+ Reply to Thread

Thread: temporary fix?

Default temporary fix?

Hey everyone,

I am planning to go see a dermatologist soon and look into starting Propecia. My understanding is that it will be anywhere from 6-12 months before I know to what extent or even if Propecia will work for me. I seem to have slowed my loss a little with NIOXIN shampoo, but I would like to boost my self esteem and cover up my thinning areas while I wait for the verdict on Propecia.

Has anyone on here used something topical like Toppix and been happy with it? It seems to me that Toppix is some kind of "hair powder", and I am not sure how that would even work? I saw on the web somewhere some fairly dramatic "before and after" photos of what was described as "micro-keratin (hair) fibers" that seemed to come in a liquid or gel form. I can't for the life of me remember the name of that stuff. Does that sound familiar to anyone?

Any suggestions that will not be a waste of $$$.

Thanks,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by john76 View Post
    Has anyone on here used something topical like Toppix and been happy with it? It seems to me that Toppix is some kind of "hair powder", and I am not sure how that would even work? I saw on the web somewhere some fairly dramatic "before and after" photos of what was described as "micro-keratin (hair) fibers" that seemed to come in a liquid or gel form. I can't for the life of me remember the name of that stuff. Does that sound familiar to anyone?

Any suggestions that will not be a waste of $$$.
    Hi John,

Recently Bigmac posted images of his head with and without the use of his Nanogen Fibers (a similar product to Toppik). The images provide a clear representation of how wonderful and helpful these products can be. Here is the direct link to the post: http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showpos...7&postcount=16 He'd be a good person to ask more about it.

Hi John
    I use toppic and like it, although it's a bit powdery and if you use too much it looks weird. I use a product called dermmatch and love it and wouldn't be without it. My hair loss is a general thinning evenly overall but more noticable when I pull my hair back into a pony tail, so I use dermmatch when I wear it like this, and it works really well, its much better than toppic as you can't tell you're wearing it. I think it works best for diffuse thinning rather tha bald areas but I don't know what your hair loss is like. It's popular with women for this reason. I know of a male workmate who has used toppic (I can see when he wears it but only because I know what it is) and it works really well for him. The only problem with toppic is that if you don't have a fringe (bangs) and you may not given you're male, it can get on your forehead easily during the day. Anyway, I recommend dermatch, but wish you luck with whatever you choose

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    Hi John
    I use toppic and like it, although it's a bit powdery and if you use too much it looks weird. I use a product called dermmatch and love it and wouldn't be without it. My hair loss is a general thinning evenly overall but more noticable when I pull my hair back into a pony tail, so I use dermmatch when I wear it like this, and it works really well, its much better than toppic as you can't tell you're wearing it. I think it works best for diffuse thinning rather tha bald areas but I don't know what your hair loss is like. It's popular with women for this reason. I know of a male workmate who has used toppic (I can see when he wears it but only because I know what it is) and it works really well for him. The only problem with toppic is that if you don't have a fringe (bangs) and you may not given you're male, it can get on your forehead easily during the day. Anyway, I recommend dermatch, but wish you luck with whatever you choose
    That's good advice Pax. I use Dermmatch myself and find it easy to apply without the mess associated with the keratin fiber products. However those products can really work well if you learn how to finesse them.
    Spencer Kobren
    Founder, American Hair Loss Association
    Host, The Bald Truth Radio Show

I am not a physician. My opinions and knowledge concerning hair loss and its treatment are based on extensive research and reporting on the subject as a consumer advocate and hair loss educator. My views and comments on the subject should not be taken as medical advice. Always seek the advice of a medical professional when considering medical and surgical treatment.

First, quit wasting money on NIOXIN. I have been a propecia / finasteride user for more than 8 years, had tremendous regrowth and have kept it ever since.

Spencer, thanks for the site!
    Last edited by bubka; 11-30-2008 at 06:47 PM.

Hey Bubka, I agree with you ... NIOXIN doesn't work. Didn't do anything for me. How long did it take for you to notice some regrowth from Propecia? In comparison to you I am a relative beginner on Propecia, and would be interested i knowing how long it took before you saw regrowth of any significance?

Thanks! TeeJay

Thanks for responding, everybody. I ordered and tried a Toppic-like product and found it to look ok on the back (crown) of my head, but it looked a little goofy on the hairline in front. I have one side that is receeding faster than the other, so I need someting that will address that area, too. I have ordered a disc of dermmatch and will let you know what I think.

As far as Nioxin, I spend about $20 every 2-3 months on it and it really has slowed my loss. Hasn't stopped it, but I have noticed a difference in the amount of hair in the drain. I like the smell and even if it is completely BS, I feel it is helping. Since my hairloss affects my self esteem, I am more than willing to put $8-10/month towards something that I believe is helping.

Health insurance kicks in next month, so when that happens it is off to the dermatologist for Propecia.

John, I am almost certain that Propecia isn't covered by health insurance?

TeeJay

True, but going to the doctor would be.