+ Reply to Thread

Default Dry scalp and thinning hair...

So on my scalp there is dry skin on the front but not the back. My scalp is always itchy as well. I am not sure what is going on with that. I know my hair is thinning or has thinned quite a bit. The flaking and dry scalp started maybe a year and a half ago. I never had this issue before so I ma not sure if they are related.

Clean up your diet first and massage either with dermaroller or micro pen to get circulation going to hair follicles

Inactive

Dry/flaky scalp isn't related to hair loss in the MPB sense, but I've consistently found that my hair fall always increases when I have a dry/flaky scalp outbreak. I've struggled with a dry, itchy scalp on and off my entire life, and anytime there's a spike in the dryness of my scalp, the amount of hair falling from my head also increases.

Pay attention to what could be contributing to this for you. For example, I've found that colder weather combined with relatively hot showers will cause my scalp to dry out. I'm also allergic to quite a few products (Crew, for example) and they have a horrible impact on my scalp. So think about if you've changed products recently or anything of that nature. Applying a teaspoon of virgin coconut oil to your scalp is also a great, natural way to add moisture to your scalp and hair and may help you tremendously.

Hopefully that's of some help. Let me know if you have any questions. I've been around this block more times than I can count.

Does anyone have experience with topical fluocinonide for use on the scalp? I have terrible flaking and scaling on my scalp and have constant shedding of hair, mostly from the top of my head. I went to see a dermatologist in October. She said it was a sign of inflammation and I was prescribed fluocinonide (Lidex) to help with the inflammation of my scalp.

After using it briefly, I read that folliculitis is a side effect of the medication and stopped taking it. I'm now on fin for about a month (1.25 mg per day) and 1% nizoral (2-3 times per week). The condition of my scalp hasn't improved at all and the shedding has continued. The diffuse thinning of my hair has become noticeable very quickly.

I'm just hoping someone has used fluocinonide for scalp inflammation and could share their experience. Thanks.

Flakes don't always equal dandruff. I recently went through a very aggressive shed which coincided with increased flakes. This lasted for a few months, before I ended up with an unrelated staph infection on my hand that required antibiotics. I noticed after completing the round of antibiotics that my dandruff decreased significantly.

Long story short, I mentioned this to the dermatologist during a follow-up visit for the hand, and he said that excessive flaking of the scalp can be an indicator of a possible topical infection, and that it's very possible I had one on my scalp that went undiagnosed and responded well to the antibiotics.

Bottom line -- if you're experiencing an unusual surge in dandruff that isn't responding to over the counter treatments, then what do you have to lose by scheduling an appointment with a dermatologist?