+ Reply to Thread

Default I think it's time to do some serious research

This is a really great forum, the internet has been so helpful and confusing in helping me learn about hair transplantation.

I am not new to hair loss and have been fighting it for about 5 years. I have been taking Propecia with decent success but I feel it's time to fill in the balding areas. Most of it is in the crown and top of my head. My hairline is still in tact so I think I am holding steady and would benefit from a hair transplant. I'm prematurely graying so my hair is starting to look salt and pepper which I read is good when having a hair transplant.

I'd like to know what some of my first steps should be in my research. What questions do I need to ask and are the costs about the same for most doctors or can it vary widely.

Thanks for any help that you can provide!

You sound like a smart person who understands that you have to do your research before having hair transplant surgery. What I like most about this forum is that there are many renowned experts who spend time here, post information and take time to answer peoples questions.

I think your first step would be to learn about procedure and other peoples experiences by reading the the patient posts on this site. IAHRS surgeons are the best in the word so you can start researching surgeons on this site or by going to www.iahrs.org You should also learn if you are a candidate for hair transplantation so you should either meet with a couple of surgeons or post some pictures in the forum so you can get and opinion online. The cost can vary, but it is never cheap. Some doctors have prices on their websites and some you’ll have to call or e-mail. I know what you mean about how the internet can be confusing when researching hair transplantation, but you found the best place. If you spend enough time here you’ll learn a lot.

Thank you Winston!

I don't have a digital camera right now but I'll see if I can figure out how to take a good picture with my built in web camera. I'll try later. I've gone through several posts and iahrs doctor pictures and I'm very impressed so far. I also checked out iahrs.org site and have begun reserching the doctors who I think I might be able to meet with in person. I have a feeling that this is going to take some time, so I'm not going to put myself on any type of a deadline. I'll take the plunge when I feel fully informed and confident in my choices.

Thanks again for your knowledgeable response and when I figure it out I'll try to post my pictures.

It'll probably be hard to take photos without any help since your hairloss is not at the front, but keep trying and make sure they are well lit.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

I would say that a good place to start would be to decide what sort of procedure you would like to have: FUE or FUT. You can find a lot of information on this forum about the pros and cons of each but feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Once you decide on a technique, you can move on to narrowing down a list of doctors who practice your technique of choice. Read everything you can find on your top choices and look at their patients result photos and videos. As you further narrow down your selection, schedule consultations with a few surgeons. Many clinics offer free consultations and a lot even offer them online so that you do not need to travel. The doctors will evaluate your current level of hair loss, personal hair characteristics and have you discuss your expectations. He or she will make a recommendation for treatment and, if they consider you a suitable candidate for hair transplant surgery, they will recommend a certain number of grafts and give you an idea on pricing. Costs can vary a great deal but don't let price be an overreaching deciding factor because the results of a HT are something you will live with for the rest of your life.

Before you get too in depth with your research, however, you may want to get an idea from experienced forum members regarding whether you are a good candidate for hair transplant surgery. Ultimately, you will need to speak with a doctor to know for sure but if you post pictures, your age, and information about your hair loss to date, as well as family hair loss history, other members will be able to give you an idea of whether or not you are a suitable candidate.