+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default New study on Avodart! Possible heart risk

I just stumbled upon this. The most recent study on Avodart

http://health.yahoo.com/news/ap/us_m...te_cancer.html

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/short/362/13/1192

I for one am seriously thinking of giving it up even though I'm only taking 0.5 every other day.

This is a very concerning study. When the incidence of heart failure almost doubles it’s probably time to reconsider using Avodart.

These studies are always questionable. Their was once a study that suggested that Proscar increased the risk of prostate cancer and then a couple of years later the researchers backtracked and a new study revealed that Proscar actually lowered the risk on cancer and now is prescribed to prevent cancer in high risk men. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston View Post
    These studies are always questionable. Their was once a study that suggested that Proscar increased the risk of prostate cancer and then a couple of years later the researchers backtracked and a new study revealed that Proscar actually lowered the risk on cancer and now is prescribed to prevent cancer in high risk men. Just saying.
    Agreed. I've read about what you mentioned. Nonetheless these facts were stumbled upon while trying to prove that avodart reduces the risk of cancer (it does but not significantly). I for one tend to give more credit to information like this, that surfaced accidentally. Don't know why...it's just a feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by crashul View Post
    Agreed. I've read about what you mentioned. Nonetheless these facts were stumbled upon while trying to prove that avodart reduces the risk of cancer (it does but not significantly). I for one tend to give more credit to information like this, that surfaced accidentally. Don't know why...it's just a feeling.
    I feel the same way. I know they’ll probably do more studies, but that’s a pretty big percentage of people who got heart failure while taking Avovart. I can’t imagine it being just a coincidence.

It won't stop me taking it. I'd still rather be dead than bald.

The risk doesn't seem that big. I think using dutasteride until a future "cure" comes out is still a great idea if you are young. It is only a bad idea if you are on tons of other medication, older and have a family history of heart disease.

Default true

Quote Originally Posted by KeepTheHair View Post
    The risk doesn't seem that big. I think using dutasteride until a future "cure" comes out is still a great idea if you are young. It is only a bad idea if you are on tons of other medication, older and have a family history of heart disease.
    Interesting point KeepTheHair. I must admit i never looked at it that way. The study was done upon a group of men between 50 and 75 years old.

But then again maybe I'm giving myself excuses to stay on the drug.

If the study was done on men 50-75 then wtf. Stay on the drug. If you are younger than 35 you have an extremely low risk of heart failure. I highly doubt this drug will effect us at all... even if you had heart failure in your family and you are 50...it is still a small percentage.

I am 20 years old, my heart is fine. I exercise plenty. If I can take this until histogen hits the market then I think it's a great idea. I am still deciding whether to take dutasteride or finasteride though... I am not sure which one.

any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by KeepTheHair View Post
    I am 20 years old, my heart is fine. I exercise plenty. If I can take this until histogen hits the market then I think it's a great idea. I am still deciding whether to take dutasteride or finasteride though... I am not sure which one.

any advice?
    I'm 24. I'm taking both finasteride and dutasteride one every other day the other in between. So far they don't seem to be doing much, but i haven't reached the 6 month line yet. My advice is this (i'm sure others can confirm it) take finasteride and only if that does not work consider dutasteride (as it is a more powerful drug).