+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
    Lol real popcorn thread! =)))))

Although, there are some issues in play that aren't laughing matters. I do sympathize with Fixed and Keep. Hair loss sucks.

As far as I've read, Fixed only expressed his own views and feelings on his predicament. He is certainly entitled to his opinions, no matter how extreme they are. What he feels is reality for him, and no less valid than what anyone else feels. Although his chosen treatments might be a bit extreme for most, he is certainly entitled to treat his affliction in the manner he chooses to. As far as his advice being extreme, I would like to believe that we all are intelligent enough to choose for ourselves, what is right.

Moreover, I really don't think there's a need to call neither Keep nor Fixed, sad or a losers just because their opinions don't coincide with yours. Before labeling someone a loser, perhaps a paragraph with correct grammar and syntax, without run on sentences, lack of punctuation and capitalization, and knowing the difference between your and you're, there, their and they're is in order.

Having said that, Fixed's sweeping statements on the downside of being a bald man, are not entirely true, although in many cases they are. Plenty of bald men, even outside sports, have reached positions of prominence and power. Yul Brynner, Telly Savalas, Ben Kingsley were/is bald, and yet achieved great success as actors. Bruce Willis, old and bald as he is, is considered a sex symbol, and has proven to have more staying power as an A lister, than most actors with hair. Last time I checked, Steve Jobs is pretty bald, and despite that, one of the most influential CEOs of our time. MJ is bald and CEO of the Bobcats. Phill Jackson (I bleed purple and gold) has more rings (11, God willing 12 by the end of the playoffs) than any other lion maned coach or player in the NBA. Jesse Ventura is bald and also a former pro wrestler and governor of Minnesota. James Carville, a perennial political commentator and advisor to presidents, is extermely bald yet prominent. Ike, although our last one, is one of five bald U.S presidents. Who is more powerful than the commander in chief?

As for me, I'm just starting to thin out, (if curious check out my pics on the thread "40 and developing a bald spot") but I'm willing to go to great lengths in order to keep my hair. For anyone that's willing to sack up and shave it, more power to you. It's just not what I choose.

Cheers,............
    I think it's fair to say that I have been 'told' there, apologies for the poor grammar and punctuation. I could actually see the humorous side in there posts, but being only 19 and going bald very quickly myself his 'views' just began to irritate me. I don't take them seriously but some of the stuff in this thread could leave other young balding male visitors absolutely devastated, everyone's entitled to there opinions though so I apologise for the attack, and as it's been said both fixed and keepthehair are clearly intelligent blokes so I am probably being ignorant.

For the record, I am having a hard time dealing with hair loss myself, I tried generic finasteride and suffered sexual side effects throughout the whole of the 5 months that I used it for, I believe that I am only just getting back to normal a month after quitting. So my weapons for staving off the loss for as long as possible are just Rogaine foam and Nizoral shampoo. I shave my head to the bone occasionally but usually do a 0.5. While I can understand a dislike for a totally shaven head, making a big deal of a grade 1-4 is very vein indeed, many guys look better with a shaven head than with long hair.

Out of interest fixed, when did hair loss really hit home with you? I ask because you have managed to get an undergraduate degree and gain good employment. Were you fighting extensive hair loss when you were at university? I have some offers from excellent universities next year and I must admit, hair loss is leaving me doubtful about what should be one of the best 'phases' of my life.

This was me last year:

Now:

I began losing hair at 20, and dropped out of university and finished via distance learning as a result. I never went to the graduation to avoid having a photo taken.

My career has steadily declined as my hair loss has worsened.

Quote Originally Posted by Fixed by 35 View Post
    I began losing hair at 20, and dropped out of university and finished via distance learning as a result. I never went to the graduation to avoid having a photo taken.

My career has steadily declined as my hair loss has worsened.
    I can understand how it hit you this hard, my mums boyfriend had a bad time of it when he was younger. NOT the route I want to take.
    Fixed by 35, you seem very honest, give me the brutal truth about my shaven head, above ^^

Thumbs up

I can’t see your whole face, but from the picture you look very good with a shaved head! It really suits you.

Brutal truth? You look no better or worse without hair; you're very lucky as you clearly have the head for it. That said, in business, the head with hair would get you a lot further than the head without, at least in my opinion.

I think one of the problems for me and a lot of guys out there is that we don't have your skin tone, which makes a big difference. It works on a scale. When a black guy shaves his head, it's barely noticeable (unless he had an enormous afro of course). When men of Asian descent shave their heads, it looks good. Even when a white guy with a reasonably dark skin tone shaves their head, it's still okay. But when you live in the UK, have a pinky coloured head and you're pale skinned, it looks absolutely terrible! Honestly, only the Scandinavians have more to fear than us!

I personally think the without hair probably fits you "ok".

But sorry to say you definitely look a LOT better with the hair. I am just being honest.

Maybe. A good way to deal with hair loss is apparently to leave town. It's better dealing with people who didn't know what you looked like with hair, as they have no comparatives with you in the past. They're also extremely unlikely to make light of your baldness, because they aren't sure how you'd react.

Talking of reactions, it's always good to have a person's most embarrassing trait in your arsenal. If they mock you, you give them hell. If someone's fat and making fun of your baldness, ask them if they have to walk through doors sideways. If they are short, ask them if they were a munchkin in the Wizard of Oz. If they didn't go to a very good school or did a useless degree, ask them what stopped them from getting proper qualifications. Believe me, it works wonders for confidence and gets a lot of people off your back.

Yeah...I have thought about that...

There was one day where I thought of doing the opposite... I dunno...

Like someone says, wow you hair sucks and you just say, "Yeah I know man. Your hair looks pretty good still. Lucky you man."

I've never tried it... because I simply have a sensitive ego and if someone mocks me id mock them right back because like anyone else I also don't like it when people think they are better than me.

But I wonder if being positive like that isn't the better route though. The negative stuff just goes on and on forever.

Believe me, if you try to be positive, you end up opening yourself up to ridicule. Do you really want to crack bald jokes at your own expense for the rest of your life?

You'll also develop an inferiority complex over time as you keep allowing people with hair to put you down in a 'friendly' way. You will basically be allowing these people free reign to feel superior to you.

The best way to deal with people is on a level. Don't become the butt of all the jokes because it's 'positive.' If they want to joke about your baldness, then they're effectively giving you permission to highlight their frailties. If they're not, then there's something wrong with their sense of humour. Remember, either it's all okay, or none of it is okay. Nobody should believe they are above ridicule, regardless of what is wrong with them (you might remember I called a disabled person a 'retarded dwarf' in return for him calling me 'baldy.' Remember, it's either all okay, or none of it is).

What would you rather do. Sit in a room with your friends being called chrome dome, slap head, baldy etc etc, or for the conversation to be a two way street? How would you have behaved before baldness?

Seriously, don't let yourself become the comic relief and don't spare anyone.

Here's an example of how extreme you can let it go. If you are being mocked by a man who has a full head of hair but also a special needs child, you can look him in the eye and say 'at least my dad's crappy genes only made me bald, your third class spunk nearly kills your child every day.' Believe me, they deserve it.

I agree.

To me baldness is one of the worst things that could happen to me. One of the WORST.

That is why when someone jokes about it he better be ready for it. EVERYONE has something you can mock them about.

I think I missed the dwarf joke but it is pretty funny lol....... I am gonna try to find it now.

Thanks for the advice. But it is all hugely complex and hair loss is pissing me off lately more than ever.