+ Reply to Thread

Lightbulb Peru - No hairloss - doctor claims something in their diet, what is it ? let`s find

So, as I found out in another forum, Peru has almost no hairloss, Peruvian guys don`t get bald. Why ?

Quote :

I recently did the magical hike up to Machu Picchu in the highlands (Andes) of Peru and yes, it was amazing - both the hike and visit to Machu Picchu.

But before I talk about Peru... lets start things off earlier in 2012 when I dated a half Peruvian. I attended her father's 60th birthday (he's full Peruvian) and I was shocked to discover what great thick hair he had for his age. In fact, he barely had any gray or white hairs, some, but not much. I know guys in their 30s with much more gray/white and I certainly know guys in their 20s with less hair than this Peruvian man.

Now skip to the fall (late October/early November 2012) when I traveled to the beautiful country of Peru. I did a 5 day hike to Machu Picchu, spent about 4 days in Cuzco, 3 days in the Rainforest and then ended things in Lima.

The first thing you'll notice about the Peruvians is that they are short. I'm only 5'9" but was above average in height in Peru. Soo.. being 'taller' than most men, I was able to notice the 2nd thing that stood out... which was how incredibly thick and dark of ALL the men, regardless of age. Very full, very black, and course hair.

In fact, the first man in which I noticed some thinning did not look traditional Peruvian, sure enough since I asked, he had Italian roots and he was living along the coast (south of Lima). But in the highlands, I swear, I did not see a single bald guy... well... except for the obvious tourists.

OK.. I understand that Peru has a higher indigenous population (Quechua People). They are the people in which the traditional women wear their hair in braids, those traditional dresses, and in photos are usually seen with a llama, etc.

So there are three theories that I thought of...

1) Genes (indigenous)
    2) Altitude (Cuzco is 3300 metres high) and/or Climate
    3) Diet - Coca Leaf, Maca Root, etc.

1:
    I'm a western Canadian and as such, am surrounded by many Aboriginal people so I understand how native men historically (and still do) have good hair. But I noticed the older native men (here anyways) have thinner (non-mpb) hair. But the Quechua men, despite their age, had amazingly dark and thick hair. So is it just genes, and if so, why? what is in their genes?

2:
    Or could it be something to do with the highlands, the altitude, the climate? While Peruvian men still had healthy hair in Lima (along the coast), it wasn't as thick or dark as the highlands. There is less O2 in the blood apparently due to the high elevation which is why new people to the area should take the elevation sickness pill.

3:
    Or could it be diet? They're constantly chewing on Coca leaves, or drinking Coca Leaf Tea.. perhaps the Maca root.

Whatever the case... there is a distinct difference in the percentage of men with MPB in Peru vs. N. Americans/Europeans.
    And what made me search into this is my own experience :

I`ve spoken to a TOP doctor from my country that said he knows a person who treats people of hairloss just with some secret Peruvian diet.

I know this doctor, he doesn`t lie and he is very very serious when he says something. He doesn`t know the peruvian secret diet because that person asks for 2000/4000 euros for each patients.

So, seeing this thread made me think : wow ! this is true.

Let`s find out guys, what exactly do these people from Matchu Pitchu / Peru consume, and the western man does not consume ? Anyone wants to start researching with me ? post here the results and we shall experiment

There hair doesn't go gray as early as someone who is European (Caucasion). That's because the
    more pigmentation someone has, there hair will not go gray as fast. Not sure about the diet. Some
    people don't get gray hair until their forties, and possibly fifties.

Not about gray hair, it`s about they have no alopecia, more like 1%

Quote Originally Posted by sayian View Post
    Not about gray hair, it`s about they have no alopecia, more like 1%
    Correct, certain ethnic groups have a much lower occurrence of MPB.

No one cares to check their diet ?

Quote Originally Posted by Pittdawg View Post
    Correct, certain ethnic groups have a much lower occurrence of MPB.
    Which ethnic groups? You might be right. Europeans, Asians, and African genetics do have people with MPB.

no ideas ? anyone ?

More than likely genetic. Indigenous Americans of all ethnicities seem to have amazing hair into old age, they just seem like a race who are not very prone to hair loss overall (contrast to European and Middle Eastern men especially, who seem the most prone in my opinion).

I'm honestly sceptical that having a certain diet really helps prevent hair loss. Eating well can probably slow it down a bit, keep it at bay for a while, but I really doubt it's a long-term fix. There are plenty of men who live very healthy lifestyles who still lose their hair, and some who are utter slobs and eat crap all the time who don't.

Your "secret Peruvian diet" man sounds like he could be a scam. Might be genuine, probably isn't. The hair loss industry (yes, it's an industry) is full of conmen trying to make a quick buck by tricking desperate balding men into some "secret" cure. By all means research the Peruvian diet on your own, try it and see if you get results, just don't spend stupid money seeking "expert advice" from someone who is probably just out to make money on a scam.