+ Reply to Thread

Default Pics of my very first hair piece / system...what do you think & any advice you have?

So I made an appointment with a local stylist who ordered and put my first hair piece on for me. What do you guys think of the pics? Please let me know and be very honest.

So far, I think I'm happy with the results even tho I want the sides to blend in more but I think it will once my hair grows in for the next month or so.

The stylist that worked with me recommended I tape the front but I opted for glue because the tape was too visible. I still have yet to form an opinon on the glue yet tho which brings me to the next question:

1) How do you guys bond your hair systems: with glue or tape or a mixture of both?

2) Also, what do you do to make your hair system last as long as possible before having to replace it with a new one?

3) And do you put the hair system on yourself? If so, how do you do it? I found it nearly impossible and had to have my bro do it for me.

Thanks for the help and please give your HONEST opinion about my hair system.

Thanks!
    Attached Images

from pics and as a first attempt 8.25/10

hairline, density, colour and blend are good.

as you wear you will make changes but thats experience.

1. tape with infrequent liquid glue touch up
    2. I could write a whole section of little things that when added = months of extended wear
    3. yes

nice

it look very natural.

Hi BBTM

That looks pretty good. Where did you get it from in the end?

The hairline is nice. Ideally your sides need to be a bit thicker - at the minute the piece is a bit denser than your real hair at the sides. Hopefully that will sort itself out as your sides grow out. If it doesn't I would suggest getting a bigger hairpiece next time, to bring the hairpiece hair further down the sides. The photo shows a very slight color mismatch at the back, but I suspect that is just a trick of the camera and is not noticeable in real life.

To answer your Qs

(1) tape at the back and sides, glue at the hairline for me. The only tape which works for the hairline is 3 mil tape, which is not really tape as such, but glue in tape form. All the other tapes are visible at the hairline.

(2) Don't shampoo it too often - once a week is enough. When you do shampoo it, also use a rich good quality conditioner, but be careful not to get it on the knots. Treat the piece gently when it's wet. If it is lace, think about using knot sealer.

(3) yes. There are various ways, but here is mine. I put the tape on around the back and sides, leaving the backing in place, but just folding a tiny corner back so that it is easy to remove. I also put two small squares of tape on the piece about level with where the piece meets my temple hair, about an inch in from the edge, one on each side, again with the backing left on but a corner folded back. I then put the piece on my head and move it into position. When it is perfectly in position, I hold it in place on top of my head with one hand, and with the other hand I flip back the front and remove the tape from the two small squares. I stick those down to anchor the hairpiece in position. Then I flip the back up and remove the backing from the tape and stick the back of the piece down, middle section first and then the very back. Finally I hold the front down with my hand and mark where the hairline is by sticking the teeth of a comb into my forehead. Then I flip up the front, apply the glue using that mark as a guide, and when it is dry I stick the front of the hairpiece down. Voila!

Thanks guys for the feedback. I noticed today that when I styled my hair in a combed back position, the edge of the lace was still noticeable. I was hoping the glue would help with this so I am currently styling my hair to cover my hair line, which is kind of a bummer. I will post pics later of my current hair style to get your opinions.

Do you guys style your hair so that you cover the front lace? Or have you perfected it in such a way that you can style it, revealing your hair line without worry about the front lace showing? Any tips on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post
    Hi BBTM

That looks pretty good. Where did you get it from in the end?
    I actually didn't order, a lady who styled my hair ordered it for me so I'm not sure where she got it from. But I'm planning on ordering my own because she charged me $650 for it which is a lot I hear. Any suggestions on where I should order it? I was thinking Hair Direct maybe?

(1) tape at the back and sides, glue at the hairline for me. The only tape which works for the hairline is 3 mil tape, which is not really tape as such, but glue in tape form. All the other tapes are visible at the hairline.
    Ok that's exactly what I did but I noticed the glue forming at the hairline area making it quite noticeable, which is currently forcing to style my hair to cover up my hair line area. What brand of glue do you recommend and do you style your hair to cover your hairline or are you confident in it enough to style your hair back, revealing the hair line?

(2) Don't shampoo it too often - once a week is enough. When you do shampoo it, also use a rich good quality conditioner, but be careful not to get it on the knots. Treat the piece gently when it's wet. If it is lace, think about using knot sealer.
    Ok I will keep this in mind, thanks. What conditioner do you recommend? Currently I'm using this "Argan Oil Shampoo" to hopefully promote growth and thickness on the sides and back of my head.