+ Reply to Thread

Default Why do I have to wait for a Hair Transplant?

I'm 24. I might be able to work out the funding soon (i will be fully prepared for this when it happens) to have a hair transplant.

My question is, why can't I do it? I want to replace my hairline... I don't see any real hair loss in the crown yet. I don't know if it will come but when it does I'll be older. I want to cherish my twenties.

People say you can't get an HT until your late twenties or early thirties... why can't I get it now? There won't be any hair left for when I'm 40 and need to replace whatever else I lost? To be honest I doubt I'll care then. Or who knows maybe some new thing came out that will fix that. As of right now... and I hypothesize for the next few years... my hairline is all I'm worried about.

What can't I get an HT for my hairline now? Why do I have to lose more and wait until I'm 30?

Basically, if I went in to a surgeon and asked for it, will he do it?

I don't want to be stubborn but I kind of want to demand for it. I mean, I am providing the money.

guys in there 20's have had hair transplants. it all depends on your case. if you're committed to taking medication you may be eligible. pick your surgeon carefully, though.

I dunno man. That's the problem. I'm committed to taking Rogaine but I know that you can become dependent on it. Even hair that isn't gonna fall out can and if it does when you stop taking it you'll actually lose it.

My problem is I won't take Propecia. I'm just too damn scared to mess with my hormones.

That’s a big problem because Propecia is the only drug proven to work in the long term. It works hormonally and helps to reverse the balding process. Rogaine isn’t that effective in comparison. Having a hair transplant at your age could be very risky and set you up for a lifetime of problems. Like mkamph said people your age do have successful hair transplants, it really does depend on your circumstances, however if you’re just interested in replacing your teenage hairline, you’re in for a world of disappointment when your hair loss progresses.

Most doctors are hesitant to perform hair transplants on young men because it's difficult to determine to what extent your hair loss will progress. You can look to family members on either your mother or father's side to get an idea but, again, it's hard to say what exact pattern, and to what extent, your hair loss will follow.

It's important to have a long-term plan and not deplete your donor supply too early. If you were to bring down and reinforce your hairline now, you might look a little ridiculous in your forties if you lose the hair behind the transplanted region and don't have enough money or donor hair to fill it in. This is why Winston and others emphasize the importance of drugs, such as Propecia, that can prevent further, and sometimes even reverse existing, hair loss. Most doctors would prefer that you have been on Propecia/finasteride for at least a year prior to a procedure.

Another reason doctors are reluctant to work on young patients is that opting for a hair transplant is a lifetime decision and men in their early twenties may not yet be equipped to handle such a life-changing decision. A HT is a big financial commitment. As you get older, your priorities may change yet once you've opted for a HT, there is no going back. Particularly if you opt for a strip procedure, you can't later go back and decide to just shave your head without a visible scar being present.

That said, most doctors do not have a any absolute rules about what age a patient must be to have a procedure. Doctors will typically look at patients on a case-by-case basis and MAY decide that, even at your age, you are ready for a procedure based on:

-your maturity level, education about hair transplantation and understanding of any and all possible risks
    -your understanding that follow-up procedures may be necessary to fill further loss
    -you having realistic expectations and opting for a realistic hairline
    -the condition that a conservative number of grafts are used so as not to prematurely deplete the donor region

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I may sound young, stubborn and impatient but I'm actually quite adept when it comes to being educated about hair loss.

It really seems to come down to Propecia or bust. If you're in for an HT, you're all in: meaning taking Propecia and being ready for whatever comes with it.

I don't know what to say. There isn't any way to possibly get an HT and not have to do the Propecia routine?

Right now the only real problem I have it my hairline. My grandfather on my moms side had his hair... yet he died in his fifties. My grandfather on my dads side is probably like a Norwood 5 or something. He's missing his crown... and the frontal hair... but he isn't a worst case scenario... and the guy is 86. He had most of his hair in his fifties.

My father has his hair with moderate receeding hairline... he's a Norwood 2. My uncles all mostly have frontal hairloss... moderately. None too bad.

My uncle on my moms side is much the same however... her cousins all are bald. Not sure how well that translates to me. They'd be my second cousins...

Right now Rogaine replaced most of my hairline... I was a norwood 2.. getting kinda bad though.. though I would mess with my hair a lot.. I know I aggravated much of my problem. My hairline looks like I was 18 again - right now. Not sure how long the Rogaine will last.

When the time comes I wanted to replace my hairline...I don't feel like I have much to worry about at least for a while with the crown if it happens or when it does.

If I know I wouldn't have staggering sides from Propecia I'd be taking it religiously. I still have a full month supply of it. I'm just dreadful of the stuff I have seen and read from Propeciahelp.com and many other sites.

If we're on the brink of discovering all these new treatments... PRP included and beyond that even.... I don't know what path to take.

Each path has positives...(which we all know of) and the crippling negatives:

HT: Bad transplant. Loss of donor hair/not having enough for later... etc etc...

Rogaine: Not as effective... could make hair that was otherwise fine become dependent on the rogaine in the long term

Propecia: Crippling sides... could mess me up for the rest of my life etc etc...

It's a fine line to walk.... it seems like just keeping your hair is a futile fight really...

I completely sympathize with your frustration and the fact that you don’t want to wait-out your youth dissatisfied with your hairline. I understand why you would be reluctant to take Propecia (and there are certainly many others who feel the same) yet it is one of the most proactive things you can do at this stage in the game. Regardless, I would recommend that you research possible surgeons whose work you admire and set up a few consultations; some doctors even provide these online. This way, the doctor can evaluate your hair loss, family history, expectations, etc. and provide you with a professional recommendation. Be extremely wary of anyone too eager to have you jump into a large procedure or who doesn’t fully discuss possible complications, as they might just be after the revenue with little concern of long-term repercussions, financial and otherwise, for you. As long as you have realistic expectations, an understanding of the long-term implications and are fully committed to wanting to proceed, I don’t think your age would necessarily be a deal breaker.

Quote Originally Posted by CIT_Girl View Post
    I completely sympathize with your frustration and the fact that you don’t want to wait-out your youth dissatisfied with your hairline. I understand why you would be reluctant to take Propecia (and there are certainly many others who feel the same) yet it is one of the most proactive things you can do at this stage in the game. Regardless, I would recommend that you research possible surgeons whose work you admire and set up a few consultations; some doctors even provide these online. This way, the doctor can evaluate your hair loss, family history, expectations, etc. and provide you with a professional recommendation. Be extremely wary of anyone too eager to have you jump into a large procedure or who doesn’t fully discuss possible complications, as they might just be after the revenue with little concern of long-term repercussions, financial and otherwise, for you. As long as you have realistic expectations, an understanding of the long-term implications and are fully committed to wanting to proceed, I don’t think your age would necessarily be a deal breaker.
    Thank you for your feedback. I sincerely appreciate it. It's thorough and very informative.

I love it. Thanks so much.

I think I might check into some surgeons on here... and I think I might give Propecia another go. It seems necessary. I guess I shouldn't let the horror stories get in the way of the success stories I read.

Oh and here is another thing....

I know people have said in this most surgeons won't even consider you for an HT unless you're taking Propecia...

but as it currently stands I see no loss of hair in my crown area... its really just the front temples NW2 style.

...I mean I understand taking it as a precaution... but I'm just saying...

I'll upload some pics.