Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JHD
    • Aug 2016

Question for Rashid

Hello I see you are in Houston as am I. Not interested in getting a transplant but I want to see if fin is right for me. Are you the right person to see for this? Or would you recommend another doctor to aid me with this?

Thanks
  • BaldingHelpMe
    • Sep 2015

Dr Rashid,

I want to ask you a question about dosage. Most people would say taking extra or increasing dosage on fin won't help much since it has a flat-dose response curve; but dut has a dose dependent response curve, does that mean increasing its dosage would make a difference. I've been taking dut 0.5mg for the last 7 months, I started taking 2 caps of dut last week and shedding has stopped. I don't take any fin anymore, only dut now. Do you think this extra dosage is going to help? I sure do think it does.

Comment

• BaldingHelpMe
      • Sep 2015

Originally posted by Rashid Rashid, MD, PhD
      Every patient is different and blanket statements only work for a general idea and starting point. Before you undergo changes in dosage its best to have a doctor look at your scalp so they can follow and manage the plan with you.
      I remember a while ago you suggested me to increase dosage to 1mg, I was shedding heavily and lost a lot of hair in short period of time, so I was afraid to increase. You were right, what I was going through probably was TE.

I continued to take dut every day, shedding decreased, but still shed. Since I doubled the dosage of dut to 2 caps per day, shedding has stopped suddenly. It has been almost three weeks, shedding certainly has stopped.

Comment

• BaldingHelpMe
        • Sep 2015

I am glad you are doing better but please understand you should do medical management directly under the supervision of a doctor. Everything on this board is just educational and does not substitute direct medical care/opinion. I am offering some educational information which then needs to be undertaken directly with your doctor. You can use the IAHRS website to find local doctors.
        Dr Rashid, I have another question: Type-1 5AR enzymes are found in the sebaceous glands which is responsible for producing sebum that nourish the hair follicles. Does inhibiting type-1 5AR enzymes prevent the sebaceous glands from doing its jobs?

Comment

• BaldingHelpMe
          • Sep 2015

Every patient is different and blanket statements only work for a general idea and starting point. Before you undergo changes in dosage its best to have a doctor look at your scalp so they can follow and manage the plan with you.
          Dr Rashid,

Do you know any relationship between 5 beta reductase on hair loss? Looks like there is anther DHT that's 5-beta-DHT.

It's code named AKR1D1, and it's inhibited by finasteride, but not dutasteride.

Comment

Working...