+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default 21 and going bald

Well I just turned 21 in march, but I can safely say I have been losing my hair since I was 20. I want to get a HT, but I'm new to all of this and don't know of any doctors. My hair is pretty long so you can't really see how thin it is, but my receiving hairline is horrible. Any information would be nice. I was also thinking about shaving it completely and starting rogaine?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	hair 003.jpg

Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	4435   Click image for larger version

Name:	hair 004.jpg

Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	4436  

see a doctor

get on rogaine + propecia

Don't get a hairtransplant untill your older. once your cut your cut etc

Okay, these are the four steps I recommend you take:

1) Go to a doctor and get a precription for Propecia. If they won't give you a prescription, buy it from Inhouse Pharmacy on the internet. Take the recommended dosage daily. Avoid missing doses.

Take this for one year. If you are disatisfied with the results, take Avodart instead.

Do not worry about the side effects. Most people don't get them. A lot of the reported side effects have more to do with the subject's age rather than taking the drug.

2) Purchase the strongest minoxidil you can find and apply twice daily.

3) Wash your hair with Nizoral. You can use Revivogen if you prefer, but Nizoral is a shampoo which many think should be FDA approved for hair loss. Some experts in hair loss do recommend it, it would be interesting to hear what some of the doctor's on the site think.

Avoid shampoos with Sodium Laurel Sulphate at all costs.

4) Blank out all suggestions to shave your head and get on with your life. People saying these things are not acting in your best interests. One day hair loss treatments will be available but may only be effective for those who have preserved what they can of their hair.

Thanks, I was just a little worried about the side effects of it though, what about adovart, does it have less side effects? The only reason I was thinking of shaving it well buzzing it was to take the rogaine foam because I know that you shed pretty bad on it so I thought it would look better if I atleast had really short hair then long

Avodart has more severe side effects and isn't FDA approved for hair loss. Personally, I just think it's stronger and it gets the job done (as well as any drug can anyway).

Don't expect miracles from anything available though. For most people, the most they can hope for is maintenance. Regrowth of lost hair is far less common (though age is on your side in that respect).

Just take propecia at first, 1mg finasteride.

IMO don't take the strongest minoxidil until you have tried 5% and it hasn't worked.

I'd say go straight to strength. It's easier to preserve what you have, and if you use something too weak you'll make the job later a lot harder. Believe me, I know.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Fixed by 35 View Post
    I'd say go straight to strength. It's easier to preserve what you have, and if you use something too weak you'll make the job later a lot harder. Believe me, I know.
    Fixed by 35 you are providing extremely irresponsible advice! The key is to start with the lowest possible dosage of any medication and only increase the dosage if or when you need to. More is not necessarily better in every scenario and in fact can impair progress in some cases. Revivogen will have no benefit in the treatment of hair loss .

I'm allowed to be irresponsible, I'm not a doctor! Of course, I should clarify, I'm from the 'Fight Hairloss to the Death' School, so I take much bigger risks than others might.

It sucks going bald at 21. I'm 23 and know exactly what you're going through (since 17). I kept my hair long for all of my childhood which complimented my surfer and "rebellious" lifestyle. After years of hapless worrying about my condition, I finally decided to accept what I could not control. I still keep it longer and have decent coverage but accept that it's a losing battle (if there were viable treatments, there would be no bald men). Rogaine only amplified my bald spots and propecia was never an option (it turns men into eunichs)

All I have to say is that you must see the world from your own perspective and realize that everyone is different. No one is safe from imperfections and it seems to become clearer as I mature. Everyone has their problems and it's silly to see so many grown men fret about these problems relating to vanity. We have become such an image obsessed culture that people think that how you look is how you are. It's great to have conversations with people and blow their minds when I talk in depth about politics and business (looking like a stoned surfer). It's crazy to see how prejudice everyone is about how you look, but change that when they discover how you are.

Of course the men on here who worry about being bald won't be the ones who own their look and become successful in spite of their shortcomings (only the strong will'd people do). I highly respect the "f it" attitude held by most men who face balding. I'd rather be a human who accepts his fate in this ONE CHANCE of life we have than someone who pathetically tries to cheat fate. Once you see the truth (and it's not easy to come to terms with) you will find that hair, vanity, image, and worshipping youth isn't what makes a person successful or happy.