Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rreidu
    • Sep 2016

Should I shave - need truth

Hello to you all, my name is Radu, I am 30 and fighting baldness since 20 (when i first realized what's going on)
    From 22 to 23 i took Propecia, it had great effects on my hair, but also "great" side-effects on my erections, and when I say great, I am not kidding. I am still recovering from the side-effects, but I am not here to talk about that.
    Used some Minox for one year, had some effects, then I have quit (I really can't understand why)...started back again, now it got pointless.
    From 24 I have started using Nanogen Fibres. In the beginning very little, just to give it a little fullness, slowly I have started to add more and more. At some point I have gave up trying to "rebuild" my hairline, and started leaving about one finger and a half empty and starting from there. These Nanofibres got me lasting through my twenties, but were also a nightmare for me. I am constantly thinking, does it show, will it rain, can people notice, no I can't come to the pool....I missed a lot of social stuff because of it. I wash my hair daily and apply, and some days I just wear a cap, when I know there is no chance I have to take it off.
    I don't think a transplant is an option for me, because I am diffuse thinner, nor do I have the money for it, and I don't see the point to start minox again after so many start-quits. I am now at a point where I use very much fibres, almose my entire front hair is made up of them, I think it looks awful. I hate myself for not having the courage to just shave my head, but I think (for my skull shape) it will look even more awful, but i don't know what is worse, looking bad head-shaved or looking silly with you entire hair made of light-brown dust.
    I am a master in applying the fibres, but they just don't have anything to cling on anymore. I haven't cut my hair in the upper area for almost an year (because last time I did it you could clearly see I am balding) I just cut it in sides and back, and relly on some length on the upper area for some coverage.
    I am adding some photos, please guys, tell me what do you think, should I just give up and shave? This situation is driving me crazy. I was thinking to wait until next summer (although i sweared to myself...this one will be it) but I don't know if I can keep the illusion until then.
    Please answer and tell me what you think...
    P.S. sorry for mistakes...english is not my native language

photo 1,2 - without fibres
    photo 3 - just took it, with medium appliance and what's left after a busy day
    photo 4,5,6- heavy appliance of fibres

Click image for larger version

Name:	without fibres.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	479502Click image for larger version

Name:	CYMERA_20160713_163658.jpg
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	479503Click image for larger version

Name:	CYMERA_20160928_214727.jpg
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	479504Click image for larger version

Name:	CYMERA_20160820_175108.jpg
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	479505Click image for larger version

Name:	CYMERA_20160820_175131.jpg
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	479506Click image for larger version

Name:	CYMERA_20160820_175150.jpg
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	479507
  • rbkoreaus
    • Sep 2016

With your beard and facial structure, you'd look BETTER with a shaved head. Not everyone can get away with it, but it looks like you can pull off the rugged look. And always helps to get into killer shape too, so make use of that gym membership. Just my two cents.

Comment

• rreidu
      • Sep 2016

rbkoreaus .... thank you for your reply and encouragement. Me on the other hand, i have the feeling I would not look good at all and think my skull looks strange - to small, flat at the back and in the front no forehead line...in two words, egg shaped ..... but really thanks for your reply and encouragement that it would look BETTER than.....this!

Comment

• rbkoreaus
        • Sep 2016

rreidu, keep in mind that we are our own biggest critic. You are used to seeing yourself with hair most of your life, whereas I am looking at you with no preconceived notion about you at all outside of the pics you posted. Your head looks like normal shape, and think you may be overanalyzing it just a bit. Keeping the beard, shaving the head, and putting in the gym hours are the way to go for you in my opinion. But the only opinion that matters is yours.

Comment

• hanginginthewire
          • Nov 2015

Why does being a diffuse thinner mean you can't transplant? Is your donor thinning?

