+ Reply to Thread

Default could i have started minoxidil too early?

I started using minoxidil at age 19 when i had just the slightest opinion that my hairline was starting to fade away. I did not myself talk to a dermatologist but instead i sent my mother to find out what i can do because she had a appointment on that very day herself and it is pretty hard to get an appointment at this particular dermatologist if u dont want to wait for months. So the dermatologist did give her two brochures, one for liquid minoxidil and one for foam minoxidil. And the dumb boy I am I immediately went to the pharmacy and got myself the liquid one and started using it twice a day on my hairline right away. I got the minoxidil shed and thats why i thought it was working and therefor a good idea.
    So i kept using it for 8 months now and especially lately my hair is really thinning out in the front. Am I right with the assumption that I forced my own hair to fall out and thinning by using minoxidil too early?
    Looking back I could really punch myself in the face for beginning that early, because compared to now there was really no reason to start minoxidil. It was just the very beginning of mbp. It is pretty safe to say though that I would sooner or later have mbp considering my father is a solid Norwood 6 at age 63 and my brothers hairline at 29 did retreat upside a bit too already.

Could it really be that I made myself lose so much hair? And is there any way I can undo my hairloss? (Because as far as I know just stopping using minoxidil will not do the trick.)

Quote Originally Posted by hirschgeweih97 View Post
    I started using minoxidil at age 19 when i had just the slightest opinion that my hairline was starting to fade away. I did not myself talk to a dermatologist but instead i sent my mother to find out what i can do because she had a appointment on that very day herself and it is pretty hard to get an appointment at this particular dermatologist if u dont want to wait for months. So the dermatologist did give her two brochures, one for liquid minoxidil and one for foam minoxidil. And the dumb boy I am I immediately went to the pharmacy and got myself the liquid one and started using it twice a day on my hairline right away. I got the minoxidil shed and thats why i thought it was working and therefor a good idea.
    So i kept using it for 8 months now and especially lately my hair is really thinning out in the front. Am I right with the assumption that I forced my own hair to fall out and thinning by using minoxidil too early?
    Looking back I could really punch myself in the face for beginning that early, because compared to now there was really no reason to start minoxidil. It was just the very beginning of mbp. It is pretty safe to say though that I would sooner or later have mbp considering my father is a solid Norwood 6 at age 63 and my brothers hairline at 29 did retreat upside a bit too already.

Could it really be that I made myself lose so much hair? And is there any way I can undo my hairloss? (Because as far as I know just stopping using minoxidil will not do the trick.)
    Actually it was a smart move. I myself started at twenty, and was able to grow back my receding hairline.

It will work for the hairline. And a Board Certified (doctor certified) Dermatologist prescribed it in the US to me. She said it would work
    on my hairline, and she was right.

The thing to note is, only fifty percent of men will be good responders.

Worse case, it won't do anything for you. But it won't make it worse. It will just be where your baseline would be without taking any medication.

Best of luck.