+ Reply to Thread

Default Interesting - EFA deficiency

Could we all be losing our hair because of an EFA (Essential Fatty Acid) deficiency in our diets do to malnutrition? Particularly, Omega 3 & 6.

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/omega-6-000317.htm

"Omega-6 fatty acids are considered essential fatty acids: They are necessary for human health but the body can’t make them -- you have to get them through food. Along with omega-3 fatty acids, omega-6 fatty acids play a crucial role in brain function as well as normal growth and development. Also known as polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs), they help stimulate skin and hair growth, maintain bone health, regulate metabolism, and maintain the reproductive system."

I recently made a switch in my diet to consume hulled hemp seed which is significantly rich in these particular EFA's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemp#Nutrition

"About 30–35% of the weight of hempseed is hempseed oil or hemp oil, an edible oil that contains about 80% essential fatty acids (EFAs); i.e., linoleic acid, omega-6 (LA, 55%), alpha-linolenic acid, omega-3 (ALA, 22%), in addition to gamma-linolenic acid, omega-6 (GLA, 1–4%) and stearidonic acid, omega-3 (SDA, 0–2%). Whole hempseed also contains about 25% of a highly-digestible protein, where 1/3 is edestin and 2/3 are albumins. Its amino acid profile is close to "complete" when compared to more common sources of proteins such as meat, milk, eggs and soy.[20] The proportions of linoleic acid and alpha-linolenic acid in one tablespoon (15 ml) per day of hemp oil easily provides human daily requirements for EFAs. Unlike flaxseed oil, hemp oil can be used continuously without developing a deficiency or other imbalance of EFAs.[21]"

http://www.vegetariannutrition.net/a...-Nutrition.php

"Not all fats are damaging to health. Some fats are protective, and two in particular are essential to life – they are the essential fatty acids (EFA), linoleic acid (omega-6) and alpha-linolenic acid (omega-3).

Changes in our food supply since the industrial revolution have jeopardized both the quantity and balance of these nutrients. Our current dietary pattern provides excessive amounts of omega-6 fatty acids in relation to omega-3 fatty acid content (1,2). This imbalance of essential fatty acids affects vegetarians at least as much as omnivores. In addition, the trend towards very low fat vegetarian diets (10% or less of calories from fat) may further compromise essential fatty acid intake."

Thought I would share, will keep you updated on any progress. If nothing else, hemp seed is packed with protein and has natural anti-inflammatory properties.[23] Anyone else with more information is encouraged to submit it as constructive criticism. Thanks for your time.

I have taken EFA supplements the last year, on and off.

They definitely did not help with my hair loss. I am only 20.

No, hair loss is genetic. Lots of little things might contribute to hair loss, some things might trigger it and some things might stop drugs like propecia working as well as they could. Some things are excellent growth stimulants, in tandem with a DHT blocker. But baldness is primarily caused by genetics and is unavoidable.

The only way to fight hair loss is by taking propecia or avodart to block DHT (arguably beta sitosterol or saw palmetto can also do this, but I haven't seen any evidence); minoxidal and/or nizoral to stimulate growth and, if you want an extra boost, to take things like biotin and eat more healthily. Nothing else works, other than to have a placebo effect. Results may vary and in most cases if not fought early enough hair loss becomes impossible to reverse should of having a hair transplant.

However, new treatments are on the way, the most promising of which changes on an almost daily basis. Companies to watch include Follica, Aderans, Histogen, Trichoscience and TRX2. Possibly Actistem too, although I find the company slightly suspect. Most others are scams.

Hair loss is also caused by some diseases as well as by genetics. Don't let your doctor fob you off immediately with a dianosis of male pattern baldness. Always have a blood test to eliminate other causes, unlikely though they may be. These include diabetes and thyroid problems. Sometimes these conditions can trigger early onset MPB in some men prone to the condition.

Yeah.

Histogen looks extremely promising... I am pretty sure I won't have to live a bald life.

Taking EFA supplements is a very very good idea. It will benefit your health a lot. I take them for general health.

Essential fatty acids are worth taking for brain and joint health but don't expect them to help you grow hair.

Yeah, they are for overall health. Probably will do SOME good for your hair but I doubt it does anything really. probably makes you just overall slightly healthier person if you take it in the long run. Def a good thing to take. But not for balding.