+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A Positive Post

Default A Positive Post

I'm confident that an effective treatment either to permanently prevent or reverse hair loss will be available within the next five years and I would like to hear others' opinions on the subject. I base my optimism on the numbers of reputable companies that are now researching hair loss and use the somewhat cliched number of five years because I estimate that to be the average time FDA trials for effective treatments take.

When I first began losing my hair about seven years ago and completed research, little was known about dutasteride (I never head of it until 2005) and only Propecia and Minoxidil were available. Good things were also said about Nizoral and Revivogen (I like this product, most people won't). Procerin was less well known but I have to admit it did have results for me (I switched to Propecia because the results were better - Procerin certainly worked for me to an extent). There was talk of hair cloning in theory, but little obvious progress had been made since the experiments at Durham University in about 1990.

I learned to be sceptical quickly, as I remember my father telling me at 8 years old that a cure for baldness would be available by the time that it affected me! I assume he was talking about hair cloning and 19 years later we still haven't cracked it. But we have cloned a sheep, discovered Propecia and Avodart and developed FUE and BHT since then, which is pretty good going. Wigs and toupees have also improved dramatically, if that's your thing. (David Cameron must be wearing one by now, not that it's possible to tell). They're even developing artificial hair that won't kill you with cellulitus now, which has to be a step in the right direction!

Indeed, my optimism goes so far as to wonder which of the current companies will develop a solution first, not whether they will find anything at all. Of course, there have been problems because of the recession and InterCytex went into voluntary liquidation - actually, that was a good thing because Aderans bought their technology and therefore merged the technology of two companies working in stealth - that will probably kick start some amazing strides forward. More concerning is Histogen's patent law suit; hopefully the company suing them will use the technology and not shelve it.

Follica and Trichoscience are also on the verge of a breakthrough. TRX-2 are confident, albeit too secretive to give us much hope yet. However, they arguably have the brightest brains in the business. There's also Actistem, a long shot but a lot of people liked the TB4 technology so there's hope, though this is restricted to people whose hair follicles are still alive. There's plenty to be excited about.

My money is on TRX-2, but I'm a gambler at heart and want some risk. Aderans is probably the favourite. It's enough for me to know there are reputable companies working on this the world over. The solution is in reach and if they have it available in the next five years, I'll be able to recapture some of my younger years before my middle age hits. I'll hit a bit midlife crisis then, because I've spent my youth being treated like I was a middle aged man!

Good that you are optimistic.

I never blamed you for being negative. Only said that you were. lol

There is good reason to be negative...maybe even more so than to be positive. But hope is always a good thing. And if we can just maintain or slightly improve our appearance then maybe one day...we can fix our hairlines again.

Personally...maybe 5 years, maybe not. Seems like everyone said this every 5 years.

No doubt however that obviously the next 5 years will have the most hope of all. Lets hope that something finally does happen. Something affordable...something super effective and safe.

I am extremely skeptical of anything...

Personally right now I only trust FDA **APROVED** products. minoxidil and finasteride. Thats pretty much it. Perhaps a shampoo here and there to HELP but wont ever recommend that to anyone for androgenic alopecia.

I am really in the search for smaller weapons in my arsenal at this time. I am getting the FDA approved stuff soon. But i want more... small things that do work. I personally no longer believe in the laser comb, AT ALL. The studies showed that the objective observations actually HAD LESS(very slightly) hair, as found by the physicians who actually did the study. So if you give a group of people that laser comb to use for around a year...and noone sees results... thats pretty pathetic for 500 dollars. The amount of time you wasted using it combined with the actual money spent. An enormous waste.

But perhaps there are small things that DO in fact work? I am not sure. If you can recommend anything that has slight prove behind it that would be great maybe. We should always come back and review products we think about and test.

We should provide information...

Anyway man...I really do hope something comes. I feel optimistic about it...But you never know. Stuff really takes a long time. I really really do feel however that if you can maintain your current hair, and can easily afford a hair transplant that you should do that. I mean it will really make your hair look much better if you still have a decent amount. It could fill in the other areas well, 2000 grafts wont work a miracle...but it will be well worth it.

And honestly anything fake puts me off. I know a little toppik is nothing but hair pieces and artificial hair? Really? That makes very little sense to me...I would feel wrong. I don't like it. What if they get damaged? Etc? Its not right. Get real hair or not.

Anything small you can recommend? Any routines? Any supplements ?

my multivitimin does contain biotin but only 50% of my RDA. I am thinking about getting saw palmetto and biotin...but I doubt if it's worth it.

anyway glad you are feeling better about the situation.

All in all though, perhaps just do what we can, cut our losses and move on with life...

Sucks and its hard but life is still a great experience and I love being able to live it. Id much prefer balding than not living at all. Solving this problem is much more fun than not living at all, or dieing in an accident or having cancer.

It is horrific at first, but it opens your eyes.

anyway man good luck and keep me posted on the things you try! once i get my finas and minox i will post pictures and keep updating. perhaps even do a blog.

I have an answer on shampoo. Get Nizoral. It's not FDA approved, but it might as well be. It seems to be widely recommended and at the very least it stops your scalp itching.

I will try to get it.

Also man. Stuff does look much better than it did in the past... just hang on there. Something worth our time and money should most likely happen soon.

I've got a plan B if nothing comes along anyway. I'm a qualified Corporate Secretary and Accountant and I'm also quite frugal. I can easily establish my own practice where I can work from home which will make enough to live on. I can severely reduce the amount of human contact I receive on a daily basis and also cut plenty of ties with people I don't particularly like.

I actually like the idea of becoming a recluse; I know it's not for everyone but I think I could be quite content with it. If nothing else, it's got to be a better option than looking like a bouncer!

haha yeah...looking like a bouncer sucks kinda

meh... just keep your head high man.

Better to keep a low profile. Nothing enrages men with hair more than a successful bald person, it creates an envy reserved solely towards people who should just be losers.

u need serious psychological help man. u really need to see a shrink. ive never seen someone react to hairloss the way you have. spare me the explanation, u need professional help. u are a sad miserable human being.

lol, i feel like that a lot of days about stuff

hair is getting there.

I think most humans need some sort of mental help. We aren't perfect you know hehe

We try to hard to be.

Quote Originally Posted by KeepTheHair View Post
    haha yeah...looking like a bouncer sucks kinda
    Well, I'd have to disagree with this to some extent. I've been having the bouncer look for about 2 years now, i buzz my hair very short. Also I'm tall and been doing sport. So even by the physique i look like a bouncer. I don't care what people's first impression of me is, but no matter how you look once those around you get to know you for what you really are it does not matter anymore. I'll admit it's harder now to get the confidence i used to right from the start but this helps...it's like a process of natural selection, the superficial ones will fall and the true friends, girlfriends and quality people will stick with and by you.

Now, Fixed by 35, i wouldn't put it as rough as hdude46 did, but you really need to take it easy. Things like "I'd rather be dead than bald" are scary.
    What i suggest as a first step is this: if part of your attitude comes from the fact that does around you see your balding and you don't like the "degradation" process and facing them then move. Move to a different city, move somewhere where you start out from where you are right now. That way people will judge you as you are and not as you are vs. as you were (before hair loss).

There's no need to keep a low profile just to give superficial people satisfaction. What you and they need to learn is that what matters is what/how much/how you think and are.

Don't despere for god's sake.