+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JoeTillman View Post
    When I was a consultant working for one clinic I would see photos like yours and salivate. If you are considering FUSS you are an IDEAL candidate. Why? Because I can see that your donor density is high, maybe even above average, and you have a low contrast between your hair color and your scalp color. Low contrast means stronger illusion of density.

So the question becomes, are you looking at FUE or FUSS? Both are great procedures but you have to understand the limitations of both and that is something that is not going to fit into one post. You need to do a lot of research so that you have fewer surprises once you have the procedure.

My preference, coming from a background of mega-sessions, is that when you get into the realm of 4000 or more grafts you're taking an unnecessary risk. This is because this is going to be 50% of your total donor reserves (depending on procedure) and if it doesn't work out then you will turn into one of those guys that we see every day looking for repair work.

I think going for around 3000 would be the safer option. You have less tension on the donor wound if you opt for FUSS and you aren't depleting your donor density if you opt for FUE. If you do decide on FUE then make sure the clinic you are considering takes from the widest extraction pattern possible in order to minimize the cosmetic impact from the 1/1/1 ratio of donor extraction. This ratio means that for every one follicular unit that is removed there is an equal reduction in density and an equal increase in scarring.

I could go on, as there is so much to understand, but you've started out right by using IAHRS doctors. It's a good starting point.

I'll leave you with this video to watch and consider...

nice video.. helpful

Quote Originally Posted by HLab View Post
    Ok that's worth considering, thanks.

I'm 35 and haven't ever taken any medication for hairloss.
    In that case, it is good that you're not a 22 year old kid but it's bad that you're not doing anything to prevent your existing loss. So, if you have a surgery, what will you do when, not if, you lose more hair? Are you financially stable enough to have a second or third hair transplant? Are you prepared to deal with the potential of having a bald crown should you not be financially able to afford more surgery? I see the evidence in your crown now, it's starting to miniaturize. It is only a matter of time until the crown is a wasteland of straggling, miniaturized hairs gasping for breath in the desert of your scalp. I know, dramatic, yes but necessary to get my point across.

Talk to your doctor about Propecia or Proscar and try that for a year. While you're trying it continue your research.
    Joe Tillman
    The original Hair Transplant Mentor

Interested to know which doctors I recommend?
    See the full list at HairTransplantMentor.com/hair-transplant-doctors

In that case, it is good that you're not a 22 year old kid but it's bad that you're not doing anything to prevent your existing loss. So, if you have a surgery, what will you do when, not if, you lose more hair? Are you financially stable enough to have a second or third hair transplant? Are you prepared to deal with the potential of having a bald crown should you not be financially able to afford more surgery? I see the evidence in your crown now, it's starting to miniaturize. It is only a matter of time until the crown is a wasteland of straggling, miniaturized hairs gasping for breath in the desert of your scalp. I know, dramatic, yes but necessary to get my point across.

Talk to your doctor about Propecia or Proscar and try that for a year. While you're trying it continue your research.
    I have considered Finasteride and Minoxidil but I'm concerned about side effects and I also have extremely sensitive skin (eczema) which reacts badly to most chemicals. I don't even shower with soap, just hot water because of that. I guess I could speak to the doctor and see but I have my reservations.

I do have enough money for more procedures, although I don't want to be going under the knife every year. I'll speak to my doctor.

I have considered Finasteride and Minoxidil but I'm concerned about side effects and I also have extremely sensitive skin (eczema) which reacts badly to most chemicals. I don't even shower with soap, just hot water because of that. I guess I could speak to the doctor and see but I have my reservations.

I do have enough money for more procedures, although I don't want to be going under the knife every year. I'll speak to my doctor.
    You should at least consider every option and make decisions based on facts, not rumor and hearsay. I say this because even if you have enough money you can't assume the best for every contingency. If you don't take medication, you will lose more hair. Period. With that out of the way you might also lose your money and not be able to afford more surgery. You may also have a result that is unnatural or does not grow so that money would be needed to get repair surgery instead of additional coverage and then your rainy day funds for more work starts to dry up, as well does your donor hair. My point is, ultimately, this is an unpredictable situation you are in and too many times people assume the best and do not think about the worst. I think one should hope for the best but prepare for the worst and nothing could be more true than for surgical hair restoration.
    Joe Tillman

