my plan a viable one?
    Are my goals realistically achievable?
    Or is this just a pipedream that looks like it's going to fail?

Any responses are much appreciated. Thanks.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by jschwartz View Post
    Hello,

I have an FUE session scheduled with a top hair transplant Doctor, and I wanted some last minute advice.

MY STATUS:

I am a Norwood 3 vertex with temple recession and a thinning crown.
    In the future, I will likely be a Norwood 5 or 6 (this can be seen by the already thinning hairs in the area between my temples and crown). It's passable for now, but will likely continue to thin out on the top of my head and bald over time.

My drug regimen includes nothing, as I can't handle the side effects of Minoxidil or Finasteride.
    I am 38 years of age.
    My loss is slow but steady, taking about 12 years to progress to where it is today.

MY PLAN:

I am looking to fill in my temples in the first hair transplant, and do a second hair transplant a year down the road to fill the crown.
    I am expecting to do a third hair transplant in the future, to address further balding in my hairline, forelock, and midscalp areas (that won't be filled in during my first two hair transplants).

All of these planned hair transplants are going to be FUE.
    Since I plan to do the entire top of my head, this will likely result in a significant amount of follicular units being used (I assume 5,000 FUEs? I dunno) as well as doing some damage to my donor area (since it is FUE).

MY GOALS:

1. My short term goals are... to give myself a nice framed hairline, and cover the bald spot in the crown...finally allowing me to sport a hairstyle that doesn't look like I am trying to hide bald spots.

2. My long term goals are... to provide some stubble all over my scalp, so it can look half decent when I shave it down to a one or two guard (after I've simply lost too many hairs to maintain a decent hairstyle) and hopefully not show any noticeable FUE scarring (so that nobody will ever know that I had a hair transplant).

I had hoped to do SMP to cover any FUE scarring and maybe fill out any gaps in the top of the head, but a lot of the SMP examples I've seen online do not look that great. Also, there aren't that many resources on finding a top SMP clinic, and there is also the health issue of constantly having to put ink in your scalp.

MY ASK TO ANYONE ON THIS FORUM...

Is my plan a viable one?
    Are my goals realistically achievable?
    Or is this just a pipedream that looks like it's going to fail?

Any responses are much appreciated. Thanks.

Answer: imo it's 50/50 odds.

For better chances of success, The surgical protocol needs to be on point. If safely and meticulously done, your odds increase. Working around native hairs probably is risky especially if the doc dense packs it more than 60cm2 in those native hair filled recipient zones imo. Make sure the hairline design is well designed and properly framed inclusive of temple work and is even. Some docs may have a habit of keeping the left side lower and the right side higher in elevation. You do not want to deal with hairline issues later on. Make sure the doc marks your hairline with a skinnier pen or marker, if they use a thick line marker, it can throw you off of the real hairline which could be starting behind the thick marking. Take plenty of photos during hairline design and before and after and keep everything well documented. Make sure donor extractions are well placed and spread out so you do not have any shockloss issues or uneven donor depleted areas that may look like distinct halos later on. Most of all, best of luck to you and i wish you the best, hope you have a safe procedure.

I think you have a nice set of goals honestly. You have got to be putting in some serious thought on this. Hope it goes as well as you're shooting for!

Depends on your donor density, expected recipient density, hair caliber, depth of your wallet, choosing the right surgeon.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Working around native hairs probably is risky especially if the doc dense packs it more than 60cm2 in those native hair filled recipient zones imo.
    Not sure what this means. Did you mean to say "60 follicles per cm2"?
    for this first HT, I am doing my temporal angles, which have no existing native hairs. We may go a bit into the hairline, but not too deep into the native hair area.

Make sure the hairline design is well designed and properly framed inclusive of temple work and is even. Some docs may have a habit of keeping the left side lower and the right side higher in elevation. You do not want to deal with hairline issues later on. Make sure the doc marks your hairline with a skinnier pen or marker, if they use a thick line marker, it can throw you off of the real hairline which could be starting behind the thick marking.
    Yea, I always noticed this in those before and after HT photos. Not sure why such a thick marker is used for such precise surgery and hairline design.

I am going with Dr. Feller. His hairline designs are generally very good. I already know what I am going for re: the hairline, so I will be very anal when it comes to this.

Make sure donor extractions are well placed and spread out so you do not have any shockloss issues or uneven donor depleted areas that may look like distinct halos later on.
    Yea, my first procedure is expected to be only 600 grafts for the temporal angles, and I fully expect to harvest from a wide area across the back and sides of the head. It's the subsequent HTs that I have to be careful with when the graft count increases.

imo it's 50/50 odds
    Why only 50/50?

