+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default No results after 4 months on propecia = not working?

Everyone says give the medication 6 - 12 months, but every damn success thread I've scoured shows the same pattern over and over again. Those who are going to get regrowth/maintenance see a significant improvement by month 3-4. Everyone else who see nothing by month 4 -5 never get any better after that (I've lost count of how many user profiles I've stalked to follow up on their long term results). They just thin and thin and thin.

Can anybody prove me wrong? Give those of us who have seen nothing but shedding and thinning up to month 5 some hope with a personal timeline?

Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    Everyone says give the medication 6 - 12 months, but every damn success thread I've scoured shows the same pattern over and over again. Those who are going to get regrowth/maintenance see a significant improvement by month 3-4. Everyone else who see nothing by month 4 -5 never get any better after that (I've lost count of how many user profiles I've stalked to follow up on their long term results). They just thin and thin and thin.

Can anybody prove me wrong? Give those of us who have seen nothing but shedding and thinning up to month 5 some hope with a personal timeline?
    Believe it or not, itching and shedding is a common sign of allergies. Even food allergies can cause skin break outs. You might either be allergic to something mixed in the medication, or
    to Finasteride itself.

It's not that uncommon as you think (and you already know, it seems).

Finasteride can take up to two years to show good results. Of course, that doesn't mean the itching will stop over time, it probably won't.

Thanks for the reply. Itching isn't the problem. I've never had scalp itch while on finasteride, or even before taking the med. The problem is hairline thinning, thinning, and more non-stop thinning. From my research, people who see no results by month 4 rarely ever stop losing their hair. I'm calling bullsh*t on waiting 12 months to know if fin works for you or not. If you don't see results by month 5, this drug isn't working, period.

Thanks for the reply. Itching isn't the problem. I've never had scalp itch while on finasteride, or even before taking the med. The problem is hairline thinning, thinning, and more non-stop thinning. From my research, people who see no results by month 4 rarely ever stop losing their hair. I'm calling bullsh*t on waiting 12 months to know if fin works for you or not. If you don't see results by month 5, this drug isn't working, period.
    It only reduces scalp DHT by seventy percent. So it probably isn't going to be effective forever on it's own.

And if you're in your twenties, or thirties, your body is producing large amounts of testosterone. At least more than you will be making in fifteen years.

Call bullshit on whatever you want. Science is not bullshit. Growing back balding hair takes a long time for some men. Depending on age and how long ago hair is lost, patience might be required. There was a man in his mid thirties, who took five milligrams of Finasteride daily, estrogen supplements, and Progesterone supplements. He was between Norwood four and five. It took him five years to grow back his hair. He was doing this temporarily until he regrew all of his hair.

A good place to look is on government study websites. There's lots of scientific articles, and only objective views are given.

Please see my response below.

Last edited by k9gatton; 11-19-2016 at 06:03 AM. Reason: Formatting issues.

You're probably 100% correct. We never know. A friend of mine swore using 5% Minoxdil combined with laser made his hair thicker. Later a government study came out and backed up everything he said.

Less than half of men respond to Minoxidil. But the ones who do are helped with laser therapy.

You might be on to something with your five month theory.

For the record, Finasteride never helped my hair on it's own. I always had to supplement
    it with something else.

One time I overestimated it, and as a result, lost quite a lot of hair!

I have also been using Rogaine for the past 1.5 years. Same story there. Didn't see any results at month 5, and the hair I shed certainly didn't grow back after a year. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but to everyone reading this - if you haven't seen any results on fin or minox after 5 months, I'm sorry but your hair is only going to continue going to shit. Don't kid yourself it'll get better in a few more months, because it won't.

I have also been using Rogaine for the past 1.5 years. Same story there. Didn't see any results at month 5, and the hair I shed certainly didn't grow back after a year. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but to everyone reading this - if you haven't seen any results on fin or minox after 5 months, I'm sorry but your hair is only going to continue going to shit. Don't kid yourself it'll get better in a few more months, because it won't.
    I am in exactly this position. Are you making the switch to duta soon?

Quote Originally Posted by Sanchez123 View Post
    I am in exactly this position. Are you making the switch to duta soon?
    I'm going to give it a couple more months but I'm keeping a real close eye on it. If it gets much worse I'll speak with my GP about supplementing with dut once a week. Are you losing hair in the hairline or crown? Are you taking dut ATM?

I'm going to give it a couple more months but I'm keeping a real close eye on it. If it gets much worse I'll speak with my GP about supplementing with dut once a week. Are you losing hair in the hairline or crown? Are you taking dut ATM?

Same here, till 1 year mark i will take fin than i switch to duta. I used to have NW2 with no diffuse thinning. But since 5 months its diffuse as well. Losing lots of hairs, but that was before fin as well.