+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Conflicting advice about how many grafts I may need

Hi all, I'm a total newbie both here and in the world of hair restoration so sorry if I'm a bit slow to understand some things but please bear with me!

I recently decided to pursue the idea of a hair transplant, I've narrowed my options down to two doctors, both in different countries to me (I live in New Zealand). I'm not going to mention the names of these doctors for now because I don't want to risk bias in any potential replies and I also believe they are both recommended on this site and may read this thread.

I'm very confident that both doctors have excellent reputations but the thing is they've given me conflicting advice as to how many grafts I may need. One says 2000-2500 and the other says 4000. These estimates have been made only by looking at photos I emailed them so I totally understand that I can't get an exact number, but they're miles apart!

Anyway, my question is: If you look at the photos I've attached, would anybody be able to tell me which of the two estimates is more likely to be correct?

Thanks in advance and feel free to ask any questions if I've missed anything.Click image for larger version

Name:	20161005_092246.jpg

Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	48878Click image for larger version

Name:	20161005_092539.jpg

Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	48879Click image for larger version

Name:	20161005_092637.jpg

Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	48880Click image for larger version

Name:	20161005_092910.jpg

Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	48881Click image for larger version

Name:	20161005_095150.jpg

Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	48882

Hmmmm.

2000 seems very low.

I can tell you that you and I have similar balding patterns-- except you have a stronger crown.

Anyway, my transplant was 3,700 grafts and that was to re-build the entire front third.

Based on my own experience and looking at your images, I'd say 4,000 was closer to the mark.

Hal
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hair front third.jpg

Size:	4.0 KB
ID:	48883  

Quote Originally Posted by hal View Post

Based on my own experience and looking at your images, I'd say 4,000 was closer to the mark.

Hal
    Useful advice, thanks very much

Quote Originally Posted by HLab View Post
    Hi all, I'm a total newbie both here and in the world of hair restoration so sorry if I'm a bit slow to understand some things but please bear with me!

I recently decided to pursue the idea of a hair transplant, I've narrowed my options down to two doctors, both in different countries to me (I live in New Zealand). I'm not going to mention the names of these doctors for now because I don't want to risk bias in any potential replies and I also believe they are both recommended on this site and may read this thread.

I'm very confident that both doctors have excellent reputations but the thing is they've given me conflicting advice as to how many grafts I may need. One says 2000-2500 and the other says 4000. These estimates have been made only by looking at photos I emailed them so I totally understand that I can't get an exact number, but they're miles apart!

Anyway, my question is: If you look at the photos I've attached, would anybody be able to tell me which of the two estimates is more likely to be correct?

Thanks in advance and feel free to ask any questions if I've missed anything.Attachment 48878Attachment 48879Attachment 48880Attachment 48881Attachment 48882

When I was a consultant working for one clinic I would see photos like yours and salivate. If you are considering FUSS you are an IDEAL candidate. Why? Because I can see that your donor density is high, maybe even above average, and you have a low contrast between your hair color and your scalp color. Low contrast means stronger illusion of density.

So the question becomes, are you looking at FUE or FUSS? Both are great procedures but you have to understand the limitations of both and that is something that is not going to fit into one post. You need to do a lot of research so that you have fewer surprises once you have the procedure.

My preference, coming from a background of mega-sessions, is that when you get into the realm of 4000 or more grafts you're taking an unnecessary risk. This is because this is going to be 50% of your total donor reserves (depending on procedure) and if it doesn't work out then you will turn into one of those guys that we see every day looking for repair work.

I think going for around 3000 would be the safer option. You have less tension on the donor wound if you opt for FUSS and you aren't depleting your donor density if you opt for FUE. If you do decide on FUE then make sure the clinic you are considering takes from the widest extraction pattern possible in order to minimize the cosmetic impact from the 1/1/1 ratio of donor extraction. This ratio means that for every one follicular unit that is removed there is an equal reduction in density and an equal increase in scarring.

I could go on, as there is so much to understand, but you've started out right by using IAHRS doctors. It's a good starting point.

I'll leave you with this video to watch and consider...

Joe Tillman
    The original Hair Transplant Mentor

Interested to know which doctors I recommend?
    See the full list at HairTransplantMentor.com/hair-transplant-doctors

Quote Originally Posted by Rashid Rashid, MD, PhD View Post
    The docs maybe great but its not always them seeing the photos and this may be why. I think in person consults would be the next step.
    Thanks for your comment and I completely agree, although it's a long flight to the doctor so I really need to do as much research as possible before I have a consultation in person.

Would you have any idea from the photos how many grafts I may need?

Quote Originally Posted by JoeTillman View Post
    So the question becomes, are you looking at FUE or FUSS? Both are great procedures but you have to understand the limitations of both and that is something that is not going to fit into one post. You need to do a lot of research so that you have fewer surprises once you have the procedure...

I think going for around 3000 would be the safer option...
    Thanks for the advice, 3000 is another number into the mix!

With regard to FUT v FUE, I'm leaning toward FUT but am a bit worried that the scar will restrict me from keeping my hair short (which I prefer), but that's a decision I'll come around to eventually. I see that FUE scars can also be visible through very short hair anyway.

It's interesting that the graft numbers change with every person that sees the photos, it's clearly not an exact science but I'm getting multiple opinions which is great.

Well, I should clarify my observations. Physically, your characteristics tell me that you could probably get 5500 grafts in one strip. The density looks that good and I can actually see that your donor scalp has high laxity. However, my point is that just because you can does not mean you should. 3000 grafts is a safer number because it will make a massive positive change for you without risking the majority of your donor hair. It will also reduce the chance of a wider donor scar.

Regardless, I should back up and ask your age and if you are taking preventative medications. Propecia? Rogaine? Both?
    Joe Tillman
    The original Hair Transplant Mentor

Interested to know which doctors I recommend?
    See the full list at HairTransplantMentor.com/hair-transplant-doctors

Joe is certainly the man to listen to on this subject, if he says 3000, you can bet that would be a solid number to go by.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeTillman View Post
    Well, I should clarify my observations. Physically, your characteristics tell me that you could probably get 5500 grafts in one strip. The density looks that good and I can actually see that your donor scalp has high laxity. However, my point is that just because you can does not mean you should. 3000 grafts is a safer number because it will make a massive positive change for you without risking the majority of your donor hair. It will also reduce the chance of a wider donor scar.

Regardless, I should back up and ask your age and if you are taking preventative medications. Propecia? Rogaine? Both?
    Ok that's worth considering, thanks.

I'm 35 and haven't ever taken any medication for hairloss.

Quote Originally Posted by Notgivingup2 View Post
    Joe is certainly the man to listen to on this subject, if he says 3000, you can bet that would be a solid number to go by.
    Noted, thanks very much