+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Does dutasteride at lower doses work better for some?

Two years ago I gave avodart a shot taking 0.5 mg a day. I stopped taking it 9 months later due to losing too much hair. I believe it made matters worse.
    When stopping I jumped back on to propecia and that thickened things up slightly. Propecia never stopped my hairloss but slowed it down. The problem is now that it's completely stopped working after three years usage.
    I am a diffuse thinner with dark blonde hair and from what I've read blondes tend to lose more hair because they have more of it.

I need to do something and considering dutasteride at a lower dose. Is there anyone out there that has lost ground the first year then recovered? I noticed whilst taking propecia that I could see the difference within 3 months, but with dutasteride, it seemed like a losing battle. Also my semen was thicker! From what I've gathered from researching is that hair loss sufferers on Dut with watery semen seem to have better results.

It's very hard this battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie88 View Post
    I need to do something and considering dutasteride at a lower dose. Is there anyone out there that has lost ground the first year then recovered? I noticed whilst taking propecia that I could see the difference within 3 months, but with dutasteride, it seemed like a losing battle. Also my semen was thicker! From what I've gathered from researching is that hair loss sufferers on Dut with watery semen seem to have better results.
    It's very weird, and happens to be too. Propecia seems to work better than dut at 0.5mg! I switched from fin to dut last year and kept shedding. But instead of going back to propecia, I upped the dose to 2 pills (1mg) of dut, and shedding stopped!

During the time you were on dut? Did you notice increased libido? When I was on 0.5mg of dut, my libido was high, and I was shedding heavily. When I upped the dose to 1mg, my libido dropped a bit, and shedding stopped.

Libido was high for sure whilst on dutasteride. How long did you shed for and how is your hair looking now?

Upping the dosage sounds frightening to me, I was hoping to lower it.

Hi Doctor, thanks for the response. I guess the only way to find out is the practical way. Considering when taking 0.5 mg a day produced thicker semen for me (sorry for bringing this up) indicates that the drug is producing more testosterone, yes? From what I've read testosterone can also play a role in hair loss, therefore a lower dose might be a better option. I really don't know. I still can't find any information on the drug working better for some at 0.5 a week compared to 0.5 daily where shedding has not been so aggressive and gradually slowed down MPB.

From what I've read testosterone can also play a role in hair loss,
    I read the opposite. No, testosterone does not cause balding, only DHT. Some men have a balding genes that somehow making DHT attacking the hair follicles, but some others don't have this gene.

So have you noticed thicker hair/regrowth whilst upping the dose to 1mg? How long were you on propecia for and avodart? I'm really going through a rough time atm. Propecia is not holding at all and I'm losing so much hair…more hair than I thought possible. Do you use any topical products, e.g. minoxidil, RU? I've never had any success on my hairline with any drug so thinking of jumping back on RU. Never give it enough time before and just hoping to maintain until something else comes around….if that will ever happen.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldingHelpMe View Post
    It's very weird, and happens to be too. Propecia seems to work better than dut at 0.5mg! I switched from fin to dut last year and kept shedding. But instead of going back to propecia, I upped the dose to 2 pills (1mg) of dut, and shedding stopped!

During the time you were on dut? Did you notice increased libido? When I was on 0.5mg of dut, my libido was high, and I was shedding heavily. When I upped the dose to 1mg, my libido dropped a bit, and shedding stopped.

So have you noticed thicker hair/regrowth whilst upping the dose to 1mg?
    I can't say thicker or any regrowth yet, but excessive shedding definitely has stopped, and hair feels better, seems less oily. I had been on propecia for over 12 years before I switched to dut. Propecia did work for me, I switched to dut because I was just greedy hoping for even thicker hair, and I got TE for switching.

Also I have never used any topical, and I don't plan to use any at all.

That's a long time having success on finasteride. I've only been on the stuff for two years and I've still loss a lot of hair. So I'm guessing you still have a lot of hair.

That's a long time having success on finasteride. I've only been on the stuff for two years and I've still loss a lot of hair. So I'm guessing you still have a lot of hair.
    Having lots of hair all around, but frontal loss was obvious, this is actually worse! I'm still waiting and hoping for regrowth.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldingHelpMe View Post
    I can't say thicker or any regrowth yet, but excessive shedding definitely has stopped, and hair feels better, seems less oily. I had been on propecia for over 12 years before I switched to dut. Propecia did work for me, I switched to dut because I was just greedy hoping for even thicker hair, and I got TE for switching.

Also I have never used any topical, and I don't plan to use any at all.
    Hi Bernie. How is your situation now?