+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Are there now any good HT Doctors in the UK?

Hi all

New here. Have been considering a HT for a few years and now getting serious about doing it. I'm 31, approx Norwood 2. Just looking for a modest HT around the forelock (in my mind I'm thinking a finger width additional to my current hairline.

Anyway, when I have begun researching in the past I have seen lots of talk that there are no good HT doctors in the UK and that the best bet for A British guy is to go to Europe (Belgium).

Is this still the case or are there now good doctors in the uk too?

Any advice appreciated :-)

Hi,

If you are wanting to stay in the Uk - You have a number of UK clinics worth consulting with. You will see a couple in the IAHRS here http://www.iahrs.org/member/ - You should also consider consulting with The Harley St Hair Clinic and Dr Edward Ball.

I hope this helps!
    Spex
    Visit my website: SPEXHAIR

Watch regular segments and interviews on The Bald Truth UK show

View Media interviews www.spexhair.media

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel : SpexHair Youtube

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

Hi Spex,

I've been doing a lot of research regarding hair transplants, had loads of consultations and have gotten a lot of conflicting responses. I'd really appreciate your ipinion on the matter-

I'm in my thirties now, have diffuse hair loss from crown to hairline and I'm considering a ht now and realise I will need another in the future. Will these procedures give me enough density of hair to style, assuming I have good donor area?

Or should I just save my money and shave it all off

Thanks for your help

Hi,

HT is not an exact science and everyone is VERY different.

Without pictures impossible to advise but hair loss is progressive so in my opinion consider stabilising loss with medical therapy first before rushing into HT surgery.

The more hair you can keep the fewer HT's you will need and the better/ more impact the HT will have.

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

Thanks for the reply Spex, your advice is really appreciated, hopefully a couple of pics attached now

I actually went to my GP about starting finasteride but she laughed at me and told me to just accept going bald. If I was a good candidate for a HT I would consider going back and pushing for the medication.

If a ht isn't going to work well for me then I don't think I'd bother with medications because my hair loss is so advanced now.

So really it all comes down to - am I suitable and will it give me decent coverage? Depending on the clinics I've been told I'm a good candidate/ not suitable/ will get good coverage/ will end up with practically nothing in a few years even with a transplant. It's odd, any other cosmetic procedure would be able to give you an idea of the finished product
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2849.jpg

Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	49660   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2882.jpg

Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	49661   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2924.jpg

Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	49662  

Female GP ... Why would she ever understand the impact of hair loss ?!

I can gladly put you in touch with informed GP i use for private prescription. He is informed and able to help answer questions directly. DrStevengedgar@gmail.com

You should consider it as if you were to resounds well it could well enable you to avail HT surgery altogether.

Without meds in place i wouldn't advise on any HT surgery.

Thanks for the info on the go, I really couldn't believe the doctors reaponse- it took a lot for me to go and ask for the prescription!

Do you think medication could really grow a significant amount of hair?

If the medication stabilised my hair levels around the current density- would 3000 grafts give a good level of coverage or have I been misinformed?

Sorry for the millions of questions

Out of all the surgeons in the U.K. really the only one that has impressed me is Dr. Reddy, IMO you're better off leaving the U.K. as it is quite expensive.

As for finasteride, you may experience some regrowth, but you may not it is best used as a stabilizing drug so that you don't lose any further hair. With that said, side effects do occur and I for one have experienced them, it is definitely something to think about as some users experience persistent side effects, although this is a small percentage of users, I feel it is unethical to not provide full disclosure to anyone thinking of taking this medication for cosmetic reasons. Of course many men have taken finasteride for years with no issues, I'm not trying to discourage you only inform you.

If you were to proceed with a transplant without finasteride like I have, you will need a good surgeon that could map out a master plan for you, you'd have to essentially go at it as if you had no hair left on your head.

Htsoon, thank you for your reply and information.

I am a bit concerned about the side effects of the finasteride but I am desperate so willing to seriously consider it. I've checked with a few different clinics abroad - just waiting on a reply from dr erdogan in turkey who seems to have a good reputation.

My major concern is spending all this money on 3000 grafts and it looking awful and having to just shave my head anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick01 View Post
    Htsoon, thank you for your reply and information.

I am a bit concerned about the side effects of the finasteride but I am desperate so willing to seriously consider it. I've checked with a few different clinics abroad - just waiting on a reply from dr erdogan in turkey who seems to have a good reputation.

My major concern is spending all this money on 3000 grafts and it looking awful and having to just shave my head anyway
    Unfortunately no surgery is guaranteed, even if you take finasteride. If you have it in your mind that you may need to shave why wait? Try it out, it's inexpensive with no risk.

I shaved my head for a year before I committed to surgery. It looks like you have a nice shaped head, who knows maybe you won't want a transplant after you shave, that could potentially save you a lot of time and money.

Remember once you embark on this journey it's for life, no surgery is scarless not even FUE, if you later decide to shave your head there will be scars visible. Finasteride has to be taken for life as well, you have to think long term, is having surgeries and taking hormone altering medications something you really want to do for the rest of your life? Again, I'm not trying to discourage you just trying to paint the full picture for you. Once you've really thought about this then you're better prepared good luck