+ Reply to Thread

Default Shedding 6 months post op ~200 a day

Hi Everyone,

New to the community, had a transplant July 18. 1877 into nw 2.5/3 coverage areas. I'm shedding a ton more than usual. It seems to be not balding because of breakage/lack of thinning on the hair follicle. Is this shedding phase normal? The initial growth has begun however, I can feel the area is growing other hairs. COuld that be causing inflammation/causing the shedding?

Thanks,
    Sorry for the grammar errors, mildly panicking before work.
    Swig

Quote Originally Posted by swigswoog View Post
    Hi Everyone,

New to the community, had a transplant July 18. 1877 into nw 2.5/3 coverage areas. I'm shedding a ton more than usual. It seems to be not balding because of breakage/lack of thinning on the hair follicle. Is this shedding phase normal? The initial growth has begun however, I can feel the area is growing other hairs. COuld that be causing inflammation/causing the shedding?

Thanks,
    Sorry for the grammar errors, mildly panicking before work.
    Swig
    If it's any consolation, you're not the only one. I'll be 6 months out in a week, and right around 4.5 months I started a pretty significant shed. It's the worst shed I've experienced since I started Rogaine over a year ago. In addition to the shedding, I began experiencing heavy dandruff around the same time as the shed began. Are you also dealing with bad post op dandruff?

hi thinning 85, I have Psoriasis so dandruff is why I have an RX shampoo and also why I have fairly constant dandruff as well

Inactive

It sounds like what you're experiencing is totally normal - especially given the psoriasis/dandruff.

First off, each individual hair has its own cycle and it's perfectly normal for each of us to experience periods of increased hair fall/shedding. Don't stress when this happens, as it will all balance itself out in the end. Also, you're coming off of a hair transplant, so some of the cycles may be a little out of whack. For this reason, I would wait at least a year before I would expect to see things normalize again and get a greater sense of your results. The new grafts will continue to mature and thicken over this time as well which will eventually help the overall appearance and make these sheds less noticeable.

Now for the psoriasis/dandruff: I've dealt with dry/itchy/flaky scalp my entire life, and I've consistently found that when in the midst of an "outbreak", my hair fall increases quite significantly. My scalp is also quite sensitive, and I'm allergic to a lot of products that will make my scalp break out - and the worse my scalp is, the more hair I lose. I liken it to a garden with healthy soil vs unhealthy soil... The better conditions/topsoil the crops have to grow in, the better off the crops are. Our hair is similar in that respect. The healthier the scalp, the better chances our hair has of surviving.

Just some stuff to keep in mind when dealing with this. I know how frustrating and troubling it can be, but the more you understand it, the less stressed out it will make you.