Comment

• rreidu
            • Sep 2016

No, my donor is not thinning at all, but....being a diffuse thinner has the following main disadvantage when dealing with transplants: a lot of your remaining hair suffers from shock (when transplanting), and most of it falls of, leaving you mostly with the new transplanted hair, that is not to be desired...... some docs did wonders but you must have a huge number of grafts. Anyway I can't afford one so it's not really an option for me....plus what will I do when the rest of the hair (besides my transplanted hairline) keeps falling of?
            I see some guys who are reeceding in the front and the rest of their hair is intact...that's the best scenario in my opinion, for me....from the begining the whole balding area contoured and started thinning all at once but it seems now my hairline is dying faster

Comment

• DAVE52
              • Sep 2010

Go for it
              Great head shape
              If you the opportunity to take a week vacation , then buzz it .
              It will be very liberating

Comment

• allTheGoodNamesAreTaken
                • Aug 2015

Originally posted by rreidu
                No, my donor is not thinning at all, but....being a diffuse thinner has the following main disadvantage when dealing with transplants: a lot of your remaining hair suffers from shock (when transplanting), and most of it falls of, leaving you mostly with the new transplanted hair, that is not to be desired...... some docs did wonders but you must have a huge number of grafts. Anyway I can't afford one so it's not really an option for me....plus what will I do when the rest of the hair (besides my transplanted hairline) keeps falling of?
                I see some guys who are reeceding in the front and the rest of their hair is intact...that's the best scenario in my opinion, for me....from the begining the whole balding area contoured and started thinning all at once but it seems now my hairline is dying faster
                Is shock loss actually an issue when someone has already lost as much hair as he has though...

Comment

• rreidu
                  • Sep 2016

Originally posted by DAVE52
                  Go for it
                  Great head shape
                  If you the opportunity to take a week vacation , then buzz it .
                  It will be very liberating
                  I am sure it will be very liberating....I just can't summon the courage for the irreversible change.
                  Thank you for your reply and encouragement!

Comment

• rreidu
                    • Sep 2016

Originally posted by allTheGoodNamesAreTaken
                    Is shock loss actually an issue when someone has already lost as much hair as he has though...
                    Come to think about it....once you have lost as much hair as I did....shock loss isn't actually an issue anymore....you are right....BUT....one you have lost as much hair as I did....would a transplant be efficient? I mean what results could I hope for, how many grafts should be transplanted to get coverage through all the balding area? Would that be possible?
                    And....I keep thinking that with transplants....once you do it, (no matter FUT or FUE) the buz cut/shaved look is no longer an option because of scaring. Right? So after all natural hair is gone, and you are left only with the transplanted one....what then?

Comment

• DAVE52
                      • Sep 2010

Originally posted by rreidu
                      I am sure it will be very liberating....I just can't summon the courage for the irreversible change.
                      Thank you for your reply and encouragement!
                      Not trying to be rude but it appears from Pic 1 and 2 , that you have quite a bit of loss on the top. You don't have to go slick bald just a buzz cut which would neaten the top, sides and back .

Comment

• rreidu
                        • Sep 2016

Dear Dave52, there is absolutely no rudnes, indeed my hairlos is massive, and it seems it is faster and faster. I have lost a lot of hair in this summer. Does a buzz cut really neatens the top sides and back, cause I think it clearly shows that you are balding, clearly highliting the normal hair area vs balding area...

Comment

• UK_
                          • Feb 2011

My advice? Shave it - forget it and never think about it again.

Good luck.

Comment

• Parker317
                            • Aug 2016

Hey man, I feel your pain. I'm 27 and am in the same exact situation... Went from a few fibers to fill in to now needing a ton of the stuff to look half decent.
                            I just started fin 6 weeks ago so I'm praying it does something.. I don't mind going bald, but would prefer to wait until at least after I get married or am 30.

I personally think you could hold on to your hair a bit longer.. Start up fin and minox if you really want to try and save it. Maybe clean up your diet and hit the gym 3-4x a week... It's a long shot, but you've got enough left to salvage it.
                            My one piece of advice is to definitely cut the sides much shorter. When they're long, they accentuate the thinning crown. Keep messing with different hair styles..Your 1&2 is combed backwards and definitely doesn't help.

If you do bite the bullet and just buzz it, let us know. I just don't personally have the balls, yet. Because of the fibers, it creates an illusion that you have hair, so when if you shave it people would be somewhat confused.
                            But if you did it, I bet you'd feel so free. It would shock everyone for about a week or so, but everyone gets used to it and eventually it will become old news.
                            Best of luck to you, man.

Comment

• rreidu
                              • Sep 2016

Originally posted by UK_
                              My advice? Shave it - forget it and never think about it again.

Good luck.
                              Thanks man!

Comment

Working...