+ Reply to Thread

Default Objective advice/discussion about Turkish clinics

Hello,

I am about to do a hair transplant, mostly looking to fill up the front hair line and got plenty of donor hair. I am located in Europe and have been sending price quotes all over Europe. Belgium is extremely expensive, more so than where I come from. turkey is not that cheap, looking for around 2500 grafts(been giving quotes from 1800-3000). But the Turkish clinics have been quick to answer at least. I am considering the following clinics, could you guys give some insight, pros and cons on the clinics you have experience with or know something about? I read that some doctors have been sloppy, that is why I would like to get fresh information.

Clinics considered:
    Dr. Hakan DOGANAY at AHD clinic, IHRS
    Dr.Demirsoy at http://www.hairtransplants-armamed.com/
    DR. EKREM CIVAS at www.civashairtransplant.com
    Dr.Tugrul MARAL at http://www.maralhairklinik.com/
    Dr. Koray Erdogan at http://www.hairtransplantfue.org/ (no quote received yet)
    Also waiting on a quote from others, will update if they answer timely

I am extremely grateful for anyone that takes their time to answer me, this is a very important issue for me. I want the best ratio between cost/result, but I am not going to pay less for a lousy result. So please advice me accordingly

Unhappy

Figure out your highest budget, and go the whomever you think is the best within that budget.

I got mine done at Clinicana a week ago. Their customer service was excellent, they charge a flat ($2350) fee regardless of the amount of FUE grafts (includes 2 hotel nights at nice hotel) .

Technicians (young women) do the work, not the Dr. . The Dr. draws the hairline and examines the work once it's done.

If you wait 6 months-1 year, you'll see what kind of results I get. If they are fully satisfactory, then it will have been a great deal. If not, then you'll know to go elsewhere

Dr erdogan's results and techniques are amazing if I wasn't bat shit afraid of flying (yes I have flown a few times and hate it) I would go to him in a heart beat.

Quote Originally Posted by abandonhope View Post
    Figure out your highest budget, and go the whomever you think is the best within that budget.

I got mine done at Clinicana a week ago. Their customer service was excellent, they charge a flat ($2350) fee regardless of the amount of FUE grafts (includes 2 hotel nights at nice hotel) .

Technicians (young women) do the work, not the Dr. . The Dr. draws the hairline and examines the work once it's done.

If you wait 6 months-1 year, you'll see what kind of results I get. If they are fully satisfactory, then it will have been a great deal. If not, then you'll know to go elsewhere
    How can you get a hair transplant that inexpensive? where is it at? Geese these American doctors are so over priced. I get it they want to make a living but 20,000 per surgery is rediculous unless all you care about is money.

Most likely I am going with a local clinic. They have performed hair transplants on famous people and they do not concentrate on the amount of grafts, but more about what is needed for a complete coverage. They also have ethics, they will not take more grafts than should be done in case of more hair loss down the road. I am not feeling good with all the talk about grafts and their aggressive approach in turkey. How do I know that I get the amount of grafts that the quote is based on? The clinic I most likely is using, the doctor is doing all the work himself. The only step done by others is analyzing the grafts health by a microscope and grouping the.

Not bashing other clinics, but the fact that they have a guarantee of 90% graft survival and good service does that I don't feel like using a foreign clinic. Thank you for all the answers though, much appreciated. All the info in here made my decision and I am grateful for that.

Just came back from a turkish clinic. They used less grafts then initially quoted as my donor turned out better than initially determined by the contact person. Too soon to tell if I've made the right choice ofcourse but feeling not bad about having gone to Turkey.

Quote Originally Posted by Soonfullhead View Post
    Most likely I am going with a local clinic. They have performed hair transplants on famous people and they do not concentrate on the amount of grafts, but more about what is needed for a complete coverage. They also have ethics, they will not take more grafts than should be done in case of more hair loss down the road. I am not feeling good with all the talk about grafts and their aggressive approach in turkey. How do I know that I get the amount of grafts that the quote is based on? The clinic I most likely is using, the doctor is doing all the work himself. The only step done by others is analyzing the grafts health by a microscope and grouping the.

Not bashing other clinics, but the fact that they have a guarantee of 90% graft survival and good service does that I don't feel like using a foreign clinic. Thank you for all the answers though, much appreciated. All the info in here made my decision and I am grateful for that.
    The last reason why you should go with a clinic is because they work on famous people. Why? Because famous people are generally not very smart and they certainly don't have the time to do the proper research for their own case. Most will typically work through their managers or their assistants and it goes something like this.

