+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default PRP Combined with FUE Procedure

I recently received a hair consultation and, based on my level of MPB (Norwood 3), was recommended FUE or FUT combined with PRP treatment. The doctor I consulted with is an IAHRS member in NYC who has exclusively performed HTs for decades, so I am hard-pressed to question his level of expertise.

However, based on reading the research/posts online, there seems to be a lot of ambiguity with the effectiveness of PRP as standalone.

Can anyone explain the benefits or logic of doing a PRP in the same session that the FUE is done? Is it fair to think that even though PRP on it's own should not be considered an effective long-term solution, that it could hold benefits by combining it along with the FUE surgery?

Quote Originally Posted by rbkoreaus View Post
    Can anyone explain the benefits or logic of doing a PRP in the same session that the FUE is done? Is it fair to think that even though PRP on it's own should not be considered an effective long-term solution, that it could hold benefits by combining it along with the FUE surgery?
    I had PRP in conjunction with FUE a few months ago. As it was explained to me, there's some evidence to suggest PRP helps with healing/recovery and reduces the likelihood of shock loss. It was offered complimentary by my surgeon, so I figured I had nothing to lose. That said, it did not prevent shock loss in my case. Obviously it's impossible to say how much -- or if -- the shock loss would have been worse without the PRP treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by thinning85 View Post
    I had PRP in conjunction with FUE a few months ago. As it was explained to me, there's some evidence to suggest PRP helps with healing/recovery and reduces the likelihood of shock loss. It was offered complimentary by my surgeon, so I figured I had nothing to lose. That said, it did not prevent shock loss in my case. Obviously it's impossible to say how much -- or if -- the shock loss would have been worse without the PRP treatment.
    Thanks for your response. Are you satisfied with the overall results so far?

I've considered it in the past but since pretty much every feedback I found from people who got PRP (with and without Acell) ranged between no results and severe worsening of their hair situation I will never do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Louish View Post
    I've considered it in the past but since pretty much every feedback I found from people who got PRP (with and without Acell) ranged between no results and severe worsening of their hair situation I will never do it.
    Most of the information I have seen online shows only a temporary benefit with PRP alone where the patient needs to almost regularly get PRP injections. I'm just trying to understand if there is a benefit doing it in combination with FUE, whether it helps lessen shock loss, or helps with healing process, etc. I'd like to better understand this from a medical perspective from those who are not selling me the product.

I'm definitely going to give PRP a try. But I don't think it will help my hairline. I've seen pictures in Canada, and it seems
    most guys just gain hair in the vertex area.

Hopefully I'm wrong about that. Any thoughts or opinions on saving my receding hairline? I'm currently a Norwood three Vertex
    now. And I do have vellus hairs on my receding hairline.

Quote Originally Posted by rbkoreaus View Post
    Most of the information I have seen online shows only a temporary benefit with PRP alone where the patient needs to almost regularly get PRP injections. I'm just trying to understand if there is a benefit doing it in combination with FUE, whether it helps lessen shock loss, or helps with healing process, etc. I'd like to better understand this from a medical perspective from those who are not selling me the product.
    That's gonna be hard, the only people who have done studies like half the recipient zone with PRP and the other half without are all surgeons selling the stuff.

That's gonna be hard, the only people who have done studies like half the recipient zone with PRP and the other half without are all surgeons selling the stuff.
    From what I heard, the results are fairly quick. You get them within a few weeks.

The problem is, I don't know how well it works for the hairline. I would think it wouldn't be any different. I just don't know.

The OP is only interested in PRP as a complement to his HT right at the end of the session. Measuring the results is quite harder since most of the gain is higher yield and faster regrowth. Both are already quite unpredictable, hard to tell if PRP made it better or worse.

The OP is only interested in PRP as a complement to his HT right at the end of the session. Measuring the results is quite harder since most of the gain is higher yield and faster regrowth. Both are already quite unpredictable, hard to tell if PRP made it better or worse.
    Does anybody knows if PRP therapy helps the forehead? Can't see why not.