Threaded View

Post Longhair beginning to bald?

Hey all,

I am a 24 YO and I have spent quite a while lurking through this forum and others and you all seem quite knowledgeable. I would just like some opinions as to where I am in the balding process.

Despite having looked at many images of balding men , I am still confused as to what stage I am in. I have a somewhat small/short/not-forward-grown head and a sloped forehead, so looking at the cartoon diagrams within the Norwood chart, I really have difficulty telling if my hairline is a NW2 or NW3.

Additionally, over the last few months, I have become much more aware of the balding process and have been paying attention to the details of my hair to watch for any changes. I do shed a clump of hair in the shower daily (seems to be around 50-100), but it seems hard for me to determine whether or not it is normal as I have spent the last year growing my hair long, so visually it looks like a lot despite the count not being too high (plus I don't have a baseline to compare it to, so it could still be above the "norm" for me). I do not wake up with excessive hair on my pillow.

Recently, I have discovered (i.e. for the first time, paid attention to the fact) that the hair density on the top of my head (not necessarily originating from the vertex itself, but the very top) appears lacking. I have no idea if it was always like this or if it became more noticeable because I have grown out my hair. And because the hair is longer/curly/clumped into locks, depending on which way it is parted/brushed, the hair looks better or worse, but I mean I understand that that's exactly what people try to exploit when they use a combover. As I am 24, it wouldn't be unbelievable if I am beginning to bald. To top it all off, I had a pool-related injury to the top of my head/scalp when I was younger. That injury has left me with numbness in the top region of my scalp and possible loss of hair there as well (I never paid attention!). These factors combined with my inability to tell if I am NW2 or NW3 has made it really difficult for me to tell *how much* I have balded already. I'm only trying to get an idea of how much "time" I have left (I know that it can speed up/slow down, etc. but I am trying to figure out when it gets bad enough to need to do something about it)

I have thought a lot about what I would do when I begin balding rapidly and I don't feel comfortable with the idea of taking propecia. Minoxidil, spiro, nizoral, etc. I am ok with, but I also know that by themselves, they don't do nearly as much as when combined with finasteride. Thus, I will likely buzz it down, grow out facial hair and try to just roll with a different style.

How far along am I by now? Is it time to buzz it already? I don't want to be a combover type guy. Does anyone else have experience with this "top thinning"? How long do I have left to live?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Top5.jpg

Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	48169Click image for larger version

Name:	Top3.jpg

Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	48170Click image for larger version

Name:	Top2.jpg

Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	48171Click image for larger version

Name:	Top1.jpg

Size:	11.1 KB