+ Reply to Thread

Default Worth a dermatologist appt?

Hi!

Here's my quick story:

35/M

Two weeks ago as I was washing my hair 10-20 strands came off in my hand. This has never happened before, and I started freaking out a little. Every time I shower now, I see more and more hair coming out, anywhere between appx 30-50 strands or so. I rarely see any come out during the day, unless I'm playing with my hair and/or ran my hand through it. I've never experienced shedding before (as far as I can remember)/

So of course I've been playing google doctor the last week or so. Here's some items some of the website mention.

1. Been using Head and Shoulders for the past two years, washing 3-4 times a week. (I read somewhere Head and Shoulders can cause hair loss?)
    2. The last two months have just been a massive stress ball (lost my job, workers comp claim, didn't find a job until a couple weeks ago) can this just be excessive shedding due to stress?
    3. Very slight but annoying itching all about scalp. It goes away and comes back randomly. Again, new experience.
    4. Went on a diet. Since May, I have lost over 30 pounds. (read somewhere weight loss can give hair loss?)
    5. I like wearing hoodies / beanies.
    6. Beginnings of MPB?

Should I see a dermatologist about this? I'm asking here first because my new job doesn't give me health insurance and I'd have to pay this out of pocket. I'm FINE doing this, but would much rather not do it so close to Christmas (or ever, really, $160 for just the visit, nothing else).

Except for changing shampoo (tea tree oil kind), I've been so afraid of touching my hair!

Any help?

Inactive

Hey Echo! Sorry to hear about all the stress. Based on what you've said, it does seem as if you have quite a few possible contributing factors to the hair fall, so I wouldn't automatically assume the worst case scenario. There are a few things to keep in mind:

Hair fall/shedding is normal. We lose on average 100 hairs a day, so there's the chance that this has always happened and you just never paid attention to it. Now that you've noticed it, you're hyperaware of it. Also, hairs grow/shed in cycles, and it's perfectly normal to have periods of higher shedding than others.

Stress can definitely be a contributing factor, and it's clear you've been under some stress. Now that your life seems to be balancing back out, there's a chance this could all get back to normal.

As for the weight loss, I would simply make sure that you're getting all the necessary nutrients in your diet to get and stay healthy. Oftentimes, the types of diets that lead to rapid weight loss aren't the healthiest for our bodies, so just make sure you're doing it right. (Congrats on the weight loss, btw!)

Itchy scalp - is it cold/dry where you are? Are you taking hotter/longer showers than normal? Getting a dry/itchy scalp is quite common for me, so I personally don't make much of it when that happens to me, but if this is a new occurrence for you, I would keep an eye on it. Also, the tee tree oil is most likely drying your scalp out even more, so I would stop using that and see if gets better. Putting a teaspoon of coconut oil in your hair at night can really help add moisture to your hair and scalp, so maybe consider that.

Given the insurance/financial situation, I don't see a reason right now to rush to the dermatologist. I would just keep an eye on it (without obsessing over it) and see how it's going once the year is over and your life has leveled back out. If you notice it getting rapidly worse, maybe then you can reconsider a trip to the doctor, but until then, hang tight.