Celebrity - Damn. This hair thing is bugging me. "Assistant! Find a good doctor to help me with my hair!".

Assistant - "Yessir!". Picks up the phone and rings other assistants in "the inner circle". Asks about options and names will be shared. Done.

Or they'll be talking with their manager about it and the manager is the one that might do some research. Once they find a few clinics to talk to they make you sign off on non-disclosures before they even tell you whom they're representing. It's not always like this but you get the picture. Occasionally I've had some smart celebrities ring on their own, like a director or producer, but it's rare.

The problem I see with concentrating on "what is needed" is that you don't really know what you're getting. For instance, if your clinic is charging 6K to "cover the front" and then they charge someone similar to you 5K to also "cover the front" how do you know you're getting your extra 1K worth of hair? Is that really fair? One argument could be that it is fair because the patient is paying for a complete job and everything that is required to get it done. On the flip side it can be argued that no one has ever complained of having "too much hair" so if one patient gets more hair than the other for less money then that isn't exactly fair, either. How would you feel if you found out you paid 6K and got 1500 grafts while someone else paid 5K and got 1800 grafts?

I think this is where the argument for hair counts comes into play. The number of grafts is important but so is the number of hairs. In fact, when you have the number of hairs included in the post-surgical report you can determine how the procedure was approached by the doctor. If you have a higher hair count then you had more "big grafts" of three and four hairs. If you have a lower hair count you know you had more single hair grafts. You can even come up with the average number of hairs per graft that were used for your case.

Regarding the flat rate fee in Turkey, I spent time in one of these clinics a year ago while I was in Istanbul and they charged €1500, all inclusive. I spoke to three brothers that had just finished their procedures and each of them had nearly 4000 grafts in one day. The time of day I was talking to them was roughly 2 p.m. The amount of speed necessary to extract AND place 4000 grafts by 2 p.m. is reckless if any reasonable survival rate is to be expected so they were either very reckless or just didn't do 4000 grafts and simply told the patients they did. Their heads were wrapped tight, too so there was no way they'd be able to look at their scalps till a few days after they left the clinic and headed home. When clinics like this are doing ten or more procedures a day, sometimes even twenty procedures a day, it just gets a bit ridiculous to expect any sort of reliability in reporting the particulars of the case. Refinement is lost and consistency is non-existent.

There can be a lot of happy patients that come out of these type of clinics but there is also the argument that most patients don't realize what "natural" means and are basically just happy to have a hairline again. The overall expectations and standards demanded by patients ten years ago has dissipated due to the poor education of patients and presentations seen by clinics that were not in business even five or so years ago. It is a sad state of affairs when patients are happy with their new hairlines even when the only reason there is any density is because of the numerous three and four hair grafts that were used to achieve this density. Hairlines should be constructed of mostly single hair grafts but since FUE can rarely produce naturally occurring single hairs, compromises have to be made and unfortunately many of those compromises are at the detriment to naturalness.
    Joe Tillman
    The original Hair Transplant Mentor

Interested to know which doctors I recommend?
    See the full list at HairTransplantMentor.com/hair-transplant-doctors

Quote Originally Posted by JoeTillman View Post
    The last reason why you should go with a clinic is because they work on famous people. Why? Because famous people are generally not very smart and they certainly don't have the time to do the proper research for their own case. Most will typically work through their managers or their assistants and it goes something like this.

Celebrity - Damn. This hair thing is bugging me. "Assistant! Find a good doctor to help me with my hair!".

Assistant - "Yessir!". Picks up the phone and rings other assistants in "the inner circle". Asks about options and names will be shared. Done.

Or they'll be talking with their manager about it and the manager is the one that might do some research. Once they find a few clinics to talk to they make you sign off on non-disclosures before they even tell you whom they're representing. It's not always like this but you get the picture. Occasionally I've had some smart celebrities ring on their own, like a director or producer, but it's rare.

The problem I see with concentrating on "what is needed" is that you don't really know what you're getting. For instance, if your clinic is charging 6K to "cover the front" and then they charge someone similar to you 5K to also "cover the front" how do you know you're getting your extra 1K worth of hair? Is that really fair? One argument could be that it is fair because the patient is paying for a complete job and everything that is required to get it done. On the flip side it can be argued that no one has ever complained of having "too much hair" so if one patient gets more hair than the other for less money then that isn't exactly fair, either. How would you feel if you found out you paid 6K and got 1500 grafts while someone else paid 5K and got 1800 grafts?

