+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Electrolysis Hair Transplant Repair? Dr. Cooley Documentary Part 4

In part 4 of the hair transplant documentary fearturing Dr. Jerry Cooley we see the FUE repair patient being prepped for the remainder of his surgery. To recap, he has FUE locally with a different clinic and the FUE scars were too big and the growth was not what the patient was hoping for.

As it turns out, some of the hairline grafts had to be removed, which is not particularly unusual, but it is something I've not seen often where electrolysis is utilized and on the same day of the surgery as well.

Joe Tillman
    The original Hair Transplant Mentor

Interested to know which doctors I recommend?
    See the full list at HairTransplantMentor.com/hair-transplant-doctors

Why didn't Dr. Cooley extract those hairs and relocate them? Isn't he wasting precious grafts?

the problem I see Joe is electrolysis takes more then one pass to kill the hair. Ive been doing electrolysis and laser for years now to remove hair and can tell you with 100% certainty that one pass to the hair root won't kill it. even if its in its growth phase. it will surely weaken it if in the growth but if not in the growth then it did nothing.

Doctor Representative Haircenter's Avatar

Hello Tofacitinib Lotion,

Why didn't Dr. Cooley extract those hairs and relocate them? Isn't he wasting precious grafts?
    You ask a fair question and it is one that requires a fair answer. No, he's not wasting precious grafts for two reasons. First, very few of the grafts were addressed with electrolysis. We only targeted the few grafts that were causing problems for the patient, and that would cause problems with the final result of Dr. Cooley's procedure. There were about 25 on one side of his hairline that were targeted and maybe another 20 on the other side. If transplanted we would be facing two issues.

1. The FUE extraction is more traumatic to the scalp as opposed to the fine needle used in electrolysis. The goal in any procedure is to keep the smallest impact as possible because it is better for the patient for the long term.

2. Dr. Cooley was only targeting the single hairs that were in the frontal hairline/temple region. Had there been multi-hairs then he would have salvaged what he could but when we're dealing with misdirected, badly angled singles the chances of getting each of them out intact, viable, and without leaving unnecessary tissue damage is low. Scarring from such procedures that this patient had in the past will alter the angle of growth in the scalp so it is difficult to follow these unnatural angles when you can't see them. Transection in a case like this could leave hair shaft remnants behind that would cause inflammation and possible complications.

GNX,

What you're talking about with laser is absolutely true. It does take multiple passes. In our experience, however, electrolysis works on the first attempt getting about 80% to 90% of all the hairs targeted. Dr. Cooley has been using this approach for about 20 years with lots of success. It is rare that we need to perform a second pass.

Dr. Cooley is an extremely experienced dermatologist so this knowledge that he has gained in his original specialty has been a great benefit to him and for his patients. This is just one of those benefits.

Below is an example of another patient that had a similar circumstance when he arrived at our clinic. The electrolysis was performed one time during the surgery.

I represent Dr. Jerry Cooley online. All opinions are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Dr. Cooley. I am not a doctor.

Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View Dr. Cooley's IAHRS Profile

Visit Haircenter.com to learn why Jerry Cooley MD is a hair transplant doctor to consider.

Learn more about Jerry Cooley MD and Hair Center in Charlotte, NC

Get to Know Jerry Cooley MD and Carolina Dermatology Hair Center

For complimentary consultations with one of the leading hair transplant doctors worldwide please contact us here.

Hair Transplant Consultation With Jerry Cooley MD at HairCenter.com

But if the skin surface is already not normal, i guess the electrolysis will not enhance the skin

using Fue extraction with smallest tool mightcmake the skin smoother

Sorry I have to correct HairCenter.

"What you're talking about with laser is absolutely true. It does take multiple passes. In our experience, however, electrolysis works on the first attempt getting about 80% to 90% of all the hairs targeted."

I have years of experience with electrolysis myself, and can say with 100% certainty that your information is inaccurate. GNX is correct, it takes several treatments to a single follicle to weaken the dermal papilla. Kinda like how DHT weakens the follicle every hair cycle, electrolysis works that same. I might be able to believe this if he were possibly doing blend or galvanic, but not thermolysis.

Hi Sam23,

No, electrolysis does not enhance the skin, per se.
    I represent Dr. Jerry Cooley online. All opinions are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Dr. Cooley. I am not a doctor.

Visit Haircenter.com to learn why Jerry Cooley MD is a hair transplant doctor to consider.

For complimentary consultations with one of the leading hair transplant doctors worldwide please contact us here.

Quote Originally Posted by Foreverlacey View Post
    Sorry I have to correct HairCenter.

"What you're talking about with laser is absolutely true. It does take multiple passes. In our experience, however, electrolysis works on the first attempt getting about 80% to 90% of all the hairs targeted."

I have years of experience with electrolysis myself, and can say with 100% certainty that your information is inaccurate. GNX is correct, it takes several treatments to a single follicle to weaken the dermal papilla. Kinda like how DHT weakens the follicle every hair cycle, electrolysis works that same. I might be able to believe this if he were possibly doing blend or galvanic, but not thermolysis.
    Foreverlacey,

With all due respect, I've just shown an example that proves your 100% comment to be false. The patient I showed in the photos had one pass. Almost all of the hair was removed from this one pass and the surgery performed at the same time was a success (not your point I know, but worth mentioning). How can my information be inaccurate if I just showed you an example of this approach? Some cases do work better than others but the facts are the facts and I just showed as much.

Not throwing stones, and you maybe right. I just find it hard to believe. There could be factors involved that weakened these follicles which allowed for the one pass. Still it's pretty much unheard of in the industry. Photos do not prove anything.

As you mention electroylsis work in same way like dht to make the hair weaker

Is it possible to use electrolysis then to soften the hairor laser maybe, so then the hair would be soft like the original hair