+ Reply to Thread

Default Question for Rashid

Hello I see you are in Houston as am I. Not interested in getting a transplant but I want to see if fin is right for me. Are you the right person to see for this? Or would you recommend another doctor to aid me with this?

Thanks

Dr Rashid,

I want to ask you a question about dosage. Most people would say taking extra or increasing dosage on fin won't help much since it has a flat-dose response curve; but dut has a dose dependent response curve, does that mean increasing its dosage would make a difference. I've been taking dut 0.5mg for the last 7 months, I started taking 2 caps of dut last week and shedding has stopped. I don't take any fin anymore, only dut now. Do you think this extra dosage is going to help? I sure do think it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Rashid Rashid, MD, PhD View Post
    Every patient is different and blanket statements only work for a general idea and starting point. Before you undergo changes in dosage its best to have a doctor look at your scalp so they can follow and manage the plan with you.
    I remember a while ago you suggested me to increase dosage to 1mg, I was shedding heavily and lost a lot of hair in short period of time, so I was afraid to increase. You were right, what I was going through probably was TE.

I continued to take dut every day, shedding decreased, but still shed. Since I doubled the dosage of dut to 2 caps per day, shedding has stopped suddenly. It has been almost three weeks, shedding certainly has stopped.

I am glad you are doing better but please understand you should do medical management directly under the supervision of a doctor. Everything on this board is just educational and does not substitute direct medical care/opinion. I am offering some educational information which then needs to be undertaken directly with your doctor. You can use the IAHRS website to find local doctors.
    Dr Rashid, I have another question: Type-1 5AR enzymes are found in the sebaceous glands which is responsible for producing sebum that nourish the hair follicles. Does inhibiting type-1 5AR enzymes prevent the sebaceous glands from doing its jobs?

Every patient is different and blanket statements only work for a general idea and starting point. Before you undergo changes in dosage its best to have a doctor look at your scalp so they can follow and manage the plan with you.
    Dr Rashid,

Do you know any relationship between 5 beta reductase on hair loss? Looks like there is anther DHT that's 5-beta-DHT.

http://www.endocrine-abstracts.org/e...a0041GP174.htm

It's code named AKR1D1, and it's inhibited by finasteride, but not dutasteride.