I think this is where the argument for hair counts comes into play. The number of grafts is important but so is the number of hairs. In fact, when you have the number of hairs included in the post-surgical report you can determine how the procedure was approached by the doctor. If you have a higher hair count then you had more "big grafts" of three and four hairs. If you have a lower hair count you know you had more single hair grafts. You can even come up with the average number of hairs per graft that were used for your case.

Regarding the flat rate fee in Turkey, I spent time in one of these clinics a year ago while I was in Istanbul and they charged €1500, all inclusive. I spoke to three brothers that had just finished their procedures and each of them had nearly 4000 grafts in one day. The time of day I was talking to them was roughly 2 p.m. The amount of speed necessary to extract AND place 4000 grafts by 2 p.m. is reckless if any reasonable survival rate is to be expected so they were either very reckless or just didn't do 4000 grafts and simply told the patients they did. Their heads were wrapped tight, too so there was no way they'd be able to look at their scalps till a few days after they left the clinic and headed home. When clinics like this are doing ten or more procedures a day, sometimes even twenty procedures a day, it just gets a bit ridiculous to expect any sort of reliability in reporting the particulars of the case. Refinement is lost and consistency is non-existent.

There can be a lot of happy patients that come out of these type of clinics but there is also the argument that most patients don't realize what "natural" means and are basically just happy to have a hairline again. The overall expectations and standards demanded by patients ten years ago has dissipated due to the poor education of patients and presentations seen by clinics that were not in business even five or so years ago. It is a sad state of affairs when patients are happy with their new hairlines even when the only reason there is any density is because of the numerous three and four hair grafts that were used to achieve this density. Hairlines should be constructed of mostly single hair grafts but since FUE can rarely produce naturally occurring single hairs, compromises have to be made and unfortunately many of those compromises are at the detriment to naturalness.
    Thank you for the insight. The main argument for choosing them is not that they have done work on important people, but the whole package. They have a very nice presentation, my consultant took very good care of me. Did not promise me that I could get whatever transplantation I wanted, because they had a reputation to live up to. The doctors only do one procedure per day and gets two weeks of every four week to rest. The doctor I talked to with the sales consultant told me how the front hair line should be made out of single hairs. The point being, they seems very professional, they are just down the road so to say, and I get support if I need. Too many good selling points for me to say no.

And also, Dr Koray Erdogan prices was horribly high compared to what I have to pay. At the clinic I am going to use, they only do a maximum of 1800 grafts per day, because there is no way of keeping the hairs fresh enough and do good work. I believe them, therefore I will stay away from clinics promising 3500 grafts on a day, without any guarantee

Quote Originally Posted by Soonfullhead View Post
    Thank you for the insight. The main argument for choosing them is not that they have done work on important people, but the whole package. They have a very nice presentation, my consultant took very good care of me. Did not promise me that I could get whatever transplantation I wanted, because they had a reputation to live up to. The doctors only do one procedure per day and gets two weeks of every four week to rest. The doctor I talked to with the sales consultant told me how the front hair line should be made out of single hairs. The point being, they seems very professional, they are just down the road so to say, and I get support if I need. Too many good selling points for me to say no.
    Proximity, presentation, customer service. Any clinic that isn't a backstreet chop-shop can tick such boxes. None of that stuff really matters compared to the final result. Has the clinic you're going to got a wealth of excellent results, posted both by the clinic and also by patients online? If you're looking to save money then thats a different matter. Plenty of good budget clinics in Turkey but none that stand up to the quality of elite surgeons.

Soonful, in all of your posts I've yet to see any reference to you seeing actual results.

Being that they are a local clinic I would imagine you'd have access to local patients so you can meet and discuss without having the clinic watch over the interaction. If you have not met patients then it is imperative that you do since you are local. This is a golden opportunity, in fact, because it is far more difficult to meet patients from clinics that you have to hop on a plane to visit.

If the clinic gives you a line about not violating patient confidentiality, you should walk away. No medical ethic that covers confidentiality prevents the clinic from ASKING former patients if they are willing to meet with prospective new patients. Many clinics will have forms that the former patient can sign to waive such confidentiality and the patient has the right to dictate what information can or cannot be given out. For instance, they don't even have to give their real name, or their entire name. They can just instruct the clinic to tell new patients that your name is "Bob" and give them your email address. That's all that matters and then then it is up to the former patient and new patient to coordinate how they will communicate, meet, etc. outside of the clinic's influence.

You owe it to yourself because if you squander this duty that you owe to yourself you are setting yourself up for potential disappointment and grief that could easily be avoided.
    Joe Tillman
    The original Hair Transplant Mentor

Interested to know which doctors I recommend?
    See the full list at HairTransplantMentor.com/hair-transplant-doctors