+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default *please read* 21 year old looking to get a transplant

Hey guys, so this is my first post but have been a long time reader on this website. I'm 21 years old and thinking of getting a hair transplant, I would say that my hair is a Norwood 2 verging into a Norwood 3 however my hair is still decent enough to be able to hide my hair loss if I style it the right way. Before anyone says "21 is too young for a transplant, you'll continue to loose hair after" please listen to my story first.

So I first noticed I was loosing my hair at the tender age of 16 (what a bitch right?) however it wasn't that bad and no one other than myself noticed it. I tried to counteract the loss by using caffeine shampoos and multi vitamins thinking that that would solve the problem - how naive. Sure enough my hair loss progressed and by the time I was 18/19 I was definitely a Norwood 2. During these years I stopped playing sports and avoided taking part in other activities such as swimming, going out with friends etc, to avoid anyone ever seeing my hair loss. I gained weight and my confidence has all but disintegrated (I was a fit, active, confident, and -to some extent- attractive person prior to my hair loss). I started looking at proven treatments but was too afraid to start finasteride due to possible side effects, and avoided minoxidil because I just couldn't see myself spending even more time on my hair than I already was, I didn't want it to take over my life more than it had done already! However one year later in October 2015, I decided to take the plunge and begin taking finasteride. I knew that if I was to have any chance of saving my hair that finasteride is basically a must. 10 months on and I'm seeing some decent results, my hair looks and feels thicker, it is easier for me to style my hair how I want and I'm seeing some decent regrowth in my receding areas (the re-growing hairs are still not fully matured but I'm hoping that it would improve over the next 8-14 months).

So what do you guys think? Do you reckon that a transplant is viable for me? I know that I will probably need another transplant in the future if I was to get one due to further hair loss, but I just want my life back... I'm 21 years old but feel like 35!

I should also point out that my dad is completely bald and my uncle (mums side of the fam) is a solid Norwood 4/5 so hairloss is in my blood unfortunately, however none of them started losing their hair as early as I have!

I've also been doing research into clinics and have a few in mind for a consultation but if anyone has had a transplant please could you let me know how it went/ who you had it with/ how are your results!

Sorry this is long as hell but I look forward to hearing what you have to say!

Chicago,Il. (the best city in the United States)

Hello Geo,
    Can you please post photos of your hairlines so that we all can see just how specific your hair is??
    Of course, you do not need to show your face.
    Because you are only 21 years old, more than likely you would not need a hair transplant yet.
    Do not get worried or stressed out over anything in your life.
    That WILL cause more problems to your hair and health

Thanks for the reply, I will try post some photos tomorrow with clean hair so you can see the full extent!

Here's a pic, hope the link works aha

http://imgur.com/N4r8bQu

Quote Originally Posted by geo View Post
    I know that I will probably need another transplant in the future if I was to get one due to further hair loss, but I just want my life back... I'm 21 years old but feel like 35!
    You will probably cause more damage at your young age and spend the rest of your life fixing the early transplant

It could take 2 years for finasteride to reach it's full potential for some people.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    It could take 2 years for finasteride to reach it's full potential for some people.
    Yeah man I realise this, this is just the beginning of my research into transplants and by the time I'll have saved enough money for one it'll probably be close to the 2 year mark anyway haha, I just hope the hairs that have been effected by finasteride get thicker and then maybe I'll be happy enough with my hair to not have a transplant!

Are you on finasteride? I'm not sure I understood. A young patient with agressive hair loss who is willing to get a HT needs to have been on finasteride for a year and to have stabilized his loss. You'll see from there, but of course, starting your research now is a good idea.

Yes I am have been for 10 months now and seen decent results as I said (:

Chicago,Il. (the best city in the United States)

Hey there Geo! Hello!
    Glad to hear back from you and thank you for posting that photo of your scalp!

It is obvious that you do have a matured hairline and a small % of hairloss too.
    NO WORRIES, (worry will make things worse)!
    Hicks did suggest that you start on Finasteride. That is good option for you!!
    (Good job Hicks!!)
    I started on Finasteride back in 2013. After approx 3 months, my wife and I could see a positive change starting to happen back then.
    Over the course of a year my hair was (and still is) showing IMPROVEMENTS.
    In 2013, I have had much more hairloss than you do now!
    I still use Finasteride to this very day! In November 2015 (last year) I also started using Minoxidil as well .
    Minoxidil also showed hair help after about 3 months of its use too.