+ Reply to Thread

Default What the heck is going on with my temples?

I am 35. At 29, I started finasteride for minimal recession, and I was a great responder. However, a wee bit of recession made me switch to dutasteride in April of this year. Two weeks after starting dutasteride, my temples looked like this Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1190.jpg

Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	49555

Fast forward three months, my temples now changed to this:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1187.jpg

Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	49556
    Note that the other temple behaved similarly. So what happened?
    Did the switch to dutasteride set off a really fast progression of my MPB? Why would my temples get so bad so quickly? Any chance this is temporary as my body adjusts? It's now November and they still look the way they do.

Quote Originally Posted by charlesMC View Post
    I am 35. At 29, I started finasteride for minimal recession, and I was a great responder. However, a wee bit of recession made me switch to dutasteride in April of this year. Two weeks after starting dutasteride, my temples looked like this Attachment 49555

Fast forward three months, my temples now changed to this:
    Attachment 49556
    Note that the other temple behaved similarly. So what happened?
    Did the switch to dutasteride set off a really fast progression of my MPB? Why would my temples get so bad so quickly? Any chance this is temporary as my body adjusts? It's now November and they still look the way they do.
    Actually, I think your temple hair regrowth is denser. There's definitely solid regrowth in the second picture (three month old picture). The top picture definitely has less hair than your second picture.

When hair regrows with medication, it will be more diffuse than the scalp surrounding it.

Congratulations, you are now taking a medication that is more helpful. You made the right
    choice.

If this is regrowth, why did it look like this in June and hasn't gotten thicker and longer? It has just stopped there, so that both temples seem noticeably thinner and was less receded than now. I NEVER had recession as deep as I do now.

If this is regrowth, why did it look like this in June and hasn't gotten thicker and longer? It has just stopped there, so that both temples seem noticeably thinner.
    It's a very deceptive illusion, because it's still short. Although, it appears to not be as thick, it's because it's much shorter.

Believe it or not, if you were to take clippers and buzz your hair to a few centimeters, you're hair would actually look much thinner/ balder than it really is. (In fact, you are far from bald, but just bear with me).

It's because the scalp is exposed when hair is really short. Not many people can pull of that look, myself included.

If this is regrowth, why did it look like this in June and hasn't gotten thicker and longer? It has just stopped there, so that both temples seem noticeably thinner.
    I've included my other temple
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1186.jpg

Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	49557  

there are large areas of bald scalp surrounding that area in the middle. That's why I'm weirded out.

I've included my other temple
    It's not balding. And here is why. Your temple line on the sides is actually better
    in your second picture.

Although slightly less than half of men respond to Minoxidil, I really recommend
    adding regular (five percent) to Dut.

The Dut is working for you, and Minoxidil will grow your existing hair out. It's true
    that Minoxidil loses effectiveness on its own, over time.

However, since you are taking an anti androgen, one that is scientifically proven to
    work, it is OK to supplement your medication with regular strength Minoxidil.

On a side note, most men have more hair recession on one side than another. I did a poll on that before.

I would even say that uneven temple hair loss is more common than not, for most men, in my own
    opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by k9gatton View Post
    On a side note, most men have more hair recession on one side than another. I did a poll on that before.

I would even say that uneven temple hair loss is more common than not, for most men, in my own
    opinion.
    Maybe I don't understand what's going on.

So I took dutasteride, and you're saying it knocked out seemingly normal hair that hadn't yet started to recede, and the whole area will eventually grow back thicker and stronger, moreso with minox?

Hopefully this will help you. Different areas of the scalp have less success growing back.

My hair is growing back on my sides (above my ear/on the forehead). That said, my temple hair
    is not growing back as much. But there are terminal hair in the same area you are getting it, my friend.

I have new terminal hair grow on my temples. But the center has no vellus hair, and will never come back.

My hairline is borderline Norwood four territory, because I didn't take ANTI DHT medications in my twenties
    or thirties.

You have hope, because you did.