+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Exclamation Should I shave - need truth

Hello to you all, my name is Radu, I am 30 and fighting baldness since 20 (when i first realized what's going on)
    From 22 to 23 i took Propecia, it had great effects on my hair, but also "great" side-effects on my erections, and when I say great, I am not kidding. I am still recovering from the side-effects, but I am not here to talk about that.
    Used some Minox for one year, had some effects, then I have quit (I really can't understand why)...started back again, now it got pointless.
    From 24 I have started using Nanogen Fibres. In the beginning very little, just to give it a little fullness, slowly I have started to add more and more. At some point I have gave up trying to "rebuild" my hairline, and started leaving about one finger and a half empty and starting from there. These Nanofibres got me lasting through my twenties, but were also a nightmare for me. I am constantly thinking, does it show, will it rain, can people notice, no I can't come to the pool....I missed a lot of social stuff because of it. I wash my hair daily and apply, and some days I just wear a cap, when I know there is no chance I have to take it off.
    I don't think a transplant is an option for me, because I am diffuse thinner, nor do I have the money for it, and I don't see the point to start minox again after so many start-quits. I am now at a point where I use very much fibres, almose my entire front hair is made up of them, I think it looks awful. I hate myself for not having the courage to just shave my head, but I think (for my skull shape) it will look even more awful, but i don't know what is worse, looking bad head-shaved or looking silly with you entire hair made of light-brown dust.
    I am a master in applying the fibres, but they just don't have anything to cling on anymore. I haven't cut my hair in the upper area for almost an year (because last time I did it you could clearly see I am balding) I just cut it in sides and back, and relly on some length on the upper area for some coverage.
    I am adding some photos, please guys, tell me what do you think, should I just give up and shave? This situation is driving me crazy. I was thinking to wait until next summer (although i sweared to myself...this one will be it) but I don't know if I can keep the illusion until then.
    Please answer and tell me what you think...
    P.S. sorry for mistakes...english is not my native language

photo 1,2 - without fibres
    photo 3 - just took it, with medium appliance and what's left after a busy day
    photo 4,5,6- heavy appliance of fibres

Click image for larger version

Name:	without fibres.jpg

Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	48773Click image for larger version

Name:	CYMERA_20160713_163658.jpg

Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	48774Click image for larger version

Name:	CYMERA_20160928_214727.jpg

Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	48775Click image for larger version

Name:	CYMERA_20160820_175108.jpg

Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	48776Click image for larger version

Name:	CYMERA_20160820_175131.jpg

Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	48777Click image for larger version

Name:	CYMERA_20160820_175150.jpg

Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	48778

With your beard and facial structure, you'd look BETTER with a shaved head. Not everyone can get away with it, but it looks like you can pull off the rugged look. And always helps to get into killer shape too, so make use of that gym membership. Just my two cents.

rbkoreaus .... thank you for your reply and encouragement. Me on the other hand, i have the feeling I would not look good at all and think my skull looks strange - to small, flat at the back and in the front no forehead line...in two words, egg shaped ..... but really thanks for your reply and encouragement that it would look BETTER than.....this!

rreidu, keep in mind that we are our own biggest critic. You are used to seeing yourself with hair most of your life, whereas I am looking at you with no preconceived notion about you at all outside of the pics you posted. Your head looks like normal shape, and think you may be overanalyzing it just a bit. Keeping the beard, shaving the head, and putting in the gym hours are the way to go for you in my opinion. But the only opinion that matters is yours.

Why does being a diffuse thinner mean you can't transplant? Is your donor thinning?

No, my donor is not thinning at all, but....being a diffuse thinner has the following main disadvantage when dealing with transplants: a lot of your remaining hair suffers from shock (when transplanting), and most of it falls of, leaving you mostly with the new transplanted hair, that is not to be desired...... some docs did wonders but you must have a huge number of grafts. Anyway I can't afford one so it's not really an option for me....plus what will I do when the rest of the hair (besides my transplanted hairline) keeps falling of?
    I see some guys who are reeceding in the front and the rest of their hair is intact...that's the best scenario in my opinion, for me....from the begining the whole balding area contoured and started thinning all at once but it seems now my hairline is dying faster

Go for it
    Great head shape
    If you the opportunity to take a week vacation , then buzz it .
    It will be very liberating

Quote Originally Posted by rreidu View Post
    No, my donor is not thinning at all, but....being a diffuse thinner has the following main disadvantage when dealing with transplants: a lot of your remaining hair suffers from shock (when transplanting), and most of it falls of, leaving you mostly with the new transplanted hair, that is not to be desired...... some docs did wonders but you must have a huge number of grafts. Anyway I can't afford one so it's not really an option for me....plus what will I do when the rest of the hair (besides my transplanted hairline) keeps falling of?
    I see some guys who are reeceding in the front and the rest of their hair is intact...that's the best scenario in my opinion, for me....from the begining the whole balding area contoured and started thinning all at once but it seems now my hairline is dying faster
    Is shock loss actually an issue when someone has already lost as much hair as he has though...

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE52 View Post
    Go for it
    Great head shape
    If you the opportunity to take a week vacation , then buzz it .
    It will be very liberating
    I am sure it will be very liberating....I just can't summon the courage for the irreversible change.
    Thank you for your reply and encouragement!

Quote Originally Posted by allTheGoodNamesAreTaken View Post
    Is shock loss actually an issue when someone has already lost as much hair as he has though...
    Come to think about it....once you have lost as much hair as I did....shock loss isn't actually an issue anymore....you are right....BUT....one you have lost as much hair as I did....would a transplant be efficient? I mean what results could I hope for, how many grafts should be transplanted to get coverage through all the balding area? Would that be possible?
    And....I keep thinking that with transplants....once you do it, (no matter FUT or FUE) the buz cut/shaved look is no longer an option because of scaring. Right? So after all natural hair is gone, and you are left only with the transplanted one....what then?