All Hope is Not Lost, After All - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Default All Hope is Not Lost, After All

These results may not yet be good enough for a full head of hair (though perhaps with tweaking they may be) but they certainly give good reason to have a hair transplant as soon as possible because the risk of looking unnatural in 10 years has suddenly decreased.

I received this e-mail from Histogen today:

HSC Trial Shows Continued Significant Hair Growth at One Year Follow-up

Histogen to present one year clinical trial data at Society for Investigative Dermatology Annual Meeting

SAN DIEGO, April 13, 2010 – Histogen, Inc., a regenerative medicine company developing solutions based on the products of newborn cells grown under embryonic conditions, today announced the one year data findings of its Hair Stimulating Complex (HSC) pilot clinical trial. Statistically significant new hair growth was seen in HSC-treated subjects at this follow-up timepoint, one year after their single treatment with HSC.

In addition to the number of new hairs, a statistically significant (p<0.05) increase in hair density, which is directly related to hair count over the treatment areas, was also seen at the one-year timepoint. Other efficacy factors, such as hair thickness and terminal hair density, showed an upward trend at this timepoint as well. The pilot trial tested two formulations of HSC and, although one formulation was determined to be superior, significant new hair growth was seen in both groups. (p=0.032)

This new data indicates that a single HSC treatment not only results in rapid hair growth (statistically significant increases in the number of terminal hairs, hair thickness density and hair shaft diameter was seen at three months), but that these results persist over time.

“Seeing continued hair growth at this one year follow-up is truly groundbreaking,” said Dr. Craig Ziering, Founder of Ziering Medical and Principal Investigator on the HSC clinical trial. “Not only do currently available non-surgical treatments show limited hair regrowth, but any new hair is lost shortly after discontinued use. We now have preliminary evidence that HSC significantly increases hair counts, and that the effects of a single treatment are lasting.”

The pilot 24 subject clinical trial of HSC was a double-blind, placebo-controlled evaluation of safety in the clinical application of the product as an injectable for hair growth. Quantitative analysis of clinical macrophotography and subject biopsies were utilized to evaluate treatment safety and efficacy. No adverse events were seen at any timepoint, including the one year follow-up.

HSC is a proprietary formulation of naturally secreted embryonic-like proteins and growth factors. In addition to Wnt 7a, which is recognized to be critical in the induction and maintenance of hair follicle growth, the complex contains a wide variety of factors typically produced by embryonic cells and which are important to the hair cycle, such as follistatin. While these embryonic-like materials are amplified under Histogen’s unique manufacturing conditions, undesirable proteins and growth factors, including Wnt 5a, which has been shown to be associated with cancer, are eliminated.

“The development of hair follicles is the consequence of a complex interplay of factors that is still being unraveled,” said Dr. Jonathan Mansbridge, Histogen’s Chief Scientific Officer. “However, several factors critical to hair growth, such as Wnt 7a, follistatin, VEGF and KGF, are present in HSC, and their secretion by the cells is stimulated by the culture conditions we use. The embryonic conditions under which our cells are manufactured not only upregulates genes associated with hair growth, but induces significantly more production of these critical factors than seen with other culture conditions.”

HSC is a unique composition resulting from growing newborn cells under embryonic conditions. The hypoxia/microgravity results in large amounts of follistatin (41.6 ng/ml in HSC versus 6.75 ng/ml in normal culture conditioned media), VEGF (9.1 ng/ml versus 2 ng/ml), KGF (5.4 ng/ml versus 2.1 ng/ml), and a lack of the scar-related TGF beta (0 ng/ml versus 1.7 ng/ml in normal cultures). This composition is covered by pending US patent #2010/0047305.

The full results of the HSC clinical trial will be presented at the Society for Investigative Dermatology (SID) Annual Meeting, taking place in Atlanta, May 5-8, 2010. Presentation abstracts have been published by SID are now available for review at http://sid.abstractcentral.com/login.

Histogen is currently in planning stages for the next clinical trial of HSC, which is scheduled to begin in late 2010. This next trial will further examine the safety and efficacy of the HSC product as an injectable for hair growth, and will also evaluate optimum treatment dosing and delivery. Histogen is currently seeking a Series B investment round, which will be utilized to finance these next stages of HSC development and trials.

Nice!

Yeah...I am pretty sure something will be avaibable soon, definitely in 10 years. Maybe/hopefully WAY sooner.

I hope I can regain some of my lost hair . My hair looks so crap right now dammit...

When do you think this treatment will be available for the public?

Do you have email or something?

I have absolutely no idea when, or if, this product will be available. At a guess, I would say if it passes safety trials it might be on course to meet the company's own 2013 target. Of course, if it is available in the USA by that date, I imagine it will be available much sooner in the free world. Well, fingers crossed anyway.

This is truly amazing..........

I definitely won't live a life as a bald guy! YAY!

For now I will just take finasteride and use excessive amounts of minoxidil ...

I truly hope this is available soon...and that it does work.

There is a lot of hope. I hope you have now changed your mind about all of this!

If you are in a hurry...then just get a HT and hang in there until this becomes available.

Btw did minoxidil not work for you? I assume it does atleast something in everyone.

This is fantastic news! Have you listened to this interview?

http://www.thebaldtruth.com/articles...wth-interview/

Was a great interview!

Listened to it this morning hehe.

Fixed By 35. Hope you have checked that out.

Indeed I have. Looks like I'll be going to Asia in 2012!

In the meantime, I think Actistem have something, scientifically speaking. It's going to be an interesting few years.

On another positive note, I think we could well have up to five companies with something tangible by the end of the year (Aderans, Trichoscience, Follica, TRX-2 and, of course, Histogen). In order of who will give a bald man a full head of hair from first to last, I would say:

1) Aderans
    2) Histogen
    3) Follica
    4) TRX-2
    5) Trichoscience

I believe all these companies will achieve their goals soon (each and every one will have something tangible within a year) and the competition is good. There can be no hanging about for any of these companies and investors will be demanding results before they part with their capital.

It also means lengthy clinical trials will have to be conducted fast to capture the big payout. Whoever gets there first gets the entire long term bald market. The future market will be newly bald and top ups, not nearly as lucrative!

That is very true.

The competition is good .

My hair will definitely remain ok untill one of these companies pull it off .

Histogen has already pulled it off...they just need to get on the market.

Inactive

Lightbulb

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, and I hope as much as everyone here that a true baldness cure is discovered soon, but realistically, the effective hair loss restorative is akin to the flying car -- it's been "5-10 years away" for the better part of a century now, with every development touted as "the cure for baldness may be a reality soon."

Note, for example, that twenty years ago "test tube hair" was being reported on as something that could lead to an "effective treatment" for baldness within ten years:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...g=6804,1391625