You should at least consider every option and make decisions based on facts, not rumor and hearsay. I say this because even if you have enough money you can't assume the best for every contingency. If you don't take medication, you will lose more hair. Period. With that out of the way you might also lose your money and not be able to afford more surgery. You may also have a result that is unnatural or does not grow so that money would be needed to get repair surgery instead of additional coverage and then your rainy day funds for more work starts to dry up, as well does your donor hair. My point is, ultimately, this is an unpredictable situation you are in and too many times people assume the best and do not think about the worst. I think one should hope for the best but prepare for the worst and nothing could be more true than for surgical hair restoration.
    Completely understand your points there. I'll speak to my doc but it's unlikely I'd go for anything topical and I really can't be bothered dealing with erectile dysfunction, etc (if it turns out that I'm one of the unfortunate few that reacts that way to propecia). It's all a bit too well documented for me to dismiss as rumours and hearsay but I do appreciate it doesn't affect most people that way. The fact is that for me, regaining my hair is very much a secondary issue compared to my actual health and well being and the idea of messing with my DHT levels worries me when I look at the potential problems it could cause.

Taking some excellent tips from your posts, thanks for the help. Feel free to keep it coming if you feel there's anything else I should be looking at, I'm open to all suggestions

A lot of it is hearsay and rumor. I know some have problems, and I'll never say otherwise, but the reports are not as numerous as some would have you believe. Regardless, if you can accept yourself as your are and don't want to take unnecessary risks, then don't have a hair transplant. You'll save a lot of money, stress and your routine will be free of having to worry about medications and/or if your transplant will last.
    Joe Tillman

Useful advice, thanks very much
    No problem-- and to echo what some others have said, I think you're a great candidate for a transplant.

You have the right coloring to create the all important illusion of density and your balding pattern is completely established-- you're frontal third will be rebuilt so there's no need to worry about future loss in this area (meaning you won't be losing original hair around the transplanted hair and end up chasing a hairline).

I have blond hair and fair skin and although I had a strip procedure, I can't find my scar. It was a very thin red line at the start, but over the last 4 years it has faded to nothing. I had a Trichophytic Closure.

I had average scalp laxity, and still do. I experienced no tightness or pulling after my transplant. I had initial scalp numbness but nothing major-- it resolved in a matter of a few months.

Growth was pretty rapid. I started growing at 3 months. by 4 and half months I had a pretty good thatch of hair up front. It grew in nice and filled out and I couldn't be happier. (well, I still have a bald spot on the crown, but hey, that's life

Dr. Ron Shapiro was my Doc. Great guy, one of the best. Excellent staff.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hair Transplant.jpg

Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	48893  

Quote Originally Posted by hal View Post
    No problem-- and to echo what some others have said, I think you're a great candidate for a transplant.

You have the right coloring to create the all important illusion of density and your balding pattern is completely established-- you're frontal third will be rebuilt so there's no need to worry about future loss in this area (meaning you won't be losing original hair around the transplanted hair and end up chasing a hairline).
    Thanks for the comment. Well it's nice to hear it may work well for me then! Still trying to figure out a reasonable graft number but hopefully will get to the bottom of that soon.

Your results are great, the scar is the main concern for me but I guess it's all part and parcel of the procedure.

I'll try to get a picture up of what it looks like now over the weekend.

I have been very happy with my results-- as I mentioned it started coming in around 3 months-- wispy at first and then poof! six weeks later it had all filled in. It was still short of course but I could see it was going to be a success.

You want to know what's funny? even now when I get out of the shower and towel dry my hair and then look in the mirror I sometimes do a double take-- I can't believe the guy in the mirror is me.

Please whatever you do research the heck out of your doc. If you're going to fly half way around the world, don't go cheap. I know this sounds a little off, but the best transplant docs are in the U.S.--or at least in North America. I truly believe that.

Hal

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon WHTC Clinic's Avatar

Did you have any scalp analysis or donor area check for density?
    Click here for a free hair loss recommendation from Dr. Patrick Mwamba

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC clinic.

Consultations with Dr. Patrick Mwamba
    London, UK - Available (Sat.)
    Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Sat.)
    Bologna, Italy - Available (Sat.)
    Brussels, Belgium - Available (Mon. - Sun.)

Follow us: Facebook - Youtube - Pinterest

Email
    customer.care@mywhtc.com
    Telephone
    +32 479-75-3281 (Belgium)
    +44-203-318-6228 (UK)
    les meilleures solutions chirurgicales pour la perte de cheveux