+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MPB or TE

Unhappy MPB or TE

Hi,I recently turned 19 and for the last 10 months I've been experiencing diffuse hair loss all throughout head. The shedding began around july of '09. Around two months before that, I had gone through a great deal of stress. I went to a dermatologist in October who believed it was telogen effluvium. Months passed, I went back, and he said that TE doesn't last that long so it must be MPB. All of my hairs that I have lost/still lose have the white bulb at the end.

I then went to an endocrinologist, had some blood work done and I came out with slight hyperthyroidism. I show many of the symptoms. I've been taking methimazole for the last month. I haven’t seen any results yet but I was also prescribed propecia. The endocronologist advised me not to take the propecia for another two months. Just in case the methimazole begins working.

I have become very anxious to take the propecia because I don’t know how much longer I can go with myself losing all of my hair. Top of head, sides, and back. I have no receding hairline but the right side of my scalp is much thinner than the left. I would say that I have lost more than 60 % of my hair within 10 months. All of the hairs still have the white bulbs at the end (club hairs). I have had some hairs grow to about an inch to two but I end up losing some of them again. Still with the white bulb at the end.

A few questions to ask. Is it possible with MPB to lose around 60% of your hair within 10 months? Would you classify my hair loss as MPB even though im also losing hair on the sides and back of my head?

Thank you. Especially for reading all of this.
    I've just been so stressed out and worried because of this hair loss. I honestly don't know what to do anymore. I'm always thinking about it which causes me to become depressed. :/ again, thank you.

To be honest if you are suddenly losing your hair and also losing it at the sides and the back...then it doesn't look like male pattern baldness.

Does MPB run in your family?

Your case is definitely different in many ways. You should hang on, a doctor might respond here.

What shampoo do you use?

I agree that it doesn't sound like typical MPB. What is your family history of hair loss like?

It could possibly be alopecia areata...is the thinning occurring in patches?

Thank you Keepthehair and cit_girl for replying,
    As far as I know, the only family member to have/had MPB in my family was my mother's uncle.
    My uncles on both sides of my family show no signs of MPB. My eldest uncle, who is now in his mid 50's, still has a head full of hair although its thinned over the years.
    My father still has a thick head of hair and shows no signs of a receding hairline and/or thinning.

I've been using DHS clear shampoo since I feel as if I have a sensitive scalp.
    My scalp also tends to feel itchy at times.
    The thinning/hairloss isn't occurring in patches, its been happening all over my scalp. The right side of my scalp does seem to be noticeably thinner than the left side though.The top and sides of my head have had the worst thinning/hair loss compared to the back.

could this possibly be chronic telogen effluvium? should I begin taking propecia just in case?
    I'm asking here because I also do not believe it to be MPB but my endocrinologist believes it might be. Eventhough I'm losing hair on the sides as well. thank you again.

If you know you have an underactive thyroid, then you know the cause of TE and that is likely what it is. Chronic TE is a common symptom and won't go away until your thyroid is in check.

The best way to get a conclusive answer is to ask a doctor to check for miniturisation.

To be honest it would really be best if you speak to a really GOOD doctor about this. Maybe even more than one.

You might actually be lucky and not have MPB here. I think that is the case. But it may be something serious. Probably not.

But definitely get yourself checked out.

Good luck