Quote Originally Posted by Louish View Post
    Depends on your donor density, expected recipient density, hair caliber, depth of your wallet, choosing the right surgeon.
    Yea, I am going in for an in-person consultation before my surgery largely because I want to confirm with them that I have good donor density and talk about recipient density (the follicle quote seemed a bit low at 600).

I booked with Feller, and he is one of the best. So, I think I will be fine with choosing the right surgeon. Depth of wallet is not an issue for now, so I don't mind spending a bit more to get an HT doc that is proven.

I didn't think about the 'hair caliber' thing. I hear that FUE growth is worse than FUT. I always assumed it was yield, but I wonder if this is caliber as well. It's a good question to ask.

I would like to give you my opinion on your goals but it would be useless without photos to go by. Would you mind uploading some to show us your case?
    Joe Tillman
    The original Hair Transplant Mentor

Interested to know which doctors I recommend?
    See the full list at HairTransplantMentor.com/hair-transplant-doctors

Quote Originally Posted by JoeTillman View Post
    I would like to give you my opinion on your goals but it would be useless without photos to go by. Would you mind uploading some to show us your case?
    Thanks for offering to take a look. Photos of my temple and crown are attached.

My temporal angles are receded by a half inch inward (similar to Jude Law's hairloss pattern), and the crown area that I would hope to fill (in a future HT) is roughly 3 inches by 1.5 inches. Not looking to bring down that hairline at all, really just looking to create a nice frame by closing off the receded temples and flattening that mohawk-hairline.

Since I wanted to be discreet during my recovery, the plan is to not shave my head (only the donor area of course) and transplant follicles into my temporal angles. I would take a couple weeks off work, and use the existing hair on the top of my head (central forelock area) to comb over my temporal angles (as I usually do anyway) to cover up the pinkness until hair starts to grow.

A year after this hair transplant I should have a decent, framed hairline. At this point, I would go for a second FUE HT to address the crown. I originally figured I would have to shave the head for this, but since I still want to be discreet, it may be possible to do one in the crown without resorting to shaving the head...but this would mean transplanting into the near bald areas only, and not the overall 3" by 1.5" area (where there is thinning native hair too). Still undecided on this strategy.

In order to maintain the discreetness during recovery, I was thinking of shaving my head and getting some temporary SMP in the crown prior to my crown FUE hair transplant. That way, during recovery it would just look like I shaved my head (as there would be some faux-stubble in the crown area during recovery). I know very little about SMP, so I'm not really sure if this would be a good strategy. But it's all about discreet recovery during those first few months, and anything I can do to hide that I had a HT...I will do.

On another note, you can see on the top view of my head that I am destined to be a Norwood 6 as the hair between my hairline and crown is pretty thin (however it's not that noticeable when it is washed and styled). Hoping that a third HT will address this down the road when I need to. If at that point I don't have enough donor to get decent density, then I would just space out whatever follicles I can get into that balding area so I can pull off a "shaved head with somewhat decent stubble everywhere" look. FUE scarring is one of my biggest concerns though as it would kill any potential to pull a nice shaved head look, but I've never seen any photos of bad FUE scarring from the top HT docs.

If my donor starts to get some sort of moth-eaten look from all the extractions, maybe I can fill it in with BHT (as I have a lot of thick beard hair, and a decent amt of body hair) but again, SMP and BHT are really just last resorts that I don't want to ever have to do.

Kind of an ambitious project, but let me know what you think.

Your advice is much appreciated!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	j_schwartz.jpg

Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	49948  

J,

Thank you for your photos and additional information. I'm going to be blunt. Hold tight...

I'm reading a lot of "...maybe I can..." and "I was thinking..." in your posts. This is the wrong way to start a plan.

You are not a NW3v. Unfortunately you are far from it and are closer to a diffused NW6 with a frontal forelock. I think in five years you will much worse. It is my opinion that starting out with 600 grafts to fill your temples, especially with a high forehead, is a bad idea especially with your already established position regarding minoxidil and finasteride. What happens if you are in a position where you can't have a second surgery? Your loss will continue and you'll have two horns sticking out of your forehead. I've seen it happen.

In the short term, temple work that is mature in six months to one year will be noticeably different than the hair behind the forelock. If you look at the forelock the hair is terminal which means it is healthy with a normal shaft diameter. There are some miniaturized hairs but overall this area will last a while. The hair behind your forelock is a different story. It is all miniaturized and fine. The hair transplanted to close your temples will be much stronger, terminal hair, with a thicker diameter. I feel that this may stand out and look unusual. This is based on the overhead photo in your collage.

