+ Reply to Thread

Default Am I balding on the crown?

Hey everyone,

I've never looked at the back of my head but I know I've always had a cowlick. My dad has a bald spot on his crown and he's in his 60's. I don't know about my mom's side. Can anybody provide some info for me if I should go on finasteride?

The first pic is just a normal shot and the second pic, I moved my hairs around to expose more of the scalp. This was taken under daylight with roof windows.

Thanks for any input.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161129_110710.jpg

Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	49693   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161129_110927.jpg

Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	49694  

Go to the doctor to make sure before anything. And go to more then one (dermatologist, hair transplant clinic,etc.) I'm 16 that's my opinion but some seniors will give you better advice.

Quote Originally Posted by kogepan77 View Post
    Hey everyone,

I've never looked at the back of my head but I know I've always had a cowlick. My dad has a bald spot on his crown and he's in his 60's. I don't know about my mom's side. Can anybody provide some info for me if I should go on finasteride?

The first pic is just a normal shot and the second pic, I moved my hairs around to expose more of the scalp. This was taken under daylight with roof windows.

Thanks for any input.

Of course a medical professional has the best input. Much better than anything I can say.

That said, androgen alopecia is dominant in males. However, your parents are the closest road map we have.

If your father only has a bald spot, and he's not on Finasteride (you can ask, but do it in private of course), than his baldness is not aggressive (at sixty).

And if his hairline is good, and there's no recession, that's better odds for you.

Your mom gives you half your chromosones. And estrogen fights male androgen alopecia. In women, baldness is recessive, or seems to be.

When women reach menopause, that's when the true pattern seems to come into play. The ovaries still produce hormones, contrary to popular belief. But estrogen goes down to zero.

So, if your mom has any physical sign of baldness, chances are yours will be worse than your dads.

When did your father start losing his hair?

Earlier signs of androgen alopecia (younger ages) usually mean it will be worse, unfortunately. Men who start to lose their hair in their thirties generally speaking, in my opinion, don't lose their hair as fast.

Quote Originally Posted by k9gatton View Post
    Of course a medical professional has the best input. Much better than anything I can say.

That said, androgen alopecia is dominant in males. However, your parents are the closest road map we have.

If your father only has a bald spot, and he's not on Finasteride (you can ask, but do it in private of course), than his baldness is not aggressive (at sixty).

And if his hairline is good, and there's no recession, that's better odds for you.

Your mom gives you half your chromosones. And estrogen fights male androgen alopecia. In women, baldness is recessive, or seems to be.

When women reach menopause, that's when the true pattern seems to come into play. The ovaries still produce hormones, contrary to popular belief. But estrogen goes down to zero.

So, if your mom has any physical sign of baldness, chances are yours will be worse than your dads.

When did your father start losing his hair?

Earlier signs of androgen alopecia (younger ages) usually mean it will be worse, unfortunately. Men who start to lose their hair in their thirties generally speaking, in my opinion, don't lose their hair as fast.

Thanks for all of the information.

My father's hairline is almost gone, and his scalp is visible. My mom has thick hair. I think my dad started losing most of his hair in his 50's.

Do you think I should go on finasteride? I'm 28 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by kogepan77 View Post
    Thanks for all of the information.

My father's hairline is almost gone, and his scalp is visible. My mom has thick hair. I think my dad started losing most of his hair in his 50's.

Do you think I should go on finasteride? I'm 28 years old.

If your hairline is still good, your baldness really isn't that aggressive.

Better to be safe than sorry. So, my own opinion is yes.

Of course, if the plumbing breaks, then quit. Good to be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by k9gatton View Post
    If your hairline is still good, your baldness really isn't that aggressive.

Better to be safe than sorry. So, my own opinion is yes.

Of course, if the plumbing breaks, then quit. Good to be safe.
    Finasteride completely shut me down and 4 years off the drug I'm still not recovered - I didn't notice symptoms when I was on the drug they kind of creep up on you so after 8 months I quit and that's when I was in real trouble - couldnt get erections, severe genital numbness and mental sides such as depression and anxiety - wish I never touched that crap I don't think I will ever be back to my previous state again.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat87 View Post
    Finasteride completely shut me down and 4 years off the drug I'm still not recovered - I didn't notice symptoms when I was on the drug they kind of creep up on you so after 8 months I quit and that's when I was in real trouble - couldnt get erections, severe genital numbness and mental sides such as depression and anxiety - wish I never touched that crap I don't think I will ever be back to my previous state again.
    Then you're making a smart choice to not go on it. Sometimes I feel that way with Finasteride. I used to take both oral and liquid, but I quit doing that.

We really don't know the end results of eliminating DHT from our body. There's still debate over that.