+ Reply to Thread

Default Does Diffuse Thinning Mean You Will Always Reach Advanced Norwood Class?

If you are diffuse thinning on the top of your scalp does this mean you are virtually guaranteed to reach Norwood 5, 6, or 7? Or might you just "thin" and still have sone hairs remain on the top of scalp?

I'm starting to wonder if I ~officially~ have "diffuse pattern alopecia" or if that can ever be diagnosed with 100 percent specificity. All of the hair on top of my scalp has thinned, yes, but I'm not sure that it's "diffuse" per se. The greatest loss is definitely in the forelock and just behind the hairline. Also I have temple recession. That was the case with my dad's hair at 69 when he passed. He never went slick bald or anything close.

Anyway, thoughts on diffuse balding and eventual Norwood class or thoughts on diagnosing it in general? I feel like my midscalp looks too thick to be DPA

As with any "Am I balding? how bald will I go?" question, the only way to find out would be to wait and see what happens, or maybe spend money on diagnosis from a professional who will do a detailed scalp examination on you (which can show if you've got mass miniaturization happening).

It depends. I've seen older men with hair that's quite sparse all over but still with no real true slick bald spots, and many women get diffuse thinning as they age but it's rare to see a completely bald woman.

The biggest indicators are your age and your family history, although even then neither of those indicators are foolproof. If you're in your early 20s and already seeing hair loss, and you come from a family of Norwood 7ers (which is the situation I'm in), you can pretty much see where it's going.

@hanginginthewire - Part your hair on top of your head, if you get a wide parting that you can see quite a bit of scalp through running all the way across your head, it's diffuse. Naturally there's degrees and subjectivity to it though, hair density and thickness is all relative to other people.