Scheduled An FUE Session: Need Some Advice!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jschwartz
    • Dec 2016

Originally posted by JoeTillman
    And you should also reconsider your plan of "just buzzing" your head if your plan falls apart. In fact, you should contact any and every doctor you're considering, or will consider, and ask them if they guarantee that you can do what you are planning. I doubt you'll get the same assurances you're expecting.
    Hey Joe,

Just one question...

If you were a full blown Norwood 6, and had to do it all again...Would you?

..and if so, would you have done FUE?

I ask, only because it seems like you are making a strong effort in your videos and postings to discourage people from getting a HT, almost as if you regret it.

If I started this thread, and instead said that I was planning on having two FUE megasessions (one in front, and another in the back at a future date), would you have supported that plan?

Comment

• HTsoon
      • Feb 2016

Originally posted by jschwartz
      So...what I'm hearing is that you don't disagree with my approach, instead, you simply disagree with my choice of HT doctor?

The reason I chose Feller is because of his technique, his blunt honesty, and his use of manual punches (unlike other top docs out there like Rahal, who use the machines).

Yes, I assumed that he would be totally against a front-to-back FUE surgery, but I wanted to consult with his clinic anyway. I have a meeting with Dr. Bloxham, so we'll see what they say in person.

If they have a change of heart and say 'ok' to a plan that involves full coverage FUE for a NW6, do I get your blessing?
      Joe makes a good point, buzz your head first, I buzzed my head for a year before deciding on an HT, if you have it in your mind that one day you might wanna shave, do it now it will save you a lot of time and money and potential heart ache, buzzing is inexpensive and no risk, once you embark on HTs there's no turning back. I could not accept being bald I wish I could but I just couldn't so I had three HT's do I regret them? No but I've been lucky to have had good results not everyone is so lucky, no one can guarantee a good result keep that in mind.

I don't disagree with your choice of doctor, Dr. Feller is a good doctor that has a long track record, Dr. Bloxham likewise has been practicing a short period of time but what I've seen so far has been good. If you research a bit more closely you'll see Dr. Feller has made two things clear, you can not order which surgeon will perform your surgery, his clinic works as a team and you could have your procedure done by him or Dr. Bloxham you have no say in the matter. The other thing he has said is that you do not order procedures at his clinic off a menu like a restaurant, he will tell you what he believes to be the best thing (strip) and if you don't like it then that's it. I'm not saying that's a bad thing he doesn't try to hide this he's up front and honest.

One thing I noticed is that most of the doctors you mentioned are North American it is well known in the HT community that the FUE elite doctors practice out of Europe particularly Spain and Belgium. All of the doctors you mentioned are good doctors but none of them can be considered elite in the realm of FUE with the exception of Bisanga. Like I said research FUE a bit more closely, I would recommend looking at Lupunzula one of Joe's docs, look at Dr.Couto in Spain, take time to consult with several doctors don't limit yourself to the states or Canada.

With that being said, I don't like the plan, I agree with Joe, only addressing the recession can be highly problematic in the not so far future, it's not where you are today it's where you're headed and you are headed towards Norwood 6. I do not condone mega sessions, I think there are to many variables with mega sessions and if you get a less than optimal result then you have little to no options left. However, playing catch up with hair loss and HT's can also prove to be problematic as you never really achieve a good cosmetic result, because by the time your HT matured then you've lost more native hair and you're back to square one looking like you did before.

I think most docs would first address the hairline completely including the tuft and work in to the midscalp, then depending on donor density see about doing the crown. DO NOT assume you will be able to achieve full coverage and density, many men who are Norwood 6 do not achieve full coverage and density, some do not get any coverage in the crown because their donor does not permit it. There are other things to consider head size, hair characteristics (curly, wavy, straight) hair shaft thickness (fine, medium, thick) etc. All of these things will have an impact on your overall cosmetic result, no doubt FUT+FUE will maximize your lifetime grafts should you want to go that route, but you're limited choosing just one, any how good luck with your consultation

Comment

• JoeTillman
        • Jul 2014

Originally posted by jschwartz
        Hey Joe,

Just one question...

If you were a full blown Norwood 6, and had to do it all again...Would you?

..and if so, would you have done FUE?

I ask, only because it seems like you are making a strong effort in your videos and postings to discourage people from getting a HT, almost as if you regret it.

If I started this thread, and instead said that I was planning on having two FUE megasessions (one in front, and another in the back at a future date), would you have supported that plan?
        You asked three questions, not "just one..."

1. If you were a full blown Norwood 6, and had to do it all again...Would you?

I get asked this question all the time. Knowing what I know now, no; I would not have a hair transplant again, much less would I have had eight more hair transplants, the third and fourth being with one goal which was to repair the first and second. To go further, would I change anything about my history and hair restoration? No, I enjoy where I'm at and what I've been through has made me the man I am today. Had a time traveling hair transplant patient advocate traveled back to 1992 and told me what lay in front of me I would have shaved my head and called it a day. I have a good head shape and my head looked good shaved before I had my first strip. I'd be a bald, tanned virgin scalp manning a dive boat in the South Pacific somewhere, completely oblivious to the life of a hair transplant patient.

2. ...and if so, would you have done FUE?
        FUE was not available when I first started my journey so the question is moot.

3. If I started this thread, and instead said that I was planning on having two FUE megasessions (one in front, and another in the back at a future date), would you have supported that plan?

No, but I would not have been so against it, either. You are hoping to piece meal your multi-hair transplant surgical goals for the sole purpose of hiding your procedures from the world. By doing this you risk making it more obvious for the reasons I've stated. You don't have to have a megasession to do this right, just do enough so that the work itself does not stand out in contrast with your native hair.

And as HTSoon says, it is doubtful that Dr. Feller and Dr. Bloxham will agree with your plan. They will suggest one or two strip surgeries which I would not have a problem agreeing with. Just don't do a megasession strip, just like you shouldn't do a megasession FUE, either. The more you do in one session, the more you risk if it doesn't work out and the less you have to repair the damage, should any damage (poor yield, bad donor scarring, etc.) occur. I can tell you easily that, based on your photos, I would have suggested 4000 to 4500 grafts in one procedure via strip, when I worked for strip clinics. This would be pretty much a standard assessment given your area of loss and what appears to be a good donor zone. However, given that you are only seeking FUE work, it makes sense to find a clinic that specialized in your desired procedure and move forward with caution. Every clinic has screwups, which is why I always encourage a no surgery approach first. It is the only guaranteed avenue of safety. If you still decide to have surgery then hopefully you'll be better prepared if I made you think about the downsides more seriously and ultimately you'll be a better patient for it in the long run.

I don't regret my surgeries. I just know that a lot of guys aren't equipped to deal with what I've been through. This is not to say I'm special, just that I've dealt with my troubles fairly well compared to a lot of guys I've met over the past fifteen years. Having bad hair transplant surgery changes you. It alters the way you look at the world when you realize that the steak isn't as good as the sizzle.
        Joe Tillman
        The original Hair Transplant Mentor

Interested to know which doctors I recommend?
        See the full list at HairTransplantMentor.com/hair-transplant-doctors

Comment

Working...