+ Reply to Thread

Default Please Help Me Decide, Artas Vs Smartgraft?

Hi Folks, I am new to the forum. I am in my 50s and started losing my hair about 3-4 years ago, it is thinning on the top, I attached 2 photos. I did a PRP procedure by Dr. Yaker 12 months ago followed by the 2nd PRP 11 months ago. It didn’t do much, I saw some growth after a few months, but then they went away and I am back to square one. I am interested in FUE transplant.

I saw Dr. Arocha last week, he said I had about 1,500-2,000 donor grafts and he recommended manual FUE instead of ARTAS. I then saw Dr. Bishara and he said I had about 4,500 to 5,000 donor grafts and recommended about 1,000 grafts transplant, I showed him a picture (3rd attached photo) and indicated I would like fuller hair and less receding line, he then suggested about 2,000 grafts using ARTAS. I believe he has done more ARTAS procedures than most surgeons in USA.

Dr. Yaker uses SmartGraft and I am schedule to see him in 2 days.

I have a few questions:

1- Is anyone here familiar with these doctors?

2- Any opinion on ARTAS vs SmartGraft?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Back.jpg

Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	48095   Click image for larger version

Name:	Top.jpg

Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	48096   Click image for larger version

Name:	Goal.jpg

Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	48097  

Im not sure if it's just your images but your hairloss looks very minimal, in my opinion anyway. Have you tried or considerd Finasteride? I would think you could be an excellent canidate for it. You look to have good abundant donor hair. I would think that Dr. Arocha meant you may need 1500 to 2000 grafts to meet your desired goal. Dr Arocha has a very good reputation. I would suggest you try reach out to Joe Tillman. He is a patient advocate that has worked with Dr. Arocha. Joe could give you some great advice. He never encourages going the way of transplants unless it's something you personlly have decided. He does have professional relationship with Dr. Arocha and a handfull of other Drs. but alway advises what he feels are the best options for you..
    Another thing, you're on the right track being here. My advice is to take your time and do tons of research. With your minimal loss and what looks to be great donor you will have plenty of options to reverse your hairloss. Make the best desicion based on what you learn and your chances of a successful battle become all the better!

Thanks Hairbrain,

I took finasteride about a year ago when I got the PRP and it impacted my sex drive, so I stopped after a month. I read in a post about topical finasteride, did a search and looks like Dr. Bauman in FL offers topical finasteride mixed with Minoxidil.

Wondering if anyone has any experience with topical finasteride.

So I feel awfully stupid because I really didn't do a whole lot of research on my doctor and the different types of FUE. I had my HT done by Dr yaker in Dallas on November 21st 2016. After now understanding this is a big business where people get sold or suckered into things I'm little scared! Now it could turn out great who knows but again after knowing what I know now I'm concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by BARUBARY View Post
    So I feel awfully stupid because I really didn't do a whole lot of research on my doctor and the different types of FUE. I had my HT done by Dr yaker in Dallas on November 21st 2016. After now understanding this is a big business where people get sold or suckered into things I'm little scared! Now it could turn out great who knows but again after knowing what I know now I'm concerned.
    Post pics up in a new thread

Quote Originally Posted by JeanlucBergman View Post
    Post pics up in a new thread
    Yeah I've thought about that too sir. Just feel like at this point people will not be able to tell me anything I don't know because its so early ya know? Eventually I most def will

Can usually tell if a HT is going to come out nicely if you have pics from a few days after the procedure and your current state. 3 months is enough for a semi decent indication.

Quote Originally Posted by JeanlucBergman View Post
    Can usually tell if a HT is going to come out nicely if you have pics from a few days after the procedure and your current state. 3 months is enough for a semi decent indication.
    You think? Well I might go ahead and do it then. I have pics like the day of and the others would just be recent. I can tell you I don't notice a damn thing but I have had ingrown hairs maybe that's a good sign? And I can feel the top of my head and feel these tiny hairs just poking out. Now either those are the implanted hairs themselves or new ones who knows. I didn't get my head shaved... I kinda wished I did because I feel like I would be able to evaluate much better.

Unshaven never yields results as strong and you probably over paid in that case too because it's usually double standard FUE rates.

If you ask me we all over pay brother. These guys are making a killing. If I remember correctly I was fine with shaving if I needed to but he was like nope only the lazy doctors make you shave.