+ Reply to Thread

Default Rogaine Benefits

Hello All

I take propecia and rogaine for my slow receding hair line. I was wondering if rogaine helps with hair loss at the hair line or on not, and if I am doing more damage by doing this?? Is there anything to help with the hair line or just propecia or would Avodart he better ... sorry all the questions.. thanks.. RDRD

Quote Originally Posted by RDRD View Post
    Hello All

I take propecia and rogaine for my slow receding hair line. I was wondering if rogaine helps with hair loss at the hair line or on not, and if I am doing more damage by doing this?? Is there anything to help with the hair line or just propecia or would Avodart he better ... sorry all the questions.. thanks.. RDRD
    Hi RDRD,

Welcome to the forum!

I'm glad to hear that you're on Propecia. There is a good chance that you can stop or slow the progression of your hair loss, including a receding hairline with finsateride alone.

Since you've been using Rogaine along with Propecia, it will be difficult to tell if you are benefiting from both drugs synergistically, or if you are only seeing benefits from one.

It's unlikely that you are doing yourself any damage by using Rogaine, unless of course you are experiencing any inflammatory side affects like itching or burning of the scalp.

Avodart should always be saved as a last resort in my opinion, due the increased risk of potential side effects.

If you're currently doing well with what you are using, than stick with it.
    If you are continuing to lose ground then you might consider speaking with your doctor about other options, like increasing your finasteride dosage or perhaps using Avodart.

Hope this helps!
    Spencer Kobren
    Founder, American Hair Loss Association
    Host, The Bald Truth Radio Show

I am not a physician. My opinions and knowledge concerning hair loss and its treatment are based on extensive research and reporting on the subject as a consumer advocate and hair loss educator. My views and comments on the subject should not be taken as medical advice. Always seek the advice of a medical professional when considering medical and surgical treatment.

Spencer

thanks for the reply.. I think it has slowed, but propecia is expensive. Is there a cheaper form of propecia. I can't remember the name, but i heard there is a similar pill that comes in 5mg pills. this way i could cut the pill into 5ths and take daily.. i also take saw palmetto. Is this useful or a waste? thanks for your time.. RDRD

Quote Originally Posted by RDRD View Post
    Spencer

thanks for the reply.. I think it has slowed, but propecia is expensive. Is there a cheaper form of propecia. I can't remember the name, but i heard there is a similar pill that comes in 5mg pills. this way i could cut the pill into 5ths and take daily.. i also take saw palmetto. Is this useful or a waste? thanks for your time.. RDRD
    Hey RDRD,

The brand name of the 5mg dose of finasteride is Proscar. Many men concerned with the cost of treatment ask their doctors to prescribe the drug “off label.”

I don't think adding SP will benefit you in anyway. It might actually increase the incidence of sexual side effects in a small percentage of men. With that said, if you are currently doing well with the the combination I would not advise that you make any changes to your regimen.
    Spencer Kobren
    Founder, American Hair Loss Association
    Host, The Bald Truth Radio Show

I am not a physician. My opinions and knowledge concerning hair loss and its treatment are based on extensive research and reporting on the subject as a consumer advocate and hair loss educator. My views and comments on the subject should not be taken as medical advice. Always seek the advice of a medical professional when considering medical and surgical treatment.

RDRD, how has the Rogaine worked for you?
    From what i understand, you might shred some hair when you first use it.
    I know it varies person to person how it works.
    By the way, do people like the Rogaine Foam or the regular Rogaine?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan998 View Post
    RDRD, how has the Rogaine worked for you?
    From what i understand, you might shred some hair when you first use it.
    I know it varies person to person how it works.
    By the way, do people like the Rogaine Foam or the regular Rogaine?
    Rogaine was not good for me at all. I hated applying it everyday because it made my hair look oily and after a few weeks my scalp was irritated all the time. I also shed a boat load of hair when I was on it. I don't think it works that well either.

What percentage of minoxidil were you using that caused your scalp to become irritated?

RDRD, I know when you first you use Rogain you might shred alot of hair.
    Thats a normal process. Ofcourse thats what scares most people from continuing to take it. But after you shred the hair, people say they see growth of hair like 6 to 9 months into taking it. Ofcouse it all varies.
    Now i'm sure there are situations where people shred hair and the hair doesn't grow after the shredding.
    I'v also read how Retin A helps absorbs the Minoxidil.
    You dont take the Retin A and Minoxidil at the same time.
    You first put the Retin A on the head and let it dry for 10 minutes. Then put on the Rogaine.