The idea that you can use body hair to fill the donor area after FUE has been discussed off and on for nearly fifteen years. To date I have yet to see a single case where donor recharging (as it has been called) has ever worked. Body hair is already a low yield donor source so when you add that to the potential low yield recipient that scar tissue is classified, the lack of results makes sense. Don't count on this. Dr. Feller is a very good hair transplant doctor but I would not believe he'd acknowledge your plans as being sound.

I could go on but you asked if your plan is too ambitious. I think it is because there are too many variables that you're hoping will be positive in your favor. Those are huge odds to bet on.

I think you should rethink your priorities and maybe not have a hair transplant. With so many small steps you're planning on and with the alternative treatments you're considering in case of bad outcomes, you're asking for trouble. You should ask yourself if hair transplant surgery is really that important to you. Do you have to have these small temple corners filled? Do you have to have more hair in general? I think that if the answer is yes, you do have to have surgery or do something for more hair, you should not tempt fate with multiple small and medium stop gap procedures. Get a tangible sized procedure of 2000 to 2500 grafts that will address the front and mid-scalp and then monitor it as it thins because of your native hair continuing to fall out. Then maybe consider a fill in procedure if necessary. If you aren't in a position to have more surgery you'll not look so unusual as you would if only the temple corners were addressed. The crown is absolutely going to get bigger with time as well but unfortunately you need more hair in this area than you do the front to get a similar appearance of coverage.

You have other options but I think your current strategy is just asking for trouble.

I made this video two months ago to help drive home the reality of hair transplant planning. Watch it, think about it, and move forward based on how you feel afterward.

I'm happy to help you figure this out so ask any more questions if you have them.
    Joe Tillman
    The original Hair Transplant Mentor

Interested to know which doctors I recommend?
    See the full list at HairTransplantMentor.com/hair-transplant-doctors

Quote Originally Posted by jschwartz View Post
    Not sure what this means. Did you mean to say "60 follicles per cm2"?
    for this first HT, I am doing my temporal angles, which have no existing native hairs. We may go a bit into the hairline, but not too deep into the native hair area.

Meant grafts per cm2, for more info on this and some recommendations, see the following discussion
    https://www.baldtruthtalk.com/thread...-good-coverage

Yea, I always noticed this in those before and after HT photos. Not sure why such a thick marker is used for such precise surgery and hairline design.

I am going with Dr. Feller. His hairline designs are generally very good. I already know what I am going for re: the hairline, so I will be very anal when it comes to this.

Dr. Feller is a good surgeon. He has mentioned pros/cons FUE approach and his protocol online. You have every right to be anal about the hairline design and goals. Based on your physiology, If a surgeon can successfully accommodate your request and deliver, then that is great news.

Yea, my first procedure is expected to be only 600 grafts for the temporal angles, and I fully expect to harvest from a wide area across the back and sides of the head. It's the subsequent HTs that I have to be careful with when the graft count increases.

I just saw your photos and it is important to think your goals through. If you are destined to be a norwood 6 without treatment, you may have to be conservative or consider this, even though FUE seems like great option, you may or may not have adequate grafts in donor to pull this off in the long term. If you do, that is great. Some folks may suggest FUT in this case. You have to be really cautious of donor thinning or permanent shockloss conscerns with a procedure of this magnitude (5000+ grafts). I know you are trying to be discreet but cutting the hair before a procedure may assist in better placement. You do not want to create added obstacles that may hinder maximum recipient graft placement/quality.

I am not much of a fan of temp SMP as it is temporary. Id be cautious with who does it, how its done, the ingredient makeup of the pigments.

Do you have other resources, beard etc hairs as backup if you run into issues later on and deplete donor out in the future? Not saying it will hapoen but just make sure your bases are covered.

Why only 50/50?
    It all depends in protocol and care. It has to be done properly by a highly experienced doc with a very meticulous surgical protocol. If something goes wrong, you will be in a puzzle and will have to figure out what to do next for repairs. Hopefully, the docs you choose deliver and work with you no matter what happens. Those photos you see online posted by some clinics showcasing wow results, let me tell you that some of those cases are dependent on a variety of different factors. This can include hair caliber, density, physiology of the patient. Actually, Id think it is quite misleading in some cases.

My advice to you is to research real FUE patients that post on forums that have or had similar hair loss concerns as you. Those that had similar surgical procedures as you and number of grafts placed as you. See if you can meet such folks in person and if they are willing to meet and show you how it looks like in real life. See some patients from a variety of surgeons. It may help you gauge if this is right for you.

Honestly, proceed carefully for your safety. It can make or break you. Small session of 600 grafts may be good to see if you grow any grafts, but even then, approach carefully. Best of luck and wish you well