Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HTsoon
    • Feb 2016

Originally posted by hanginginthewire
    What would be the reasons - if any - for having FUT in your opinion? And what do you think about FUE taking hair that is not in the "sweet spot" of the donor zone? My nape hair definitely is thinning/balding and I wouldn't want hair transplanted from there. Thanks for addressing my concerns I know I'm full of questions. Unfortunately I'm pretty preoccupied with all this stuff at the moment.
    Well there are many reasons why someone would choose FUT, for one FUT is generally a lot cheaper if you live in the United States or Canada, the other reason is you're able to move a large amount of grafts at once, with FUE typically you have to break it up in to sessions, there are cases especially in Turkey where 4,000 grafts have been taken all at once, some guys can get away with it but I don't think that's the right way to do things with FUE, it is best split in to sessions of 2,000 grafts.

Also, nape hair is rarely ever used in FUE, below is a picture of what a typical FUE donor area is, it goes a bit higher up then FUT but as long as you're not a Norwood VII those hairs should be permanent.

Typical FUE donor zone

Originally posted by hanginginthewire
    Also what are some ways of trying to estimate your likely "final" level of baldness? There's got to be something at my age of late 30s.
    This ties in to my last response, before you consider having a hair transplant, getting a microscopic scalp and donor evaluation is critical, there are tools that doctors use that can check for miniaturization of the recipient and donor, by looking at your family history and the miniaturization levels of your scalp, estimating your future hair loss is fairly good especially in your late 30's, nothing is guaranteed but surgeons can predict very closely using both family history and miniaturization evaluation.

If you see a lot of miniaturized follicles in your donor zone than you may not be a suitable candidate, the only real way to know is by having the evaluation done, if you live in LA you can go to Dr. Mohebi, he did my evaluation, he charges but it is definitely worth it. Some doctors have software that show you how many fu you have per cm2 and your average hair per cm2, some doctors will even go so far as to tell you the micron of your hair so you know whether you have fine or thick hair, hair characteristics are very important in the final outcome of a hair transplant. If you have any more questions send me a PM I don't want to hijack Dr. Wesley's thread.

Comment

• Driver
      • Nov 2015

In my opinion, FUT is better for males with more advanced hair loss, older males, and those who need to cover a large area. FUE, in my opinion, is often better for younger males and those with earlier hair loss.

Comment

• hanginginthewire
        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Driver
        In my opinion, FUT is better for males with more advanced hair loss, older males, and those who need to cover a large area. FUE, in my opinion, is often better for younger males and those with earlier hair loss.
        Maybe the reason I'm so conflicted is because I'm stuck in the middle of those criteria - I'm 37 so I'm not that young but not really "older" yet, my hair loss is prob a 3ish, righ t in the middle of the Norwood. But of course I don't know how much more my baldness will progress.

Comment

• scar d
          • Sep 2016

As someone who has experienced fut and am now in the process of trying to have the nice smiley face on the back of my head repaired, I will say this. If you have plans on cutting your hair on the sides and back of your head below a number 5/6 grade keep well away from FUT. The scar may not be that viseable but the shockloss around the scar from the colateral damage done from the incision will make the scar area look odd below this length. Best case scenario you can cut to a number 3/4 grade. But you will never no until its too late.

When you go swimming the white scar (if you lucky it stays flat) will be noticeable. Google some of the repair cases of FUE into scar to and also the amount of guys that have got SMP to try fix there smiley face scar. If you must get a transplant dont try to save money find a doctor with lots of experience and results in FUE and see him. Personally the best thing you can do is get on propecia.

I still can't believe in the year 2016 there are still doctors out there promoting FUT as the gold standard. With all the guys out there who have been scarred by this neanderthalic proceedure.

Comment

Working...