Threaded View

Default *please read* 21 year old looking to get a transplant

Hey guys, so this is my first post but have been a long time reader on this website. I'm 21 years old and thinking of getting a hair transplant, I would say that my hair is a Norwood 2 verging into a Norwood 3 however my hair is still decent enough to be able to hide my hair loss if I style it the right way. Before anyone says "21 is too young for a transplant, you'll continue to loose hair after" please listen to my story first.

So I first noticed I was loosing my hair at the tender age of 16 (what a bitch right?) however it wasn't that bad and no one other than myself noticed it. I tried to counteract the loss by using caffeine shampoos and multi vitamins thinking that that would solve the problem - how naive. Sure enough my hair loss progressed and by the time I was 18/19 I was definitely a Norwood 2. During these years I stopped playing sports and avoided taking part in other activities such as swimming, going out with friends etc, to avoid anyone ever seeing my hair loss. I gained weight and my confidence has all but disintegrated (I was a fit, active, confident, and -to some extent- attractive person prior to my hair loss). I started looking at proven treatments but was too afraid to start finasteride due to possible side effects, and avoided minoxidil because I just couldn't see myself spending even more time on my hair than I already was, I didn't want it to take over my life more than it had done already! However one year later in October 2015, I decided to take the plunge and begin taking finasteride. I knew that if I was to have any chance of saving my hair that finasteride is basically a must. 10 months on and I'm seeing some decent results, my hair looks and feels thicker, it is easier for me to style my hair how I want and I'm seeing some decent regrowth in my receding areas (the re-growing hairs are still not fully matured but I'm hoping that it would improve over the next 8-14 months).

So what do you guys think? Do you reckon that a transplant is viable for me? I know that I will probably need another transplant in the future if I was to get one due to further hair loss, but I just want my life back... I'm 21 years old but feel like 35!

I should also point out that my dad is completely bald and my uncle (mums side of the fam) is a solid Norwood 4/5 so hairloss is in my blood unfortunately, however none of them started losing their hair as early as I have!

I've also been doing research into clinics and have a few in mind for a consultation but if anyone has had a transplant please could you let me know how it went/ who you had it with/ how are your results!

Sorry this is long as hell but I look forward to hearing what you have to say!