+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Should I be taking Biotin? At what dosage?

For a little over a month now, I've been taking Biotin (2,500 mcg). I've also been using Minoxidil for about a week now. Yesterday, I bought another bottle but this time at 5,000 mcg.

I have receded temples and a slightly receded hairline. Is Biotin something that is recommended to take for hair loss? Should I be taking it? Is it something that I would have to take each day for the rest of my life? What dosage should I be buying? Is 5,000 mcg too much?

Thanks.

Inactive

Honestly, this depends on your beliefs regarding vitamins and all natural supplements. There are many doctors who stand beside the belief that for the most part, vitamins and supplements aren't successful in combatting hair loss, and in many ways, they're right. I take vitamins and supplements personally, but I understand that they're not necessarily scientifically proven to be effective in terms of fighting Male Pattern Baldness. The only medication clinically proven to slow down MPB is Finasteride, so aside from that, you're gonna get mixed responses.

That being said, vitamins and supplements can indeed play a role in your overall health and the health of your hair, skin, nails, etc. They can make the hair you have healthier, shinier, thicker, etc. and can increase the quality of your scalp, which in turn can help slow down standard hair fall. These are just some examples of benefits of vitamins and supplements.

I guess that's a roundabout way of saying that there's no harm in taking them, they do provide some benefits, but don't rely on them to make a huge impact on your hair where Male Pattern Baldness is concerned. That's a whole other beast in its own right, and Finasteride is going to be your best bet when it comes to a medication that will help slow it down.

10.000 / daily

biotin is never too much.

it s how i take it for 3 months already

Chicago,Il. (the best city in the United States)

Hello Throwaway1234!

You joined this GREAT forum, BTT, this past September.
    You are at the right place for any type of help needed!

Biotin is a vitamin of the B complex. It has a long history for helping men and women.
    I take one Biotin along with one Finasteride every day.
    I also use Minoxidil too (I started Minoxidil last year on November 2015).
    How is your hair Throwaway1234?
    It would be GOOD for you to show 'us' photos of your scalp so that we can know a bit more.
    No need to show your face my friend.

How to hear from you.

Took liquid Biotin to regrow my hairline. As for my own experience, it was a complete waste of money.

Grew nothing back. Hate to say it, but people should not rely on vitamins alone for hair treatment.

Scientific treatments that are known to work is our best ally in the fight against hair loss. That's it.

Let me also add this. The same pharmacy that makes my Minoxidil thirty percent/Progestone
    topical compound made that for me. So these were skilled pharmacists, who know what they're
    doing. Not amateurs. Guess what, liquid Biotin did nothing for my hair.

It was compounded with vitamin E as well.

However, the Progesterone and Minoxidil, liquid Finasteride, and hydrocortisone are growing my hair back. I have photos for proof. The Progesterone is definitely doing the most work.

And my libido is still strong. No side effects at all. I'm not a young guy either.

Wow, I never knew about liquid Biotin!
    Ill research it and get back to you on this K9gatton.
    Have a good day K9' and Throw' ! (and everybody else!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Artista View Post
    Wow, I never knew about liquid Biotin!
    Ill research it and get back to you on this K9gatton.
    Have a good day K9' and Throw' ! (and everybody else!!)
    Thanks. You to. It's made by Murray Avenue Acotherapy (Pharmacy, but not in name). They sell it without a script.

That's where I get my topical medication from. I get liquid Finasteride, Progesterone, Minoxidil, and hydrocortisone in one. My medication is doctor prescribed.

You don't need a script for liquid Biotin though. As for my own experience, it did nothing for my hairline. Nothing. The Progesterone is growing in my vertex (mainly). But I have terminal hair (twenty, but whose counting?) on my temple. My temple is very receded. I'm a Norwood 3v. However, I was between a Norwood four and five in 2013.

For those who have been on antidepressants, biotin depletion (antidepressants do that) might be a cause of hairloss. I`ve been on them and regrew lots of hair with biotin, afterwards.

Vitamin E is also a good way to grow hair, but you must know what type of vitamin e to take

Regarding finasteride : took 5 pills in 2010 and went in full blown depression only from 5 pills, also anxiety and loss of libido. Never will touch that poison again. Minoxidil also caused tons of shedding so, I don`t know. Some people react fine, some not. But for me minox / finasteride = pure poison

Quote Originally Posted by sayian View Post
    For those who have been on antidepressants, biotin depletion (antidepressants do that) might be a cause of hairloss. I`ve been on them and regrew lots of hair with biotin, afterwards.

Vitamin E is also a good way to grow hair, but you must know what type of vitamin e to take

Regarding finasteride : took 5 pills in 2010 and went in full blown depression only from 5 pills, also anxiety and loss of libido. Never will touch that poison again. Minoxidil also caused tons of shedding so, I don`t know. Some people react fine, some not. But for me minox / finasteride = pure poison
    You might be right about Finasteride. Who am I to judge?

Minoxidil does shed the initial three to four months. It's just a one time thing. I haven't had any shedding, except when I first took it twenty plus years ago. One time, and that was it. And I even skipped it for two or three years in between.