+ Reply to Thread

Default Hair Transplant Texture Issues

Hello Everyone, I am 14 months post HT of 1850 grafts FUE. I have a hairline that overall I am happy with, despite a small area i'd eventually like to add 200-300 grafts to complete the overall hairline density on side of the temple region. Aside from that my only problem is with the texture of the transplanted hair maybe some of you can shed some light on.

The hair is thicker which is due to the back of the head being thicker in nature, but the problem lies on how it behaves, it is kinky, wiry, frizzy, brittle, and doesn't hold moisture as well as the surrounding hair. Its kinda dry feeling. It also doesn't handle heat styling tools to well. Now I didn't really have this issue between months 8-9, but now I am having this issue. If it matters I went to a highly respected surgeon.

Can anyone explain why this is or has gone through this and later on it softened itself out?

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyPayge View Post
    Hello Everyone, I am 14 months post HT of 1850 grafts FUE. I have a hairline that overall I am happy with, despite a small area i'd eventually like to add 200-300 grafts to complete the overall hairline density on side of the temple region. Aside from that my only problem is with the texture of the transplanted hair maybe some of you can shed some light on.

The hair is thicker which is due to the back of the head being thicker in nature, but the problem lies on how it behaves, it is kinky, wiry, frizzy, brittle, and doesn't hold moisture as well as the surrounding hair. Its kinda dry feeling. It also doesn't handle heat styling tools to well. Now I didn't really have this issue between months 8-9, but now I am having this issue. If it matters I went to a highly respected surgeon.

Can anyone explain why this is or has gone through this and later on it softened itself out?
    Hair texture will go through various stages during the recovery process, which can take quite a long time for some patient. However, I usually see texture issues like you mentioned earlier in the process rather than later so it is somewhat unusual for you to have these issues now rather than before. I wouldn't worry about it though as you still should see some improvements in this regards before you reach your two year anniversary. Give it some time and keep us updated.
    Joe Tillman
    The original Hair Transplant Mentor

Interested to know which doctors I recommend?
    See the full list at HairTransplantMentor.com/hair-transplant-doctors

Hi Jimmy

I have wavy hair with a lot of texture difference between the front and the back.
    The thing you are writing about is my biggest fear when it comes to doing a transplant. If it was not for this I would have done one years ago.
    Can you please show some pictures of the result before and after heat styling. I asked a respected surgeon about heat styling and he said it would be no problem.

Hey Ted, it doesnt matter your hair type it can even happen to people with straight thin hair. My normal hair is soft and silky, while the transplanted hairs are rough and coarse. Being 14 months post op, I am kind of worried about it being stuck like that. Using heat tools on alrdy dry brittle hair just will make it worse.

I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the follicles being damaged, as I was able to style my hair previously without problems in the earlier months. I did note the thickness difference still but I dont remeber it being so unmanageable like it is now. Could be that the grafts need to still transition I am not to sure.

I think it's because the back hair is in chock of being moved to "the front VIP seats" they are like -how the hell did this happen,,,shut up and try to blend in guys!
    the hair will most likely grow out normal after some time.