Newly recognised hair thinning.....and in summary my options? - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread

Default Newly recognised hair thinning.....and in summary my options?

Hi All,

I stumbled across this site a few days back and have been looking through it trying to gather the different information and various peoples thoughts, to understand what options are available to me and what is realistic vs fantasy.

For the sake of completeness I'm 38 and only recently discovered that my hair was thinning. I don't know how long it has been thinning for. It's only happening at my crown, and only a chance photo recently where I was bending down indicated an issue, which I checked out. I do recall about 3 years a barber showing me my scalp and it was a two tone colour, so that the hair on my crown was ginger and not brown. However there was no indication that it was thinning. From front and side profile I have a good hear of hair and no particularly thinning at the temples either. So that was why this crown thinning has been quite a shock. Looking at some other posts and thoughts on this it seems that was probably an forward signal I could have picked up on.

Anyway I'm here now and the below photos were taken about 10 days ago. I've since been looking into the issue on online and of course getting lost in the huge amount of "stuff" out there on MPB.

So as newbie my summary of what I've read is as follows:
    There are a range of options involving surgery which most come down to hair transplant and such. This can be expensive but tends to have higher probably results.

There is is Finasteride which is an oral dosage which as a generic is relatively cheap ( Superdrug in the UK are quoting me 28 tablet, I don't know the dosage, for 37 GBP or 168 tablets, seemingly 6 months worth for 165 GBP.
    Some people hate this drug and the side effects it has caused and some seem to swear by it.

There are then topicals such as Regaine and others - honestly I haven't investigated this too much as yet, next on the list.

And then there are the natural solutions being touted, which are very appealing but kind of everywhere. The key concept firstly very healthy vegetable diet and juicing to reduce the abundance and sensitivity to DHT and then topical application of items such as Onion juice, ginger, saw palmetto, apple polyphenols, coriander, green tea, peppermint oil and similar.

Honestly I like the idea of the natural solution and regardless aspects of it would be a great lifestyle choice, reduce blood pressure and fat etc - so a win regardless. And I already have a juicer, just stopped using it some time back due to convenience and general busyness, so I'm that way inclined. However I don't know how effective these are. I saw in the naturals thread Herbalizer/Fidelity seems to have some great results with his formula and the photos he posted, but the final posts in the thread where someone (Sayin I think it was) tried to replicate it, had no success.

Ultimately I'd like some of you kind folks to review my pics - tell how bad it is (relatively speaking - I'd prefer to go bald and be healthy and haired and not) and the reality of the options available.

Cheers guys
    T
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0087.jpg

Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	49191   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0088.jpg

Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	49192   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0090.jpg

Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	49193  

Also is there any feedback on taken finasteride and trying to conceive? We're hoping to try for another child early next year. With many of the potential side effects of finasteride being in the sexual department that is something of a concern. Is this something that has been raised as medical advice for any of you who are currently or have taken finasteride in the past? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Also is there any feedback on taken finasteride and trying to conceive? We're hoping to try for another child early next year. With many of the potential side effects of finasteride being in the sexual department that is something of a concern. Is this something that has been raised as medical advice for any of you who are currently or have taken finasteride in the past? Thanks

If you have doubt, just take Minoxidil before you have your next child. Finasteride is better for hair loss than Minoxidil. You have hair loss in the easiest place to treat. The vertex is very easy to regrow hair. But you only have a window of so long.

Good luck. Also, it probably has been thinning for some time. But since you have terminal hair in the areas of thinning, you most likely will be able to regrow hair.

I do think the side-effects of finasteride are dramatically over-played on the internet. I've read a few scare-stories but most men seem to tolerate it well. I've been on it since February this year with no sides at all. With that said though, I am in my early 20s and I don't know if age has anything to do with it. It is said that Finasteride may reduce sperm count in some men, which you will want to consider if trying for a child.

Also be aware that pregnant women especially (well, women in general) should never handle finasteride because it can mess with their hormones and have effects on the baby.

Regaine is said to be very effective in the crown area though, so you might consider that instead, at least for now until you have your child. As K9gatton said, you're not like completely slick bald yet at the crown, so you have the possibility of thickening that back up some. At this point, it is somewhat advanced so it'll probably never be what it was again, but you'll be able to re-thicken to some degree.

I don't know how much I buy the natural solutions. I think they can certainly slow down hair loss, but if Finasteride and Rogaine don't even work for every man (they actually don't work for some men), I highly doubt simply eating a bit better and taking some herbs will. Worth trying for sure, for your overall health more than anything else, but idk. I get thoughts that men have probably attempted that for decades if not centuries and there are still bald men everywhere.

If all this fails, you look like a good candidate for a hair transplant if it means that much to you. It's good that your hair looks very thick elsewhere and you still have a decent hairline and temples, you don't seem to be losing so much hair that a transplant won't be possible, it's just the crown area. If you were losing hair all over the top of your head as well, you really would be f****d.

Finasteride is definitely dangerous for unborn males. Finasteride can absorb through the skin.

This guy would really benefit, I believe, with Minoxidil. Because he has a lot of terminal hair left
    on his diffuse vertex.

Only forty five percent of men are Minoxidil responders.

That said, he is 38 years old. So his body is probably not producing the DHT he produced in his twenties.
    And his remaining terminal hair, in addition to his hair being thick, would probably make him a very good candidate to normal dosages of Minoxidil.

Also, he is not bothered by it (which is good). A hair transplant for this guy would take away hair density from other areas.

I would imagine Tricky would be more upset with a hair transplant, in his particular case. Because his DHT hair that hasn't fallen out, eventually would without medication management.